A few players away

When you look at this team we are only a few players away from being a top team. I would set the offseason plan as follows:

1. Upgrade the quarterback position either through the draft or free agency.

2. Upgrade both lines. Especially the tackle and right guard position. 

3. Add a true number 2 back 

4. Add another legit receiving threat. 

5. Resign Gaines and keep our defensive backs in place. 

We we have a solid core now we just need to build on it. This team can compete for years to come. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

I think we need a lot of players: QB, RB (Shady's not getting younger), OL, WR, DL and LB.  Only our defensive secondary was solid.

Yet McD took this team of no-names to the playoffs.  And while we lost, we looked like we belonged - at least on defense.

If Beane turns out to be a good GM and makes the roster stronger, we could be a perennial playoff team.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

When you look at this team we are only a few players away from being a top team. I would set the offseason plan as follows:

We we have a solid core now we just need to build on it. This team can compete for years to come. Go Bills!

The LBs aren't good enough. 

28 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

Your  "few players away" analysis appears to be a massive rebuild. And you didn't even get to the KR need.

Lots of holes to fill beyond the QB and WR positions:

1.)  At least two LBs

2.)  Right OT and OG

3.)  Run-stuffing DT / Pass rushing DT (ideally the same player)

4.)  Speedy complimentary RB

5.)  O-line depth for Wood and Incognito, who could hit the wall at any time

6.)  TE to stretch the field

That might be the best secondary in the game. They play as one . Huge props to the whole defense. 

Build around them. Get Cousins for Shady. Draft a number 2 back that complements him in the 2nd Rd.

But build on that D through the draft and upgrade QB and we're contending with the big dogs

10 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

One player away.  

QB

Nope!  In fact, it has been our addiction to trying to find the next Jim Kelly as the ONE thing we need which to me has been the primary reason we have missed the playoffs for 17 byears.

Whether it was anointing a player to start before he is developed (ex: we made Todd Collins our starter when he clearly was too afraid of the sack and would get happy feet under pressure), or we made foolish decisions (giving RJ a cap hit mint when he clearly had serious injury problems in the past and this was really stupid when we had already given Flutie an incentive laden contract and when the injury prone RJ went out, Flutie simply performed sandbagging the cap, or the Bills braintrust simply failed in developing players from Losman through Peterman by rushing them to start.

The good football move for us to make is to make our priorities:

1. Build in the trenches- a solid  stopper/pass rusher (or two) to replace Kyle Williams

2. Another talent on the OL

3. A solid LB

4. A #2 for the still productive but aging Shady

5. A better alternative at QB but we should not get distracted from trench improvement.  I think we should upgrade from TT if one can be found after or outside of the highr priorities this year

6. In fact, I'm very interested in trying to find a better OC.

This team is not one player away from going deep in the playoffs.

Most teams are a 'few players away'. We are quite a few away. We need a couple O lineman, a couple D lineman, another WR, backup RB and probably 2 QB's. A linebacker or 2, and need to sign Gaines or we would need another CB.

14 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Most teams are a 'few players away'. We are quite a few away. We need a couple O lineman, a couple D lineman, another WR, backup RB and probably 2 QB's. A linebacker or 2, and need to sign Gaines or we would need another CB.

i think u nailed it pretty much. we need a lot. Lets see how talented our new GM is.

Id say we are quite a few players away.  QB being the big one.  Then a pass rusher and LBer. Also a receiver that has speed/hands/can separate.  Maybe a lineman too.  Problem is we have some aging talent on this team that are going to make even more holes soon.