Does Alex Smith Lead The Bills To Victory Today?

Does Alex Smith Lead The Bills To Victory Today?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. If All Conditions Are The Same, Alex Smith Lead The Bills To Victory Today?

• YES
    • NO

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

There are many ways to lose a playoff game... Reid has been suspect in this department. I didn't see a whole lot that Smith did wrong yesterday. The QB isn't solely responsible for wins and losses as we all know , but sometimes.... Today's game was pretty much a referendum on which QB was more incompetent. While I wouldn't say that Smith could win ANY playoff game, he would easily have won this one. If I had to take one or the other to win a game, it would be Smith. Tyrod is just that bad at passing the football. 

I think Smith would have needed a bit more in the way of receiver and TE play than we had.  Not defending Taylor, but the WR corps didn't help us out much.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not tough for me. Was he bringing Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, and Kareem Hunt with to Jacksonville to play with him?

Taylor would overthrow them or not throw to them.

Something Smith doesn’t do.

Smith is significantly better than Taylor and it’s not even close.

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

I'd wager that the Bills WR corps ( save Zay Jones who is close to a lost cause) would look surprisingly competent with Smith passing the ball instead of the confused , overly cautious Tyrod. 

Smith is meh and that's why he's about to be on his 3rd team. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I'd wager that the Bills WR corps ( save Zay Jones who is close to a lost cause) would look surprisingly competent with Smith passing the ball instead of the confused , overly cautious Tyrod. 

Zay Jones isn’t even close to a lost cause. He played well today when the ball was thrown to him. He’ll be much improved in year 2.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Smith threw for over 4,000 yards and had a 26/5 TD/Int ratio.

Tyrod does that in his dreams.

Edited by Jay_Fixit

I'm not so sure. There were open receivers ( O'Leary , Thompson, even Benjamin) that Tyrod missed badly today. While the Bills WR is thoroughly average as NFL teams go, Taylor often makes them look worse than they are. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

And yet the sub - meh Taylor is constantly overrated by some Bills fans who have forgotten what an NFL QB looks like. Dead last in passing, and it's not hard to see why. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Looks like taylor is too though.

truly it’s an argument of 19th vs 22nd in the league (arbitrary numbers).... not a big gap, so pick the better fit with the system. I have a hard time seeing Taylor as the better fit.

I also think he smith would’ve taken 1-2 more shots for better or worse. Losing by more doesn’t hurt so maybe we win it he hits one.

Just now, NoSaint said:

truly it’s an argument of 19th vs 22nd in the league (arbitrary numbers).... not a big gap, so pick the better fit with the system. I have a hard time seeing Taylor as the better fit.

I also think he smith would’ve taken 1-2 more shots for better or worse. Losing by more doesn’t hurt so maybe we win it he hits one.

It sure does. Upgrade time!

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Patrick Mahomes hasn't done **** in the NFL and yet the Chiefs are moving on from Alex the Great.  They must be crazy just like the 49ers. 

latest?cb=20170104221923&path-prefix=pro

I'd just like to point out that the Chiefs have, in fact, not yet moved on from 'Alex the Great'. 

If they do, it is likely to be strictly a salary-cap driven decision.  Right now the Chiefs are projected $4.8M in the red for the new league year. 

They have to do something, and cutting or trading Smith saves them ~$10M in cap space. 

Their other two top-paid players are already signed through 2020 or 2021, so they probably don't want to renegotiate their contracts, and with Mahomes waiting, they probably don't want to extend Smith either.

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Most NFL teams would take Smith over Tyrod, and it's probably not close. He's a substantial upgrade from Taylor, but still a placeholder for a drafted (high) QB. 

This

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

In 2015/2016, you'd be right about the gap...20th vs 23rd/22nd vs 25th.

This year, though, Smith started the year on fire - 8th in passing yards - while with his new WR core and offensive scheme, Taylor has stayed the same (25th).

It remains to be seen if Smith will stay at that level.

Who cares? Dumb... what, are we going to invite Alex in and play it again tomorrow? With all the off season story lines this is REALLY what we wanna talk about? This might take the cake for silliest topic and this thought should have stayed in the next yr qb thread. Last thing it needed was its own thread. ...

Just now, gobills1212 said:

Who cares? Dumb... what, are we going to invite Alex in and play it again tomorrow? With all the off season story lines this is REALLY what we wanna talk about? This might take the cake for silliest topic and this thought should have stayed in the next yr qb thread. Last thing it needed was its own thread. ...

The point is whether we'll be significantly upgrading if we sign Alex Smith.  Speculating how he'd play in today's game isn't a fruitless exercise when deciding what to do at QB short and long term.

15 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Most NFL teams would take Smith over Tyrod, and it's probably not close. He's a substantial upgrade from Taylor, but still a placeholder for a drafted (high) QB. 

He's more polished and doesn't hold the ball forever like TT.  We might've squeaked out a 13-10 win. He's not a top 10 franchise guy but yes he's substantially better than TT. I'd rent him for 1 yr and draft a guy in april.

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The point is whether we'll be significantly upgrading if we sign Alex Smith.  Speculating how he'd play in today's game isn't a fruitless exercise when deciding what to do at QB short and long term.

I find it funny when people simply break down the point further as if it's essentially an argument. I get it... trust me... smh. Have fun with your delorian playing that one out. Don't forget to account for the wind condition. Meanwhile, looking forward to next year's season and potential playoff game might be a better use of ones time. Its over. It was a fun ride, but it is what it is. This is what 2017 was meant to be. Retool and look ahead to 2018.  If not...well...maybe when the answer has been reached youll choose to go back and evaluate how the Broncos season would have played out w tyrod on the roster. At least that'll keep you busy while meaningful discussion is happening elsewhere. 

Edited by gobills1212

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In 2015/2016, you'd be right about the gap...20th vs 23rd/22nd vs 25th.

This year, though, Smith started the year on fire - 8th in passing yards - while with his new WR core and offensive scheme, Taylor has stayed the same (25th).

It remains to be seen if Smith will stay at that level.

Weve seen enough of smith to say he’s probably not a top ten guy suddenly. He’s a decent, not great, option but much like fitz or Tyrod, or Orton, or... any of a bunch of journeyman type of guys— you hope you catch their good stretches while you look for a replacement.