Solution at QB?

wppete

A lot of these Smith posts make no sense. Alex Smith is a good starting calibre NFL QB. Something not seen in Blo for a long long time. With AS, another good draft and FA we compete for the division next year. He'd be the perfect mentor to Nate and whoever else we draft. What's not to like? Last time he went for two seconds. Might be worth on second today, or a third and a seventh? 

If Andy takes a third great.

Dont know about this year's QB class. Some say that last year's with Mitch, Watson and Mahomes was quite a bit better. That could be true. To me Rosen will be a good pocket passer. Darnold is very raw and has evident flaws but a higher ceiling. The most intriguing guy is Josh Allen. He has the highest ceiling. If he can read a defence, go through his progressions and process what's going on around him in real time he will be great. I expect that's what scouts and GMs are trying to figure out.  I don't think Beane would draft a diminutive QB so Mayfield is not happening IMO.  Don't know that Rudolph is good enuf to be taken as "the guy".

Maybe they take a kid they like on day three.

Would love to know what the thinking is at OBD.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

We danced this dance last night. Your opinion is Smith cost them the game and mine is 100% the opposite of that, I believe coaching and their D cost them the game. We can move on from that game that benefited the Bills anyways.

That said, How would you like to see the Bills handle the QB situation? For me it's still this --> 

Go Smith (vet) and draft Rudolph or Mayfield to learn behind him. I can careless if we use both our first rd picks doing so. I'm tired of talking about OUR QB problems since Kelly retired. I'm sure most fans feel the same.

Let's just get this thing right.

Actually our thoughts are exactly the same. Vet and Rudolph or Mayfield. We differ on which vet though. Personally I've never been a fan of Smith. He, to me represents the kind of QB we need to move on from. I'm willing to wait and see what's available. What I do know is that I don't want to waste draft picks on Alex Smith. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If Dennison is here, I could see Brock not being terrible. He’s not great but he’s not as bad as people think. I liked Glennon before this season, but this year kind of soured me.

Brock is horrible. You know that.

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t want Keenum. That guy is complete fools gold. He is never going to have this season again in another situation. His own coach keeps looking for any reason to play the other guy.

No to Keenum.

Yes to Cousins, Smith, Mccarron/Dalton, Eli

Maybe to Bradford, Glennon, Brock

or trade up to 1 and take Darnold

I would even wonder if there is any possible way that the Bucs might be willing to move on from Winston. If they somehow were, I would be very interested or aggressive towards that. Just doubt it’s likeky or even possible.

Don't see how you can say No to Keenum but consider Glennon, Osweiler or McCarron. (And I don’t want Winston either, even in the very unlikely event they cast him off). 

45 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I personally think we move on to NE with Smith, all opinion based though. I just want to cover both as I'm concerned the rookie busts and sets us back 3yrs or so straight. Hit it hard in FA and the draft for once in my life time. Please....

34 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

So at best we would have won this game.  They aren't getting by the Pats or the Steelers with him.  Sorry, I just think that Smith is the pinnacle of game manager.  Good enough for regular season wins, but not good enough to win the whole show.  Would make a great bridge QB while a real rookie QB is developed, but at what cost?

We certainly would have played at home today with Smith and maybe beat NE at home in the regular season.  This is a very good football team with Alex Smith at QB. He would be my vote with NP as the backup for 2018. Use the draft this year to sure up the lines and the LB position. The only caveat is if a QB they love falls to 21 for some crazy reason.  

3 minutes ago, Chadwick Bay Chad said:

The deal for Smith is in the works. We will trade a third and fifth for him. We may have to include Hughes 

Would definitely do a third and the fifth but no to Hughes.  If I’m Mcdermitt I tell read “look, I gave you your quarterback of the future.   Least you can do is give us a discount on the trade.”

36 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Smith 4000 yards, 67.5% completion %, 26 TD, 5 INT

Tyrod 2700 yards, 62% completion, 14 TD, 4 INT

Pretty obvious. 1300 more yards, almost double the TDs, and only 1 more INT.

I'm not "on the smith bandwagon", but he's better than Taylor

He plays in a QB friendly system in KC. Taylor is a poor fit in the Dennison offense. 

No way Alex Smith puts up those numbers if he was the QB under center for the Bills this year.

I know a lot of people like Baker Mayfield, but to me you have the same problem we have with Tyrod. Baker is not a WCO quarterback. He is a guy, like Tyrod, like Lamar Jackson, like Mariota, that you need to build an offense for. Sticking Baker Mayfield in Dennison's offense solves nothing. 

That's why I like Mike McCoy...he made Tebow serviceable, worked with Manning, Rivers...I think he can make an offense fit any skill set. 

I don't know what the solution is. But Tyrod at best is a placeholder QB while you develop a rookie. 

I do think that Kirk Cousins at a near 30 million dollar a year cap hit isn't the answer, Alex Smith, in my opinion, is a marginal upgrade to Tyrod who wouldn't be worth the premium pick and cap space. Eli Manning is the only other QB that could be out on the market that I would consider a significant upgrade over Tyrod. But I don't think that Eli will be available Now if you can get Cousins at around 22 million a year I would consider that if he fits the system they plan to run I would take that, it would still leave the Bills with some cap space (Cut Tyrod and you only spend about 8 million on Cousins) and all of their picks to fill out the roster. 

The bold move at QB would be to trade up for one of the top 2 QB's in the draft by spending both 1sts, a 2nd, and next years 1st to do so. But that's bankrupting 2 drafts worth of picks and certainly very risky as neither QB's are considered generational type prospects. Maybe a QB falls to the 8-10 range and they can do  a more reasonable trade up and then keep Tyrod for one more year?