How much better has Tyrod made our OL look?

Punt75

IF we had a stand in the pocket QB with a rifle arm would he succeed with this OL?  How many times per game does Tyrod avoid sacks within a few seconds after the snap?  How many times does he scramble around and complete a pass?  How many times does he run for his life and gain positive yardage?

I'd bet Tyrod does the above 5 times per game.  That's 80 times in a season.  If he was sacked 1/2 of these plays it would be 40 plays for 7-10 yard losses. 

He's definitely not the best QB in the NFL but Tyrod makes this weak Bills OL look a lot better than it is!!!

If we had a true pocket passing, quick read QB able to run the offense the coaching staff wants to run the O line would not have to hold their blocks as long because the ball would already be out. I like Tyrod but he's a square peg in a round peg offense.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

IF we had a stand in the pocket QB with a rifle arm would he succeed with this OL?  How many times per game does Tyrod avoid sacks within a few seconds after the snap?  How many times does he scramble around and complete a pass?  How many times does he run for his life and gain positive yardage?

I'd bet Tyrod does the above 5 times per game.  That's 80 times in a season.  If he was sacked 1/2 of these plays it would be 40 plays for 7-10 yard losses. 

He's definitely not the best QB in the NFL but Tyrod makes this weak Bills OL look a lot better than it is!!!

giphy.gif

While I question some of the blocking schemes, Tyrod is known for holding the ball way too long. The Oline is blocking best they can in those 5-6 seconds.

Its when McCoy is hitting contact 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage when I question wtf the plan was.

Edited by What a Tuel

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

While I question some of the blocking schemes, Tyrod is known for holding the ball way too long. The Oline is blocking best they can in those 5-6 seconds.

Its when McCoy is hitting contact 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage when I question wtf the plan was.

Except the rush is on him a huge majority of the time in three seconds or less.

Yes, he holds it too long a lot. Yes, he takes off sometimes from a phantom rush. Yes, he should throw it away before being tackled from behind a lot. But he avoids about 2-6 sacks or throwaway incompletions a game because the line stinks and he's the most elusive QB in the game.

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yes, he holds it too long a lot. Yes, he takes off sometimes from a phantom rush. Yes, he should throw it away before being tackled from behind a lot. But he avoids about 2-6 sacks or throwaway incompletions a game because the line stinks and he's the most elusive QB in the game.

Good post and true. A bunch of the sacks Tyrod takes are sometimes induced. We need help on the right side of the line still.

43 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

A lot.  Considering how many times Shady gets tackled in the backfield or at the LoS, TT masks a significant weakness in this OL

• Like (+1) 2

He avoids some sure sacks with quite spectacular elusiveness, and creates some by holding the ball too long, but mostly by never seemingly using audibles at the line. A toss up overall... but I sure wished he'd audible, made more pre-snap reads.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's a good point. And the line is substantially better at run blocking than pass blocking.

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

A lot.  Considering how many times Shady gets tackled in the backfield or at the LoS, TT masks a significant weakness in this OL

Eh, shady has always been at the top of the league for rushes for a loss. It is his style of running that creates those plays. It drove chip kelly crazy. I love watching him, and I think he is amazing but his style of running causes a lot of those tackles for a loss. He tries to hit home runs because he knows he has the ability to break out of those situations sometimes. 

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Would you say Tyrod is almost an anti-Fitz? Fitz would get rid of the ball quickly, but not deal well with an immediate rush. Tyrod gets rid of the ball slowly, but is able to be Russell Wilsonesque when it comes to poor o-line play.

35 minutes ago, Reader said:

Would you say Tyrod is almost an anti-Fitz? Fitz would get rid of the ball quickly, but not deal well with an immediate rush. Tyrod gets rid of the ball slowly, but is able to be Russell Wilsonesque when it comes to poor o-line play.

To me Tyrod's problem is often that he is too elusive, and escapes so often that he thinks he can do it all the time and it's blatantly obvious that he can't. So he gets caught from behind way, way too much thinking he will just run away from these guys. But they often are running full speed when he is just accelerating and they catch him. He needs to have better judgment on when he can and when he can't get away.

3 hours ago, Punt75 said:

Frankly, there aren't many OL in the NFL that can support a classic "rifle arm statue" pocket passer.

But a QB and an offense designed to get the ball out quickly, or a QB who can sense pressure and slide around in the pocket to evade it and extend plays as Brees, Rodgers, and Ryan can, would probably make our OL look better.

Remember how switching from Trentative Edwards to Ryan Fitzpatrick magically made our OL improve?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan