Going for broke playoff game plan

Ga boy

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

While I totally get what you are saying, keep in mind that Taylors top receivers are his RB's and TE, both guys who wont see much of those great CB's of the Jags.  So I am actually not that concerned about the Corners because I think Taylors game can help him stay away from them and we already know TT is careful with the ball.  Plus, KB is a big WR, so thats the ideal counter to a talented cover DB who can use his size to gain position too.  

Of course my point was never "don't pass at all".  It was a response to the idea we should suddenly go pass happy. I think Clay and O'Leary both need to have big game for us.  I could see them combining for 10-12 catches and our receivers combining for 2-3 catches.  But for me 20-25 pass attempts, run the ball, don't be afraid to punt it, don't turn it over, be fundamentally sound.  It's all the boring stuff.... but that is how we win this game. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, zow2 said:

Here's the thing about the playoffs.  trends don't mean all that much.  The Bills run D only needs to show up and be stout for one game.  can it happen? Yes.  Tyrod and the passing game only needs to be on point this week...that's all that matters.  So screw the trends.  The Bills know what Jax likes to do and the Jags know what the Bills like to do.  

It's an NFL game, so as usual the two most important stats during the game will be turnover ratio (can't turn it over obviously) and which team does better at 3rd down conversions.

We need to run the ball well and with likely tolbert as the lead back, i want to see more traps/powers.  Rely on his ability to move it a bit more north/south, and less on his cutbacks.  He's alright on one cut runs but he's not making a guy miss in the backfield and that seems to be the trend on our zone running scheme.  Get him going with a full head of steam.

This would help put us in manageable third downs.  I've liked how they've gone empty on some of the 3rd and mediums as it helps open up the middle of the field, and prevent blitzes.  

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Equally a Jags team QB'd by the Bortles of the past 2 games rather than the previous 3 and with Fournette averaging under 4 yards a carry are not gonna have too many long scoring drives vs our defense either.  This is going to be a tight, conservative, field position and kicking battle.  Hauschka and Schmidt are going to need to bring their A games, Special Teams will be huge.  I'd be shocked if either team scored more than 20 points. 

I think the Bills have a shot because it may well come down to turnovers. If the Bills can force a couple and protect the ball themselves they will win. 

Doug Marrone is already making diamonds with his sphincter as he contemplates anything but the most conservative game plan. 

Im expecting the Hackett special, RUN, RUN , pass all game. Looking to Fournette in the fourth quarter to break some longer runs against a worn out D.

I say we get 3 TE's out there, Logan Thomas Clay and O'Leary, with Murphy as rb and Benjamin as WR. It plays to our strengths a little more and negates their cbs some with a clear size advantage. We could create a lot of mismatches with size, could provide better pass protection and have the guys to run it down their throats too.

10 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I say we get 3 TE's out there, Logan Thomas Clay and O'Leary, with Murphy as rb and Benjamin as WR. It plays to our strengths a little more and negates their cbs some with a clear size advantage. We could create a lot of mismatches with size, could provide better pass protection and have the guys to run it down their throats too.

There is literally no one in that formation that will stretch the field. Their secondary is too good and opportunistic. Keeping everything in front of them is what they do best and that game plan would just play into their strength. It doesn't even give Tyrod a chance to run if everyone was covered deep.

7 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

There is literally no one in that formation that will stretch the field. Their secondary is too good and opportunistic. Keeping everything in front of them is what they do best and that game plan would just play into their strength. It doesn't even give Tyrod a chance to run if everyone was covered deep.

We arent going to stretch the field with anyone on our team really, Thompson is the best at it I suppose but hes not really anything special. We could get taylor on the move with some roll outs with a fake stretch one way and have Clay come across teh field with Benjamin coming down field, and have murphy as an outlet as well.

I am not saying this should be our base offense but it would add a wrinkle that they havent seen and we can be effective out of this formation while also being able to run and pass

I'd love to see some of the plays used in the first couple of drives actually used in the 2nd half.

Have you noticed that during the first drive of the game, Dennison likes to do all sorts of misdirections and roll-outs? And then when we have a lead, he runs it up the gut and does 3 yards and a cloud of dust like it's 1966.  

Tyrod should now be used as a primary weapon - roll outs and designed runs. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Of course my point was never "don't pass at all".  It was a response to the idea we should suddenly go pass happy. I think Clay and O'Leary both need to have big game for us.  I could see them combining for 10-12 catches and our receivers combining for 2-3 catches.  But for me 20-25 pass attempts, run the ball, don't be afraid to punt it, don't turn it over, be fundamentally sound.  It's all the boring stuff.... but that is how we win this game. 

I agree with all of this, my thoughts exactly.  I see a 19-13 Bills win following this plan, and its what we should do.  Our Secondary feasts on miscues by QB's like Bortles, so don't get crazy, move the ball, take FG's and play sound.  Let Bortles have to press the action because his sloppy mechanics likely contribute to a +2 or more turnover margin for us and sound win.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You know those DirecTv commercials where the people like running into glass doors, getting their seat kicked on the airplane, etc? That’s pretty much Bills fans that like Peterman. “Some people like 5 INTs in a half from their QB, for everyone else there is DirecTV.”

There probably is a correlation between table jumping and them too.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/3/2018 at 8:54 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Not really sure what that means but I’d prefer a throw away to an INT. I prefer to complete 62.6% of your passes to 49%. I prefer my QB to throw an INT 1 out of every 105 passes instead of 1 out of every 9.8 passes. To each his own I guess. 

You know those DirecTv commercials where the people like running into glass doors, getting their seat kicked on the airplane, etc? That’s pretty much Bills fans that like Peterman. “Some people like 5 INTs in a half from their QB, for everyone else there is DirecTV.”

17-37 for 134. 0 TDs 1 Pick, 27 yards rushing.

Yeah!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!

They did get TT on the move, roll outs, boot legs, etc, but the receivers were stepping out of bounds, dropping balls, not coming back, etc.  TT made some good passes, but he was overthrowing, throwing behind, etc.  He was the same as the past 3 years.  Other than not running from the 1, the game plan was a winning one.  All we needed was 11 points to win.  

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s cool to wait 4 days to quote a post. Ha ha, that’s typical loser mentality.

Played a playoff game and lost but the future is looking up. 

Supporting a piece of garbage QB and talking yourself into calling him “ average” is winning.

It’s like Trump’s Murica..... I can’t take anymore of all this winning?

Just now, Buffalo Boy said:

Supporting a piece of garbage QB and talking yourself into calling him “ average” is winning.

It’s like Trump’s Murica..... I can’t take anymore of all this winning?

Ha ha, a Bills fan taking joy in a loss!! We’d be better off without you. I know that you are pissed that they played a playoff game with a QB that’s 23-21. Just go away. You are a terrible fan

On 02/01/2018 at 9:07 PM, Ga boy said:

It may be time to go for broke with a game plan.  If not this week, then certainly against the Pats.  If Shady can't go, then we should go for broke against Jags.  Show'em something they haven't seen on film.  Be creative and describe some innovative, winning plays.  My initial contribution is to put Kyle and Milano in to be blocking fullbacks to protect TT so that he can roll out and hit swing passes to slanting wide receivers or keep it and run to the edges.  Ditch the pocket passer experiment, and let Tyrod be Tyrod.  Share your creative plays.

Tyrod loose.png

Sadly, what we saw today was "going for broke" with this team.

Yeah, just let that all sink in, bro.

Tyrod cannot quickly and decisively find a man, decide to throw to him, and throw to him, to save his own life.

Dan Marino used to do all that about 10,000 times per game, all in about .3 second.

Edited by Fadingpain

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, a Bills fan taking joy in a loss!! We’d be better off without you. I know that you are pissed that they played a playoff game with a QB that’s 23-21. Just go away. You are a terrible fan

Where is the joy?

I am happy to think TT is done with us, though.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Where is the joy?

I am happy to think TT is done with us, though.

You were so happy today. You are terrible!! I can’t wait until we can get rid of the terrible fans. The majority want the Bills to win. A few idiots want to be miserable. I am choosing to be happy about this season. That’s not playoff talent and they played a playoff game. Things are looking up in my world. I have no time for the miserable folk.