ESPN 2018 NFL Draft QB Primer: Kiper & McShay Breakdown & Analysis

BigDingus

On 1/5/2018 at 10:01 AM, Yav said:

Cousins. Perfect fit and if you look at his numbers and who his WR are in Washington you'll realize he did a lot with nothing. He lost his top 2 guys and still had a great year. 

You put Cousins on the Bills with Shady, Clay and Benj. and you'll have a damn good offense. 

Keep them draft picks and fill the D-line, O-line and LB's and get Shady a real deal backup and you're talking a true contender.

Cousins with those guys, and high drafts for DL, and we would be a team to be reckoned with.   Pats would be loosing sleep.  Go Bills!!!

On January 5, 2018 at 9:09 AM, Bangarang said:

I really don’t want to be the team that takes Allen. That looks like a huge mistake waiting to happen 

I agree with McShay and Kiper that Allen will be the third QB to come off the board, probably a top 10 pick. Rosen is the clear # 1 although there may be some drama to come regarding his maybe not wanting to play for the Browns. 

I would probably grade Darnold ahead of Allen but not by much if at all TBH. They are both somewhat raw but with very high ceilings.

Darnold has a windup delivery where the ball dips as low as hip level. They tried over the summer to change his release but apparently were not able to do so. Hard to break bad habits that a player falls into naturally. Some observers are very worried about this. Others say they can probably live with it. He often does not set up properly even when he has time. He trusts his arm too much and will throw into coverage. The picks are the result. 

Allen actually has much better throwing mechanics. No wasted motion, generally straight over the top. Good weight transfer, steps into his throws properly. Like Stafford he has so much arm strength that he can throw with zip sidearm or any which way that a situation requires. Like Darnold and most other strong armed youngsters he too trusts in his armstrength too much for his own good at times. Darnold is athletic but Allen is bigger, stronger and even more athletic. He routinely breaks not only arm tackles but straight up "put you on the ground" type tackles. He is also not just football fast-he is flat out fast. From what (little) I've seen the claim that he is inaccurate is not quite correct. His accuracy is inconsistent, sometimes spot on, sometimes not. I never thought EJ was an accurate passer at any level, FSU or NFL. Allen looks to me like someone who can improve in that department and in ball placement. Some people who have seen all of his games say that it would be a mistake to look at his lousy stat sheet and conclude that he is truly a sub 60% completion passer. His 2017 supporting cast was not great, the team having lost four starters to the NFL. His armstrength is not good. It's not great. It's insane. Deep out to the opposite hash? Ball gets there in a nanosecond. It's ridiculous.

From all accounts Allen's intangibles are very good. A clean, competitive kid with the will and the work ethic to be great. That's why I view with suspicion the conclusion that he could be another Jamarcus Russell. 

Frankly if he were available with our first pick I would be all over this guy and he looks to me like the type of QB that Beane likes. There were lots of questions concerning Cam's accuracy and ball placement when he came out. We won't be drafting him IMO because he's going top 10-15. During the pre-draft evaluations you know he's going to stand out. No doubt some teams will fall in love with him, and with justification IMO.

Looking at the draft order its hard to see anyone worth their salt falling out of the top ten.  Cle, NYG, Indy, Cle again, , Denver, Jets.  I can see the top 3-4 QBs being drafted in those top 6 picks. 

I just watched some of Rudplphs videos and he has an NFL arm and ball placement.  I could see him in those top 6 picks come draft day.

Mayfield does not have the NFL arm.  His ball placement isn't good and his size isnt helping him.  

Lamar Jackson has an amazing arm too, but like Tyrod, cannot anticipate a WR coming open.  Mentally he lags behind.  I'd take a 3rd/4th on him, see if he can learn, and if not, he makes a great WR imo.

I think if the Bills want one of the top guys, then a trade with  Indy or  Cle#2 is the play.  I would be totally fine with trading our 1, our extra 1, our 2, and our extra 2 to move up. I see those extra picks as bonuses we got from great moves last year, while still getting great players (EJ gaines and Tre White)  We accumulated those picks with the intention of doing exactly this....trading up into the top 5 to get our guy.  Think of them as a sunk cost.  Using our 2nd is nothing to lose.

Edited by peterpan

I would do what it takes to get Andrew Luck. Yes I know he's been injured, but given his motivation and modern medicine he will be back and at an age that is not prohibitive. He was regarded as the best prospect in 30 years(Elway), and in his time has single-handedly carried a crummy team to playoff wins. I think he has a better chance at success than the guys in the Bills range. Plus the Colts have a guy in Brissett who looks to be pretty good, hell trade Tyrod to them. I think McBean would put the kind of team around Luck he deserves, and it would be a win-win.

On 1/5/2018 at 12:21 PM, The_Dude said:

I think we're now in the 'Alex Smith and Mason Rudolph' world. 

I'd really get to know Mason Rudolph if you don't know who he is. He's got "process" written all over him. 

I agree about Rudolph.  He looks like a guy loaded with talent and determination and would be a perfect fit in Sean’s system.

On 1/5/2018 at 5:38 AM, njbuff said:

I could see the Bills gambling on Teddy Bridgewater and hope they hit a home run there. When heathy Bridgewater is a much better fit for the Bills offense.

And to cover their tracks, the Bills would probably take one of the QB's they like in the second or third round.

If Bridgewater is healthy in 2018, it could be a major coupe for Buffalo.

Minnesota is NOT letting Bridgewater go anywhere , 

On 1/5/2018 at 12:21 PM, The_Dude said:

I think we're now in the 'Alex Smith and Mason Rudolph' world. 

I'd really get to know Mason Rudolph if you don't know who he is. He's got "process" written all over him. 

I feel the same way, maybe Bridgewater gets a look too.  

I’d be happier with Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield though.   

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

I’ll splash the pot when ever da f@€k I please 

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

I would feel better with those three too. But I don’t know if Beanes the guy to do that deal. We’re talking both 2018 firsts, both seconds, and next years first to make that climb up the board. 

If we beat Jax, I think there is a good chance we roll with TT next year. If not, assuming Darold & Rosen are not in play, I think I'd try to get Allen or Rudolph choosing the one with the better football brain. There is more risk with Allen but also possibility for more reward, while Rudolph seems to be the more consistent, safer pick, but with a lower ceiling. 

1 hour ago, Andy1 said:

If we beat Jax, I think there is a good chance we roll with TT next year. If not, assuming Darold & Rosen are not in play, I think I'd try to get Allen or Rudolph choosing the one with the better football brain. There is more risk with Allen but also possibility for more reward, while Rudolph seems to be the more consistent, safer pick, but with a lower ceiling. 

Hell, I don't want to be conflicted about the Bills beating Jax.

On 1/5/2018 at 10:25 AM, BuffaloBill said:

No way does Cousins come to Buffalo and at the price tag for landing him I would not want him.  Do you really want that much cap space eaten up by a guy who has not really proven himself as an elite QB?

Cousins is a lot better than some people on here think, however - watching the game today, I think Taylor is looking really good, he's sailed a few balls but that might be due to the wind. Either way the Bills at some point are going to need to pay a QB.