Predictions from ESPN Insiders (and me) for our 2018 starting QB

Just now, Teddy KGB said:

Smith or Dalton aren’t world beaters but they give us more than we’ve had.  

Who knows how they would fare here 

I agree if this happens we have to draft a QB in the forst round to develop and have a future starter. 

6 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Apparently you have trouble reading. Let me help, better than expected does not mean in love with. In fact it’s kind of a back handed compliment. 

There was no “love” there and there is no word on the street that it’s intensified, that’s just in your head.

Sorry but you are wrong. And Beane/McD's actions will speak louder than words this offseason because regardless of whatever fantasy some fans have this team is dumping all their draft picks to move up and take one of the blue chip prospects that will be long gone anyway in the first 5 picks.

Not saying we won't draft another QB in round 2 or later because that might happen but NP will be the guy heading into 2018.

Edited by SaviorPeterman

Just now, SaviorPeterman said:

Sorry but you are wrong. And Beane/McD's actions will speak louder than words this offseason because regardless of whatever fantasy some fans have this team is dumping all their draft picks to move up and take one of the blue chip prospects that will be long gone anyway in the first 5 picks.

Not saying we won't draft another QB in round 2 or later because that might happen but NP will be the guy heading into 2018.

How does Peterman prefer to buy his beer?     A six pick at a time.  :lol:

Or is the pick 6 his favorite?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Right,  ok.

If Buffalo were to trade fore Alex Smith, he would still be serving as more or less a bridge QB, albeit for 3 or 4 years.  I think it is likely Buffalo will trade for Smith, and draft a QB, though I don't expect it will be Darnold (whom the Bills probably like).  I think Darnold is likely to be drafted first or second, and I don't think either of the top two teams in the draft are particularly looking to trade away the opportunity to draft a top QB.  I doubt Josh Allen drops to 21, and I don't know that Buffalo is willing to trade up for him.  The question is, will any QB available when Buffalo picks be one they want to use a first round pick on?  If not, the QB they draft is likely to be a project QB - all the more reason to acquire a veteran.  I expect the Bills training camp roster next July will have Peterman, a veteran (Smith), a midround pick, and a second (albeit low priced) veteran.  Peterman may in essence be competing with the rookie for a roster spot.

26 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

One of my contacts close to the QB situation texted me this morning while I was in high level meetings, to paraphrase he said the following:

"Savior (obviously not my real name), if NP was starting yesterday the Bills probably would have won. But now the Taylor experiment is over and Beane is going full steam ahead with NP being the starter heading into 2018. Beane is in love with this kid but look for a few other power moves but no big name QB's drafted/signed"

If true this confirms my own thoughts that NP will likely be the guy and we'll sign another journeyman to compete and back him up.

Glad to hear this, hope that it's true. I don't really get the hate on Peterman. Yes, he had a horrific start against the Chargers (I chalked it up to that first interception beginning a snowball effect for a team that was lost). He showed some play making ability in the blizzard game against the Colts. He showed playmaking ability in the Jags wildcard playoff game which unfortunately ended with a great NFL CB making a great play on the ball. At least he knows how it feels to be playing QB in the final two minutes of an NFL playoff game. He's not a rookie anymore.

For three years Bills fans have been crying above Taylor's lack of decision making, trigger pulling, and consistency in his accuracy. Now we get a rookie QB in here who has these very traits we've been waiting for in the starting QB, and they start crying about the turnovers. Part of the learning process of becoming a true franchise QB is learning what you can get away with in the NFL when throwing into tight windows against the fastest NFL CBs. Peterman is learning this just like other future franchise QBs did when they were rookies. Once Peterman gets dialed in on the timing with the WRs and the margins of the NFL throwing windows I think he will definitely be a much better QB in 2018 than Taylor was this year. I think there's a real chance his development gets to the Tony Romo level of franchise QB. Just the fact that they benched Tyrod for Peterman while they had a winning record tells you that they have a LOT of confidence in his future talent level.

Sign Bradford (or a similar veteran QB) to a one year deal for competition with Peterman, use the 1st round picks for LB and DT and the 2nd round picks for OL and RB (to help in extending McCoy's career here for another three years).

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

From the limited reading I have done on this it seems that none of the guys in this year's draft are considered as good as the guys in last year's draft (Watson especially).  So giving up a ton of picks on guys like a Rosen or Darnold seems unlikely.  You do that when there is a can't miss type guy, and none of the guys in this year's draft fit that description.

Thus, my bet is that they go out and get a guy in free agency.  And looking at those potentially available, to me there is one obvious choice:

Cousins.  I say that based on a recent SI article about him.  He is all about process, and he is a film rat.  Studies hard all the time.  His approach to the game would fit perfectly with what McDermott and Beane are trying to build as far as the team mentality.  And he has performed pretty well in Washington.

McDermott and Beane know they need better QB play.  One of the first things Beane said when he was hired is that you have to have a QB to win in the league.  Is Cousins that guy?  Maybe, maybe not.    But unless they are really sold on one of the guys in the draft, I think it'll be Cousins.  And then they'll draft a guy with their second first round pick or one of the second round picks, someone they feel has the physical tools (maybe a Rudolph or a Falk or the kid from Western KY). 

Depending who you listen to.  Alot of what I have read and listened to rank Darnold and def Rosen above Geoff and Wentz coming out.  This is a very good Qb class.  Allen and Jackson are the most gifted in a long time.  Allen has the best arm since Rodgers and Jackson is the most dynamic Qb since Vick.  There is a little bit for everyone in terms of what you want at Qb.  Mayfield is in the mid tier with Mason Rudolph.  Both have the lowest in terms of potential.  Top 4 Qbs will be Rosen Darnold, Allen, and Jackson.  Imo with 2 first rounders and all the capital the team has aquired they need to walk out of the draft with 1 of those 4 Qbs.  Rosen is best fit for the team and is the most pro ready.

Thompson could've easily closed the distance and moved towards the ball to prevent the INT, especially considering the DB did just that and was further away from the ball than he was.

However, I do not want to see Peterman as the starter next year unless he somehow just lights it up in camp & preseason, and earns that spot surprising everyone (like Russell Wilson). 

I don't see it happening, but stranger things have happened. I just hope we put serious effort into getting a franchise QB in the draft, and even FA if they find a guy they think is a great fit.

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

One of my contacts close to the QB situation texted me this morning while I was in high level meetings, to paraphrase he said the following:

"Savior (obviously not my real name), if NP was starting yesterday the Bills probably would have won. But now the Taylor experiment is over and Beane is going full steam ahead with NP being the starter heading into 2018. Beane is in love with this kid but look for a few other power moves but no big name QB's drafted/signed"

If true this confirms my own thoughts that NP will likely be the guy and we'll sign another journeyman to compete and back him up.

I highly doubt anybody said this, and if they did, they're not close to the QB situation. 

There's really no way I see Peterman as the coach's choice to start next year even before the draft. The Bills have got to be seriously looking for a QB in the draft, as it would be stupid to just hang their hat on someone they thought worthy of only a 5th round pick.

Unless Peterman was getting starting reps the entire week, I highly doubt he'd do great against the #1 passing defense in the league. 

Wayyy too early predictions:

-Alex Smith is the starting QB after trading Glenn and a 4th to KC for him

-Bills do not draft a QB in the draft instead solidifying DE, DT, OL, & LB in the first two rounds to add to the defense which also grabs Star Loutelli in FA.

-Nick Chubb quietly is the steal of the draft for the Bills who get him in the 3rd round and have a true solid backup to Shady and future heir to the starting RB role

-Paul Richardson is added in FA to a WR core making him the 2/3 guy behind Benjamin & D Thompson who is kept after a solid season. Jay Jones is put on notice to earn his wayy back into the Top 3 after far too many drops

-Charles Clay is cut because Nick O'Leary does the same thing for cheaper. O'Leary is your starting TE with Logan Thomas ascending up to #2

-Preston Brown is also told to take a walk out along with Tolbert, Humber, & Brandon Tate

-DeMario Davis & 1st rnd pick join Matt Milano as starting LB's.

-EJ Gaines signs a 4 year deal to stay here at CB for 6 million, with a team option to let him go after year two or keep him

-Kyle Williams & Lo'Alexander stay for one more run with the boys

It will be Cousins. 

Not sure why everyone seems to think the next Brady, Elway, Marino or Kelly is coming out of college anytime soon. Just not happening. The college game has changed and it's limiting the QB position for the NFL. 

The Bills are better off picking up a QB in the offseason and using the draft picks to fill areas of need, then once they have a solid roster in place they can move up and grab a younger QB they like. 

IMO there aren't any QBs coming out of college that are going to take over a game and win it for you like back in the day. Times change.

23 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I highly doubt anybody said this, and if they did, they're not close to the QB situation. 

There's really no way I see Peterman as the coach's choice to start next year even before the draft. The Bills have got to be seriously looking for a QB in the draft, as it would be stupid to just hang their hat on someone they thought worthy of only a 5th round pick.

Unless Peterman was getting starting reps the entire week, I highly doubt he'd do great against the #1 passing defense in the league. 

Why would that be such a shock? They’ve already benched a healthy Taylor with a 5-4 record in favor of starting Peterman. They've made big bold moves by getting rid of Watson, Darby and Dareus. 

They don’t care what the opinions on Peterman are of the fans or media. They have a plan and I can totally see that if they feel Peterman is ready to become the starter, that they are convinced he has the talent and he has developed enough to take that next step, that they will move forward with him as the 2018 Bills starting QB and they may not even draft a QB from this class. They could just sign a veteran as his backup.

9 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Wayyy too early predictions:

-Alex Smith is the starting QB after trading Glenn and a 4th to KC for him

-Bills do not draft a QB in the draft instead solidifying DE, DT, OL, & LB in the first two rounds to add to the defense which also grabs Star Loutelli in FA.

-Nick Chubb quietly is the steal of the draft for the Bills who get him in the 3rd round and have a true solid backup to Shady and future heir to the starting RB role

-Paul Richardson is added in FA to a WR core making him the 2/3 guy behind Benjamin & D Thompson who is kept after a solid season. Jay Jones is put on notice to earn his wayy back into the Top 3 after far too many drops

-Charles Clay is cut because Nick O'Leary does the same thing for cheaper. O'Leary is your starting TE with Logan Thomas ascending up to #2

-Preston Brown is also told to take a walk out along with Tolbert, Humber, & Brandon Tate

-DeMario Davis & 1st rnd pick join Matt Milano as starting LB's.

-EJ Gaines signs a 4 year deal to stay here at CB for 6 million, with a team option to let him go after year two or keep him

-Kyle Williams & Lo'Alexander stay for one more run with the boys

These seem like plausible predictions to me.  I don't like it, particularly.  I like Mayfield and I can't get excited about a 34 year old qb unless he's a bridge to a potential franchise qb.  I prefer Sony Michel to Chubb, but as a UGA fan, I am good with either.  If you go LB in the first, sure would be nice to get Roquan Smith, but you'd have to trade up.  No way he lasts to #21.

19 minutes ago, Yav said:

It will be Cousins. 

Not sure why everyone seems to think the next Brady, Elway, Marino or Kelly is coming out of college anytime soon. Just not happening. The college game has changed and it's limiting the QB position for the NFL. 

The Bills are better off picking up a QB in the offseason and using the draft picks to fill areas of need, then once they have a solid roster in place they can move up and grab a younger QB they like. 

IMO there aren't any QBs coming out of college that are going to take over a game and win it for you like back in the day. Times change.

Wentz, Goff, Cam, Mariota, Luck, Wilson, Garrapolo, all say hello. 

To a smaller degree Cousins, Prescott, Jamieis, and Watson also say “what?”

Edited by Teddy KGB

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

These seem like plausible predictions to me.  I don't like it, particularly.  I like Mayfield and I can't get excited about a 34 year old qb unless he's a bridge to a potential franchise qb.  I prefer Sony Michel to Chubb, but as a UGA fan, I am good with either.  If you go LB in the first, sure would be nice to get Roquan Smith, but you'd have to trade up.  No way he lasts to #21.

I understand the want for a new QB drafted and as someone who didn't want EJ but bought his jersey after the second game I would be excited. New drafted QB's offer such hope and fun. BUT based off what McD/Frazier have said about the offense only needing to score 24 pts with the defense doing the rest and the holes that Beane created I just can't see the Bills going all out for a QB. I actually really like Mayfield also, but with how this group is focused I think its far more plausible that 2019 is the QB draft year and 2018 they strengthen the roster. Respectfully my $.02

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, simool said:

I don't get all of the Baker Mayfield love.  Screw that.  White will end up being the best value in this draft. 

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article187739178.html

I guess you have not watched him play this year.  Don't know what you are talking about. He is exactly what the Bills need and must draft him no matter the cost especially based on what happened yesterday!!!

Go Baker!!! Go Bills!!!

14 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I understand the want for a new QB drafted and as someone who didn't want EJ but bought his jersey after the second game I would be excited. New drafted QB's offer such hope and fun. BUT based off what McD/Frazier have said about the offense only needing to score 24 pts with the defense doing the rest and the holes that Beane created I just can't see the Bills going all out for a QB. I actually really like Mayfield also, but with how this group is focused I think its far more plausible that 2019 is the QB draft year and 2018 they strengthen the roster. Respectfully my $.02

No!No!No! Without a QB you have no chance.and this is the year to draft one...

37 minutes ago, DE Bills Fan said:

I guess you have not watched him play this year.  Don't know what you are talking about. He is exactly what the Bills need and must draft him no matter the cost especially based on what happened yesterday!!!

Go Baker!!! Go Bills!!!

No!No!No! Without a QB you have no chance.and this is the year to draft one...

You can hope all you want, the days of us spending draft capital to bring in immature players that make bad decisions are over.   No way in hell McBean drafts him. 

Edited by simool