Rapaport: Expects Whaley to interview for GM job in GB

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

I'm glad to hear it. I have gotten very tired of all the Whaley bashing that has gone on here for years. I fully expect him to be successful at his next GM job. 

Agree.  He got bashed by people not understanding his role and that he had no control over some items they bashed him on.  The team should give him a good spokesman and bring in a consultant to help with his speaking but the team needs to state when items are beyond his job requirements something the Bills did not do leaving him on the hook for sharks (yes Buffalo has sharks but they travel in snow not water).

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

You know, I think The Donald and McD have a lot in common, they're both great at obliterating previous administration legacies. :D

And others may get upset at seeing ex-Bills players or suits have success elsewhere, but I don't care, once they leave they're dead to me. Now that Ralph's out of the way, it's all clear sailing for me.

Gotta' get outta' "The Hole that Ralph Dug" tho.

His statue haunts it.

New stadium and mall complex in Letchworth Park......no Ralph knick-knacks around.......totally powered by the parks vast, un-tapped natural resources........it's gonna' be great!:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Do people think they're onto something when they mention 'Rooney Rule' every time a black person gets an interview, or is that they have nothing better to offer to the conversation?

They are just standing up for the TSW "Idiot Rule" saying they are examples of affirmative action. Whaley is obviously qualified.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

His three main problems were

A) Didn't have a clear vision and plan of action.

B) Didn't know how to properly value talent

C) Was unable to sell himself enough to ownership to have more control

His MAIN problem is STILL a problem for the Bills - Jim Overdorf.  Whaley did not approve clause wanted by Dareus's agent, Overdorf did. He signed the contracts.

38 minutes ago, Rico said:

doug-whaley.jpg

"Aaron Rodgers is OK, but he's getting old. Let me tell you about EJ! "

Whaley "Rico I'd like to listen to you about quarterbacks as much as I'd like to consider trading our starting DE for John Skelton".  I hope you get a job in a front office - on a team in my division."

1 hour ago, Magox said:

That’s what the media and propaganda wanted you to think.

I disagree with those.

2 hours ago, Big C said:

Whaley is an excellent scout but his roster building skills were suspect. I think he deserves another chance somewhere, maybe a slightly lesser position and then work his way back to GM. With all the instability at HC and the ownership change in his tenure I do think it's fair to say he wasn't to blame for everything that went wrong. 

If he hit at qb, and/or had a competent coach... his “other 52” were among the best in the league some years.

• Like (+1) 1

Whaley's two problems in Buffalo were roster building /managing the salary cap (spending too much at certain positions and not enough at others) and finding a QB.  If he gets the GM job in Green Bay one of those problems is already solved for him.

He did a great job finding talent in FA in Buffalo, and other than not valuing draft picks correctly (giving up too much to move up for Sammy which was really inexcusable with no QB) I thought he was decent at drafting too.  I know not a lot of players he drafted are still playing in Buffalo,  but I count 8 players drafted by Whaley from 2013-2016 that are playing at a high level for other teams right now, and five that are playing well for the Bills if you include Shady (Kiko).  13 starters from 4 drafts is pretty good.  Even though I think Whaley deserves all the criticism he gets for sticking with EJ too long and spending too much to get Sammy, I think Whaley gets unfairly trashed when it comes to evaluating talent via the draft, which MOST of the time he did pretty well.  

I actually think he'd do very well as a GM in Green Bay.  That seems like a perfect fit.  

Cleveland where he needs to find a QB and figure out how best to spend Cleveland's multiple draft picks and $107mil in free cap space (build a roster from scratch) I'm not so sure would be a good fit for Whaley's skill set.

Edited by Adam727

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Gotta' get outta' "The Hole that Ralph Dug" tho.

His statue haunts it.

New stadium and mall complex in Letchworth Park......no Ralph knick-knacks around.......totally powered by the parks vast, un-tapped natural resources........it's gonna' be great!:thumbsup:

Wow, Letchworth. Never been there, but it looks really nice.

I've always said there is room for that statue though, right next to the urinals.

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If he hit at qb, and/or had a competent coach... his “other 52” were among the best in the league some years.

That 2015 roster was a top 10 roster. Exclude QB for a second and the other 51 were a top 5 or 6 roster. 

12 minutes ago, Manther said:

That’s what the media and propaganda wanted you to think.

I disagree with those.

The media and propaganda wanted me to think that?  That's some powerful stuff there 

Edited by Magox

1 hour ago, Magox said:

I have a different list of 3 main problems:
1) Changing coaches (and systems) every 2 years during his tenure

2) Unclear lines of authority and responsibility for contract negotiation - Overdorf and etc reported into Russ Brandon through Lamattina, unclear who was responsible for coaching search/hiring

3) Very limited ability to predict press reaction and handle himself with the press

I don't think you can tell if he had a clear vision about how to build a franchise or not.  The man brings in good players, keeps some players by signing them to big contracts.  Next minute, the coach is gone and the players signed aren't as valuable (or happy) in their new roles, coach needs players with different skill sets to "make it work"

I think it's worth bearing in mind that a lot of the players Whaley drafted are still playing in the league, many on playoff teams.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have a different list of 3 main problems:
1) Changing coaches (and systems) every 2 years during his tenure

2) Unclear lines of authority and responsibility for contract negotiation - Overdorf and etc reported into Russ Brandon through Lamattina, unclear who was responsible for coaching search/hiring

3) Very limited ability to predict press reaction and handle himself with the press

I don't think you can tell if he had a clear vision about how to build a franchise or not.  The man brings in good players, keeps some players by signing them to big contracts.  Next minute, the coach is gone and the players signed aren't as valuable (or happy) in their new roles, coach needs players with different skill sets to "make it work"

I think it's worth bearing in mind that a lot of the players Whaley drafted are still playing in the league, many on playoff teams.

Agreed!

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I never cared that he wasn't great with the media in and of itself but it was what that might be symptomatic of. I am a leader in my profession I have to communicate with confidence to my team, by stakeholders and my bosses. When you see a guy fluff his lines with media it begs the question - is he able to communicate clearly with his scouts, players, coaches and ownership? Maybe if he was a better communicator he'd have persuades the Pegulas not to hire Rex. 

But you can't know the future. You pay on talent. His talent is unquestionable in my eyes. I'd have done that contract every single time. You can make the point about whether there should have been more behavioural clauses that is fair... but is his talent worth the money? For me it is no question.

Whaley's worst contract here was not Dareus. Not by a long way. It was Charles Clay who was never talented enough to get at the time a top 3 TE contract. 

Sometimes you have to pay top 10 guys top 5 money to get them in FA.  I've gone back and forth on this and that's what I believe.

The lack of professionalism clauses in Dareus' contract was EGREGIOUS.

Just now, jmc12290 said:

Sometimes you have to pay top 10 guys top 5 money to get them in FA.  I've gone back and forth on this and that's what I believe.

The lack of professionalism clauses in Dareus' contract was EGREGIOUS.

Charles Clay was barely a top 10 guy and he had a known degenerative knee condition. It was a worse contract than Dareus hands down. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Charles Clay was barely a top 10 guy and he had a known degenerative knee condition. It was a worse contract than Dareus hands down. 

A degenerative knee condition, yes.  And the best TE to hit UFA since at least 2011.

It's a position with an absolute dearth at talent in today's NFL.  Hell, Charles Clay wasn't the worst TE contract signed that YEAR.

LOL the revisionist history to Bills fans.  Like I previously stated, Doug Whaley is the most polarizing figure during the drought era.  Fans love him to the point that they are now giving him credit for this year's playoff spot...LOL

Please, Doug's strength is pro player personnel.  His drafting has been uninspiring and below average and he had shown that he has no clue how to build a team.

As for the GB job, people are acting like he's a front runner.  It's already been reported that there are 2-3 internal candidates including Elliot Wolfe, son of former GM Ron Wolfe.  

There's no way Whaley's getting that job - but you can go on pretending like he was a good GM