Offseason Discussion: Linebackers

Numark3

Despite a tough loss in the playoffs, this season was objectively a step forward: with a team many predicted would get 4-6 wins, the Bills ended the playoffs drought.  Now the off-season is upon us, and the bills should have plenty of cap room and draft picks to address their needs.  I figured it would be great to take a look at the different units.  Let's talk linebackers!

[Quarterback-- Offensive Line-- Wide Receivers -- Tight Ends -- Defensive Line -- Linebackers -- Secondary -- Special Teams]

Starters

SLB - Alexander (signed through 2018)

MLB - Brown (free agent)

WLB - Milano (signed through 2020)

Depth

SLB - Lacey (signed through 2019)

MLB - Vallejo (signed through 2020)

WLB - Humber (free agent)

ProFootball Focus Season Ratings

Milano (Average)

Alexander (Poor)

Brown (Poor)

Humber (Poor)

Questions

1) Do we resign Brown or not?  If not, we have one opening starter spot.  This may be a position the front office would like to upgrade this offseason.   

2) And how big of a need is outside linebacker?  Right now we have Milano and Alexander, but Alexander is fairly old and signed for only one more year.  And regardless, Alexander may be better suited in more of a depth role than he played this year. 

3) Bring back Humber for depth?  He seemed to drop off after his injury early in the season. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Crayola64

I do wish we had Milano out there today to help stop Bortles from running around like Michael Vick.  But I think he is the likeliest of the three to be a starter here next season.  I'm fine either way with Brown.  It would be nice to get a stud linebacker in the draft to replace him, but those generally don't fall outside of the top 12 or so picks.  I'd like to get a new starting OLB to push alexander down the depth chart though. 

I'd like to see Brown return. I still think we need to draft a LB too, but Brown lead the league in tackles this year, and is pretty consistent. He's not going to get to the QB, but he was pretty darn good out there today (as was the entire defense).

4 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Defense was great today if you take away the Bortles rushing, and still think not having Studlano play hurt this team more than most realize.

But heading into the offseason we definitely need to replace Alexander and Brown and both likely played their last game as Bills today.

Alexander should be one of the first releases..not sure why they renewed him for 2yrs last spring.

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Best of luck getting a guy like that.

I was pissed we missed Keuchley by one pick and got stuck with Gilmore :angry:

Texas LB Malik Jefferson could be available in the first.

Another kid I like is Leighton Vander Esch from Boise in the latter rounds but could be a steal. He's 6'4" 240 and can play every spot and can rush, cover and stuff.

We need more speed here. Brown is just too slow. Milano is really the only guy who fits this defense. Our lack of speed at the linebacker position is really what cost us the game in my opinion. Bortles scrambling could have been limited with more athleticism at the linebacker spot. That and the inability to get to the passer really hurt us.

Dynamic, athletic linebackers in the mold of Deion Jones and Telvin Smith are what this team needs. Most importantly we need a Mike. One of the problems is that there isn't going to be much on the free agent market unless guys get cut. My first call in free agency would be to Tahir Whitehead to make him my MIKE. I also try to sign Star Lotulelei, then suddenly I feel better about the front seven. Draft a defensive end with one of the first round picks and you effectively fill some holes. 

Preston Brown is not coming back.  The MLB is one of the most important players in McDermott's defense.  I am pretty sure he'll want to upgrade for a faster and more athletic linebacker.  In fact in a perfect world, he'd trade up for Roquon Smith from Georgia.   

Also he did lead the league in tackles this year and that should get him a good deal on the open market.  That makes him to expensive to bring in as depth.

Milano is probably good enough to either start or compete at WLB.  As for the rest, it's probably time to let Ramon Humber walk, because again I think they want a faster and more athletic linebacker.  

Alexander definitely does not fit the scheme.  I do think he could be a decent edge rusher in certain situations.  But if the BIlls are tight against the cap, I can see them moving on him from which is too bad because I love his personality

Preston Brown is as good as gone. Another team will give him a big contract.

Ramon Humber has played fine, but he's on the wrong side of 30, and Milano has played very good.

I would like to keep Lorenzo Alexander. He's a good situational pass rusher and his contract is minimal.

I think the Bills will look for Linebackers in both the draft and free agency.

36 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Defense was great today if you take away the Bortles rushing, and still think not having Studlano play hurt this team more than most realize.

But heading into the offseason we definitely need to replace Alexander and Brown and both likely played their last game as Bills today.

Maybe but at the end of the day, they gave up 10 points!  How much better could they have played??????