2018 Veteran QBs - the Mega Poll

Veteran QBs - Which One?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see the Bills target for 2018?

• Keep Tyrod (already signed; $$$)
    • Alex Smith (trade)
    • Kirk Cousins (free agent; $$$$)
    • Andy Dalton (trade)
    • AJ McCarron (free agent; $$)
    • Josh McCown (free agent; $$)
    • Chase Daniel (free agent; $)
    • Teddy Bridgewater (free agent; $$)
    • Case Keenum (free agent; $$$)
    • Sam Bradford (free agent; $$$)
    • Eli Manning (trade)
    • Matt Moore (free agent; $)

50 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, you do have a point. I’m not at all high on McCarron. The failed trade to the Browns tells us a lot about how the Bengals valued him. Dalton only has one year left on his contract, but even with the Bengals out of contention they showed no interest in seeing what he could do. I’m afraid he fits into that Mike Glennon category: he’ll get a big salary from someone to serve as that bridge guy, but his new team will be ready to move on from him after about 6 games. Is there any reason to think he’d be better than, say, Chase Daniel? I say that not because I like Chase Daniel (I don’t) but because he’ll be the cheapo alternative. 

I am thinking any quarterback from Minnesota is a better option.

On 1/8/2018 at 1:01 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

*facepalm*

Please define what you see as "enough of an upgrade"

Lol .... exactly . He' ll be paid far more than Tom Brady, but you won't be getting  Brady -like performance. That's the FA market at work. He'd be a HUGE upgrade from Taylor though. Just what do Bills fans thinkis a " big enough " upgrade from Taylor?  Tyrod can move, and doesn't turn the ball over. He's just awful at passing the football. Worst passing offense in the league. You're not going to get Rodgers or Brady, but still a major upgrade from terrible. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Um...  actually went 2-1 as a starter and lost to the Super Bowl champs by a FG... but details..

My source was Wikipedia

Steelers game 2015 = took over for Dalton in 1st quarter – lost 33-20

Then beat San Francisco 24-14

Then lost to Denver 20-17

Then lost to Steelers again 18-16

That is one win and 3 losses for AJ McCarron unless the info on Wikipedia is inaccurate.

12 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Weird, I remember over the last couple weeks reading posts from you saying you thought Taylor should stick around next year as long as we draft a QB high.

Here, less than a week ago, you even say "Why wouldnt we just keep Tyrod instead of trading for Smith?" when someone proposed the idea of trading for Smith

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/200700-lets-go-titans/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-4811106

So, what happened?  Are you being like everyone else and consistently changing your tune based on singular games?

I understand this thread, the reactions in it and threads like it. 

Rochesterfan had a good post earlier in a thread yesterday about Tyrod commenting on the "two sides digging in" and everything, but the funny thing is, most of us over on the "pro-Tyrod" side, as we've been labelled, have said nothing more than that he's a capable NFL starting QB who we should actively seek to upgrade on this coming offseason.  It's certain posters in this thread and their ilk who are gathering over in the thread about Cornhole's comments yesterday regarding Tyrod being the "worst passer (he) has ever seen" who are resorting to sheer lunacy based on an overtly trollish statement.

Tyrod might be back with the Bills

Tyrod might not be back with the Bills.

If he's not cut by the 3rd or 4th league day, I absolutely expect the Bills will be open to and even actively try to wheel and deal him, especially as draft time approaches and the Bills try to move up in the draft.

What I'm going to disagree with is the relationship between Taylor and the organization.  I think, aside from anything anyone says about his playing ability, everyone would agree that Tyrod is the consummate professional and, to top it off, he loves his teammates, if not the city of Buffalo. 

I don't think Tyrod is going to be the one insisting on a trade.

Bang didn't change his tune.  He just thinks there isn't a difference between Smith and Taylor.  He's not saying he wants Taylor to stick around.

You of all people shouldn't comment on  "Are you being like everyone else and consistently changing your tune based on singular games?"

After the Steelers game last year, you jumped off the Tyrod bangwagon.  Then literally the very next game against Cleveland, you hopped right back on.

12 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Weird, I remember over the last couple weeks reading posts from you saying you thought Taylor should stick around next year as long as we draft a QB high.

Here, less than a week ago, you even say "Why wouldnt we just keep Tyrod instead of trading for Smith?" when someone proposed the idea of trading for Smith

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/200700-lets-go-titans/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-4811106

So, what happened?  Are you being like everyone else and consistently changing your tune based on singular games?

I understand this thread, the reactions in it and threads like it. 

Rochesterfan had a good post earlier in a thread yesterday about Tyrod commenting on the "two sides digging in" and everything, but the funny thing is, most of us over on the "pro-Tyrod" side, as we've been labelled, have said nothing more than that he's a capable NFL starting QB who we should actively seek to upgrade on this coming offseason.  It's certain posters in this thread and their ilk who are gathering over in the thread about Cornhole's comments yesterday regarding Tyrod being the "worst passer (he) has ever seen" who are resorting to sheer lunacy based on an overtly trollish statement.

Tyrod might be back with the Bills

Tyrod might not be back with the Bills.

If he's not cut by the 3rd or 4th league day, I absolutely expect the Bills will be open to and even actively try to wheel and deal him, especially as draft time approaches and the Bills try to move up in the draft.

What I'm going to disagree with is the relationship between Taylor and the organization.  I think, aside from anything anyone says about his playing ability, everyone would agree that Tyrod is the consummate professional and, to top it off, he loves his teammates, if not the city of Buffalo. 

I don't think Tyrod is going to be the one insisting on a trade.

You being argumentative is adorable. I know what I’ve said. I’ve said before that I’d be fine if we keep Tyrod for another year to compete with a rookie. He’s at least a capable backup in this league. Where did I change my tune? By saying that at this point it’s probably best if both sides part ways? You’re trying too hard. There are better fights than this. 

And I really don’t care about the whole consulate professional/loves his teammates stuff. Doesn’t that apply to majority of the players in the league these days? All I care about is winning football games. At the end of the day that’s what this all comes down to and I believe this staff is ready to move on. Tyrod is probably better off trying to make it elsewhere as well since teams are always desperate for QBs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Bang didn't change his tune.  He just thinks there isn't a difference between Smith and Taylor.  He's not saying he wants Taylor to stick around.

You of all people shouldn't comment on  "Are you being like everyone else and consistently changing your tune based on singular games?"

After the Steelers game last year, you jumped off the Tyrod bangwagon.  Then literally the very next game against Cleveland, you hopped right back on.

Wish BBMB was back up so I could give you direct quotes, but that's not what happened.  I don't really need to do this, but since I generally respect you even though we butt heads a lot, I will:

I said we needed to move on from Taylor.  I said he wasn't the QB of the future for the Buffalo Bills.  At that point, I wanted him benched and wanted to see Cardale Jones to start the rest of the season because I wanted to see if he had any potential there.  I never at that point said Taylor sucked.  I never at that point said Taylor couldn't play QB in the NFL and I never said I thought he wouldn't be starting somewhere in the NFL the following year.

I just knew, at that point, he wasn't a Franchise QB.

I've really never changed my tune on Taylor.  After year 1 I wanted to see progress and thought he had a chance to be a Franchise QB.  After year 2 I felt we needed an upgrade but thought Taylor would be a good bridge until we got that guy... the Steelers game was the game that definitively got me to that point.  During the offseason I thought we might draft a QB, but we didn't.  As soon as we acquired all those draft choices I said the obvious plan was to draft our Franchise QB this year.

All the wavering you think I'm doing isn't happening, you just probably think I'm much more positive about him because I defend him.  But I mainly do that because I get seriously annoyed by hyperbole, and it's not just with things relating to the Buffalo Bills.

Those are my feelings on Taylor and what they've been for awhile now.  I'm super excited about the draft because I think we're really going to try to trade up.  But personally, I think Taylor is more likely to be around for one more year than us going out and getting one of those other veteran QBs. 

59 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You being argumentative is adorable. I know what I’ve said. I’ve said before that I’d be fine if we keep Tyrod for another year to compete with a rookie. He’s at least a capable backup in this league. Where did I change my tune? By saying that at this point it’s probably best if both sides part ways? You’re trying too hard. There are better fights than this. 

And I really don’t care about the whole consulate professional/loves his teammates stuff. Doesn’t that apply to majority of the players in the league these days? All I care about is winning football games. At the end of the day that’s what this all comes down to and I believe this staff is ready to move on. Tyrod is probably better off trying to make it elsewhere as well since teams are always desperate for QBs.

Fair enough :wub:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wish BBMB was back up so I could give you direct quotes, but that's not what happened.  I don't really need to do this, but since I generally respect you even though we butt heads a lot, I will:

I said we needed to move on from Taylor.  I said he wasn't the QB of the future for the Buffalo Bills.  At that point, I wanted him benched and wanted to see Cardale Jones to start the rest of the season because I wanted to see if he had any potential there.  I never at that point said Taylor sucked.  I never at that point said Taylor couldn't play QB in the NFL and I never said I thought he wouldn't be starting somewhere in the NFL the following year.

I just knew, at that point, he wasn't a Franchise QB.

I've really never changed my tune on Taylor.  After year 1 I wanted to see progress and thought he had a chance to be a Franchise QB.  After year 2 I felt we needed an upgrade but thought Taylor would be a good bridge until we got that guy... the Steelers game was the game that definitively got me to that point.  During the offseason I thought we might draft a QB, but we didn't.  As soon as we acquired all those draft choices I said the obvious plan was to draft our Franchise QB this year.

All the wavering you think I'm doing isn't happening, you just probably think I'm much more positive about him because I defend him.  But I mainly do that because I get seriously annoyed by hyperbole, and it's not just with things relating to the Buffalo Bills.

Those are my feelings on Taylor and what they've been for awhile now.  I'm super excited about the draft because I think we're really going to try to trade up.  But personally, I think Taylor is more likely to be around for one more year than us going out and getting one of those other veteran QBs. 

Trans...I wish BBMB was still up because I remember the conversation because (not to be disrespectful but I was shocked)....that's why I remembered it.

You did mention all the above but after the Browns game, you had a little more "pep" in your comments about Taylor.  I asked specifically if you're back on the Taylor bandwagon and you said "I just might be!".

Lets just stop talking about it.  I know you don't think he's a franchise QB.  
What we disagree with now is if he should be back next year.  I don't want anything to do with him, you are still open to it.  

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

If Mccaron was the next guy Cincy isnt not selling him to Cleveland.  Outside of Cousins, Keenum is the guy that is intriguing but is he more than Fitzpatrick?  I dont think he is.

So go hire Fitz back then?   Get Stevie and Spiller back?    And Chan?

I like it.  :thumbsup:  :lol:

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Trans...I wish BBMB was still up because I remember the conversation because (not to be disrespectful but I was shocked)....that's why I remembered it.

You did mention all the above but after the Browns game, you had a little more "pep" in your comments about Taylor.  I asked specifically if you're back on the Taylor bandwagon and you said "I just might be!".

Lets just stop talking about it.  I know you don't think he's a franchise QB.  
What we disagree with now is if he should be back next year.  I don't want anything to do with him, you are still open to it.  

I may have said that after the Dolphins game.  That I'd believe.  But asking the question of "are you back on the Taylor bandwagon" isn't the same thing as "do you think Taylor is a Franchise QB" so if you took me as being back on the Taylor bandwagon as me thinking he's a Franchise QB, then you're mistaken. 

I mean that seriously.  I'm not just trying to "win" in this case, even though I know that's what you're thinking.  I've always liked Taylor in terms of character and as a player.  But that doesn't mean that I also don't think we can or should try to upgrade on him.  

I can compartmentalize my fandom of player vs. fandom of team.  I'm a Bills fan, first and foremost and far and above being a fan of any player.  That's why I was upset when we cut Freddy and I still wear his jersey every week I watch a game, but I didn't follow him in Seattle or anything.

Yes, we still disagree.  I'm open to it because he's not nearly as bad as some advertise him as.  He's not even bad, depending, I guess, on your definition of "bad."

That doesn't mean if he's cut or traded or whatever (which is a distinct possibility) that I'm going to follow him to another team or start trashing whoever replaces him... unless it's Peterman because he blows.  0:)

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

I may have said that after the Dolphins game.  That I'd believe.  But asking the question of "are you back on the Taylor bandwagon" isn't the same thing as "do you think Taylor is a Franchise QB." 

I mean that seriously.  I'm not just trying to "win" in this case, even though I know that's what you're thinking.  I've always liked Taylor in terms of character and as a player.  But that doesn't mean that I also don't think we can or should try to upgrade on him.  

I can compartmentalize my fandom of player vs. fandom of team.  I'm a Bills fan, first and foremost and far and above being a fan of any player.  That's why I was upset when we cut Freddy and I still wear his jersey every week I watch a game, but I didn't follow him in Seattle or anything.

Yes, we still disagree.  I'm open to it because he's not nearly as bad as some advertise him as.  That doesn't mean if he's cut or traded or whatever (which is a distinct possibility) that I'm going to follow him to another team or start trashing whoever replaces him... unless it's Peterman because he blows.  0:)

I don't want Peterman or Taylor starting for us next year.  I don't think the regime does either.

We will have a new QB next year and hopefully we both like him and we can play nice.

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

My source was Wikipedia

Steelers game 2015 = took over for Dalton in 1st quarter – lost 33-20

Then beat San Francisco 24-14

Then lost to Denver 20-17

Then lost to Steelers again 18-16

That is one win and 3 losses for AJ McCarron unless the info on Wikipedia is inaccurate.

Nfl.com says there was also a Baltimore start/win 24-16 prior to the Steelers playoff loss.  Exemplary passer rating in those contests except the playoff game where he struggled. 

Wikipedia appears to neglect the bmore game in the text.

so 2-1 regulars season. 0-1 playoffs is where we end up. 

Still- I like the idea of unearthing this sort of player over chasing a topped out Alex Smith or overpriced Cousins. 

If not him- get us some other non bank breaking bridge to the future QB... 

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't want Peterman or Taylor starting for us next year.  I don't think the regime does either.

We will have a new QB next year and hopefully we both like him and we can play nice.

I cant imagine anyone thinks Peterman would be the plan. That’s season suicide 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Nfl.com says there was also a Baltimore start/win 24-16 prior to the Steelers playoff loss.  Exemplary passer rating in those contests except the playoff game where he struggled. 

Wikipedia appears to neglect the bmore game in the text.

so 2-1 regulars season. 0-1 playoffs is where we end up. 

Still- I like the idea of unearthing this sort of player over chasing a topped out Alex Smith or overpriced Cousins. 

If not him- get us some other non bank breaking bridge to the future QB... 

Yeah,  I have no issue with him competing for a job as long as the money is cheap.   If he breaks out, great.   No idea what kind of money he is going to command though.

On 1/8/2018 at 12:20 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would like to go the Seahawks route and sign a guy like AJ McCarron and draft a QB. Have Peterman, McCarron and the rookie fight it out in TC and use the cap savings to rebuild the O-line and D-Lines. 

Why do you think signing "a guy like AJ McCarron" is going the Seahawks route? 

Guy has a career record of 2-1 as a starter (2-2 in games with significant play) from 2015.  He played OK, but since then he's completed 7 of 14 passes for <5 ypa and gathered dust on the bench. 

The Seahawks signed Matt Flynn coming off a late season game in which he set league records.  I guess he was their Rob Johnson only without the 1st round pick, but the point is, the guy had shown smokin' hot right before he signed.

Wouldn't signing AJ McCarron be more like signing Tyrod Taylor or Chase Daniel or something - a Dark Horse FA you may think has some promise based on glimpses, but you really don't know much about?

I am strongly opposed to the Bills taking this kind of approach to the QB.  I want to see them get someone who has actually shown some quality at the QB position.  Failing that, sure pick an aging and canny vet to show the rookie the ropes, get him his version of Moore or Hasselbeck - but that vet guy is not AJ McCarron

7 hours ago, PolishDave said:

You keep trying to change the subject because you just can't dare admit I was right.   Dennison took a great running game and made it worse.    Dennison took a bad passing game and made it even worse.

Dennison is the OC but is not the run game person - Juan Castillo (Offensive Line / Run Game Coordinator) should get that blame.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I cant imagine anyone thinks Peterman would be the plan. That’s season suicide 

Anyone who currently wants Petersman as starting QB is a troll, a moll or a relative (could all).

23 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Dennison is the OC but is not the run game person - Juan Castillo (Offensive Line / Run Game Coordinator) should get that blame.

If Dennison is not responsible for the running game, then why did they make such a big deal announcing the new heavy emphasis on the outside zone runs that Dennison was bringing to Buffalo?

You don't go out of your way talking about how Dennison is going to modify the running offense if Dennison is delegating that responsibility over to Juan Castillo.

But I am totally fine with canning them both.

Or are we too late?  Execution of Juan Castillo scheduled for December 14th

Doh!

3 hours ago, PolishDave said:

If Dennison is not responsible for the running game, then why did they make such a big deal announcing the new heavy emphasis on the outside zone runs that Dennison was bringing to Buffalo?

You don't go out of your way talking about how Dennison is going to modify the running offense if Dennison is delegating that responsibility over to Juan Castillo.

But I am totally fine with canning them both.

Or are we too late?  Execution of Juan Castillo scheduled for December 14th

Doh!

An 11th hour court intervention. Juan Castillo lives!  http://www.theforgivenessfoundation.org/index.php/scheduled-executions/40-news/general/4132-texas-gives-juan-castillo-execution-date-of-may-24-2017

• Like (+1) 1