Will the Bills regret trading Dareus to Jacksonville

Foreigner

Will the Bills regret trading Marcel Dareus to a AFC playoff contender. Apparently not, otherwise he would have gone

to a NFC team. We did get a 5th round draft choice. Maybe we can find another 5th rounder like Peterman.

Anyway, we beat Jacksonville last year. Is Doug Marrone that much of a genius that we can't beat the Jags this year?

2 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

Will the Bills regret trading Marcel Dareus to a AFC playoff contender. Apparently not, otherwise he would have gone

to a NFC team. We did get a 5th round draft choice. Maybe we can find another 5th rounder like Peterman.

Anyway, we beat Jacksonville last year. Is Doug Marrone that much of a genius that we can't beat the Jags this year?

Maybe we can find another Matt Milano

in the short term yes but in the long term its probably the best move for both the Bills but also Dareus...this team is not likely to go to the Superbowl with Dareus so the answer will lie in what the team does with the saved cap money in terms of free agents..another haul like Poyer and Hyde then Dareus will be a distant and forgotten memory..of course if they land another Kyle Williams with that fifth round pick then its a super move..not likely to happen but you never know

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaninATL said:

It's a 5th now. The conditions were met to move it up: Dareus still on the roster at the end of the season and the Jags in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

It's a 5th now. The conditions were met to move it up: Dareus still on the roster at the end of the season and the Jags in the playoffs. 

thanks for the clarification, my bad .....

13 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

Nothing is going to change how dumb it was to trade Dareus when we did.  I dont have an issue with trading Dareus, I have an issue of trading him when his value was pitiful and at its lowest.  He had just gotten healthy and was coming off his best game and we were in the playoffs at that point.  We SHOULD have held on to him and gotten value out of him this year and then made a decision on his future by how he played rest of year and how well he fell in line.  His value WOULD have been higher once he played the rest of the season now that he was healthy.  And even if it wasn't, at least he could have contributed to this years playoff run before dumping him for almost nothing.

Instead we get rid of him for a 5th round pick that likely won't do much to help replace the huge hole we have now at DT and also coincidentally our run D became pathetic and Jax went from pathetic to pretty good after the trade.  

Hated the trade then...hate it now.  Again, its not the fact we traded him that I hate, its the timing and poor value...and it VERY well might bite us big time this weekend given they have Fournette and now we have a gimpy McCoy to face their much improved run defense.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The problem is everyone looks at the move as how it impacts the team right now, the trade was made with what it will help the team look like beyond this year.  And seeing how things have gone since the trade I think its well underway to proving it a right decision.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

YAY? 

It may serve as a wake up call for Dareus. If he turns it around there it doesn’t mean he necessarily would have gotten his act together for the Bills. We might have gotten more of the same...

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Nothing is going to change how dumb it was to trade Dareus when we did.  I dont have an issue with trading Dareus, I have an issue of trading him when his value was pitiful and at its lowest.  He had just gotten healthy and was coming off his best game and we were in the playoffs at that point.  We SHOULD have held on to him and gotten value out of him this year and then made a decision on his future by how he played rest of year and how well he fell in line.  His value WOULD have been higher once he played the rest of the season now that he was healthy.  And even if it wasn't, at least he could have contributed to this years playoff run before dumping him for almost nothing.

Instead we get rid of him for a 5th round pick that likely won't do much to help replace the huge hole we have now at DT and also coincidentally our run D became pathetic and Jax went from pathetic to pretty good after the trade.  

Hated the trade then...hate it now.  Again, its not the fact we traded him that I hate, its the timing and poor value...and it VERY well might bite us big time this weekend given they have Fournette and now we have a gimpy McCoy to face their much improved run defense.

With his contract and one step away from a 10 game suspension his value would always be poor.  What fans value is not what coaches/gms value.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They desperately wanted to get rid of him.  And the conditional 5th was all/the best they could get.  Like I said above, I thought it was a bad move at the time.  Since they still made the playoffs, it was a good move.  Maybe it hurts them this weekend, maybe it doesn't.  That remains to be seen.  But they removed a talented, albeit lazy, player from the team, cleared cap room in 2019, and got an extra pick.