Bills vs. Jaguars Wild Card Postgame

Terrific performances from both Defenses, aided and abetted by awful QB play, from both teams.

Bills couldn't take their big opportunity in the first half, and the Jags took theirs in the second.

We didn't get turnovers, and the Jags did. Small margins, but when we weren't playing with a lead, we never looked like being able to score in a hurry.

It is pretty obvious what we need to do beginning immediately. Fire Dennison and get an OC to work with and get a FA QB with all the financial means necessary. Then use our picks to plug holes. McDermott is a good coach, but his OC sucks. And, Taylor is done, his running an athleticism are not even doing much anymore. It was clearly not our day as Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

It is pretty obvious what we need to do beginning immediately. Fire Dennison and get an OC to work with and get a FA QB with all the financial means necessary. Then use our picks to plug holes. McDermott is a good coach, but his OC sucks. And, Taylor is done, his running an athleticism are not even doing much anymore. It was clearly not our day as Bills fans.

This +1

This game was there for the taking. But the Bills failed to make any plays when they needed to.  It was a team effort..... Too many dropped passes, missed throws, poorly timed holding penalties, dropped interceptions, bad play call for the situation.    At some point... Good teams just need to make those plays.  Today, we didn't.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

well stated horned dogs

32 minutes ago, Dan said:

This game was there for the taking. But the Bills failed to make any plays when they needed to.  It was a team effort..... Too many dropped passes, missed throws, poorly timed holding penalties, dropped interceptions, bad play call for the situation.    At some point... Good teams just need to make those plays.  Today, we didn't.

Pretty much sums it up. They had many ways to win this game, many potential game-changers went unmade. JAX looked like the most beatable home team in the playoffs today, Bills can only blame themselves. 

• Like (+1) 1

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

LeSean McCoy doesn't want to hear about how this playoff run might have been a "building block" for Buffalo. McCoy: "We could have won this game. I've never won a playoff game. I wanted to win this game and get it rolling. We had a solid team, good enough team. A great defense. Playmakers. I don't care about the 'building blocks.' I live now, in the moment. And the moment is that we could have won this game. I'm not thinking about the future. I'm thinking about now. We had this thing now. We win this game, we roll into New England. They're one of the best teams but for the most part, we've played them well. We're still a good team, but I was looking forward to that. It stinks."

Game report: Jaguars 10, Bills 3

20181207-firstoff.jpg

A quick look at the Jaguars’ 10-3 victory over the Buffalo Bills in an AFC Wild Card playoff game at EverBank Field Sunday.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

9 minutes ago, WMDman said:

I heard shady threw TT under the bus. Any word on what he said?

Shady's locker room interview he took a jab at Taylor or Dennison. 

He outplayed Fournette all day . You can hear the frustration in his voice

Edited by JerseyBills

46 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

You fire the OC after one year, where the QB misses reads

This.

I saw some very creative play calling unfortunately with a QB who cannot pre-read a defense and completely misses big opportunities. Listen closely to Romo. I don't think you can change offensive systems every year and ever be successful. 

2 minutes ago, Heathcliff said:

This.

I saw some very creative play calling unfortunately with a QB who cannot pre-read a defense and completely misses big opportunities. Listen closely to Romo. I don't think you can change offensive systems every year and ever be successful. 

This was my point. The qb just doesn’t see it

BUF-Bills-Header.png

TOP 5 GRADES:

Jordan Poyer87.0 overall grade

DE Lorenzo Alexander83.4 overall grade

CB Tre’Davious White83.1 overall grade

LB Preston Brown83.1 overall grade

CB E.J. Gaines80.3 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:

QB TYROD TAYLOR53.4 OVERALL GRADE

In what ultimately may be his last game as a Bill, Taylor was unable to make the plays the team needed. He was cruelly denied a chance to lead a late comeback because of injury, but the work before that didn’t suggest he had the tools to overcome the Jaguars’ fearsome defense. Taylor hit on just three passes further than 10 yards in the air as the Jaguars regularly got pressure on him (16 of 43 dropbacks). Taylor has done enough in his time at Buffalo to earn a shot elsewhere, but in this, his biggest game, he didn’t do enough to make the decision-makers in Buffalo think it will be with them.

WR KELVIN BENJAMIN40.8 OVERALL GRADE

An unlikely playoff run sparked an aggressive move for Benjamin, with the big-bodied receiver meant to add a new dimension to the Bills passing attack. It hasn’t played out that way. If anything highlighted this it was with the Bills in a goal-to-go situation, twice throwing to Benjamin in the end zone and the physical receiver not only unable to haul either in, but also getting called for an offensive pass interference penalty that put Buffalo in a position they were never likely to score from. If Benjamin wants to be the top guy in Buffalo, for whoever is throwing, he’ll need to be far more productive next year.

LB LORENZO ALEXANDER83.4 OVERALL GRADE

Alexander was a man possessed in this game for the Bills, single-handedly trying to keep the Jags off the scoreboard at times. His six stops were a season high, his most since Week 5 last season against the Rams, and his goal-line stop on a leaping Leonard Fournette deserved more than setting up the Jags’ game-winning touchdown on fourth and goal. Alexander added a tackle for a loss on the Jags’ final meaningful drive as well, giving the Bills’ offense opportunities whenever he could.

DE JERRY HUGHES78.9 OVERALL GRADE

Brown added 3 stops to his season total today, taking it to 46 for the entire 2017 season, just one shy of his career high set last season. Brown let up 30 yards in coverage for the 10th time this season but in such a run-heavy game his play against the run came to the fore. Unfortunately for the Bills all their hard work in run defense — holding Leonard Fournette under 3 yards per carry — was for naught.

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Shady's locker room interview he took a jab at Taylor or Dennison. 

He outplayed Fournette all day . You can hear the frustration in his voice

If you listen to the whole interview , he really didn't take a jab. Qualified it by pointing out there was a play he lobbied for and when they ran it was unsuccessful . So he said he " gets it". It's only if taken out of context that it could be considered a jab. He shot straight from the hip and I liked his interview. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills' defense played their hearts out. I was impressed by their energy and tenacity. It tells me that McDermott must be doing something right.

I feel bad for them all, but they should be proud of themselves. 

The offense needs work.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. K said:

The Bills' defense played their hearts out. I was impressed by their energy and tenacity. It tells me that McDermott must be doing something right.

I feel bad for them all, but they should be proud of themselves. 

The offense needs work.  

Agreed. This was one of the most frustrating games I have watched. Unfortunately, it happened during the playoffs. The swing of emotions in the last 24 hours has been crazy.