Props to McDermott haters!

1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

Stop it. You're a hater.

Get over here. I just carved some breast meat. Enjoy.

hater. get in line. get some bird.

Back for seconds?

You call yourself Peter?!?

You're Judas!

I am not a hater of McCoach.  I am just not a lover.

As someone whose family has had season tickets since the Bills' inception and who has put his money where his mouth is and continued those season tickets through these non playoff years even though I live down here in Miami, I am hardly a Judas.  

Nice try though.  I would say something much stronger to you, but you know not what you do.

Edited by Peter

11 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Tip to the haters.

Uncooked fowl will only enhance your scowl. 

Except I'm not a hater. I think he does a ton of stuff good. I'm glad he's our coach now. I'm willing to give him a chance. But nothing is black or white. That doesn't mean all his decisions are good. In fact, it could be his downfall. There are coaches who are great at preparation but in game they are not great at making on the spot decisions. His time management has been horrible lately. His in game decisions to either go for it or kick it away have been horrible. Like, really bad. And again I like him. He's also never ever been a HC at any level so this is all new to him and I'm willing to give him a learning curve. But he's made a lot of great decisions and a lot of really bad ones. The jury is still out. It's not like you have to like everything he does or nothing he does. 

McDermott hadn't stopped the playoffs from coming!  They came!
Somehow or other, they came just the same!

And the fans stood puzzling. "How could it be so?"
He punted on 4th down, got lucky in the snow,
He started a rookie at quarterback, don't you know??

It came without Watkins! It came without Gilmore!
It came without Dareus, Darby, or Woods!"

Then the fans thought of something they hadn't before
Maybe coaches, they thought, don't just make a mess.
Maybe coaches, perhaps, really do trust the process!

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Your decision has nothing to do with what happens later. It is only based on percentages. 

What are the historical winning percentages when you're up 20 versus 19?  I'd be curious to find out.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

What are the historical winning percentages when you're up 20 versus 19?  I'd be curious to find out.

Who knows. But any football fan I imagine would think it's easier to score two TDs and a FG than three TDs with 20 minutes left. Granted you have to get two two pointers but still. Chances are it takes most of the time to get two TDS. Three is FAR harder. 

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Who knows. But any football fan I imagine would think it's easier to score two TDs and a FG than three TDs with 20 minutes left. Granted you have to get two two pointers but still. Chances are it takes most of the time to get two TDS. Three is FAR harder. 

The odds of converting a 2-pointer are slightly under 50% (and some articles have suggested that teams should go for 2 all the time).  Meaning if you are down by 19 and score a 2 TD's and go for a 2PC after each one, figuring you'll get within 3, odds are you're likely to miss one and still need a TD to win it. 

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

The odds of converting a 2-pointer are slightly under 50% (and some articles have suggested that teams should go for 2 all the time).  Meaning if you are down by 19 and score a 2 TD's and go for a 2PC after each one, figuring you'll get within 3, odds are you're likely to miss one and still need a TD to win it. 

The point is why risk that. It would be different if making the two point conversion put you up by more than three scores. It didn't. If you make it, at 50% as you say, they need three TDs to tie. It's not an automatic win. If you just kick the point, they need three TDs. If you do what we did they only need two TDs and a FG. To me that's an easy choice. The upside isn't worth it. Three TDs is extremely hard with a little more than a quarter left. And look what happened. They could have WON with a fluke play. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The point is why risk that. It would be different if making the two point conversion put you up by more than three scores. It didn't. If you make it, at 50% as you say, they need three TDs to tie. It's not an automatic win. If you just kick the point, they need three TDs. If you do what we did they only need two TDs and a FG. To me that's an easy choice. The upside isn't worth it. Three TDs is extremely hard with a little more than a quarter left. And look what happened. They could have WON with a fluke play. 

You can't talk about percentages at the time of the play and then say "look what (almost) happened" Kelly.  Again if the Bills had gone for 1 and it was 20-0 (and then 23-3), Miami would have simply kicked the EP after each of their 2 ensuing TDs to make it 23-17 and then still could have won with a TD and an EP on that final drive.  

Pretty amazing that there are some people posting bad stuff about McDermott, considering he has done something no coach has done for the Bills in almost 2 decades, and in his first year no less.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Pretty amazing that there are some people posting bad stuff about McDermott, considering he has done something no coach has done for the Bills in almost 2 decades, and in his first year no less.

What's most impressive is that it happened with so much roster turnover, including trading Dareus mid-season, and the WR situation for much of the year.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

What's most impressive is that it happened with so much roster turnover, including trading Dareus mid-season, and the WR situation for much of the year.

Exactly. McDermott and Beane traded big, but questionable talent for good draft picks, increased our cap space, brought in excellent FA and Rookie talent, rebuilt the secondary, and got the team into the playoffs for the first time this century.

Absolutely awesome. Can't wait for the draft and off-season to see what these guys do next to build this team. And, of course, to watch the playoff games.

I said before the preseason that 8-8 would be a tremendous success given the roster turnover, new coaches and schemes, etc. Well, going 9-7 and making the playoffs is even more tremendous, obviously.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

You can't talk about percentages at the time of the play and then say "look what (almost) happened" Kelly.  Again if the Bills had gone for 1 and it was 20-0 (and then 23-3), Miami would have simply kicked the EP after each of their 2 ensuing TDs to make it 23-17 and then still could have won with a TD and an EP on that final drive.  

That's exactly my point though. If you kick the Xtra point and go up 20-0 they probably don't even try the FG to make it 19-3 and within two scores. They have to go for the TD. I think you're underestimating the difference between the possibility of two TDs and a FG versus three TDs regardless of the difficulty of the two point try. Three TDs is a whole different mindset. 

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's exactly my point though. If you kick the Xtra point and go up 20-0 they probably don't even try the FG to make it 19-3 and within two scores. They have to go for the TD. I think you're underestimating the difference between the possibility of two TDs and a FG versus three TDs regardless of the difficulty of the two point try. Three TDs is a whole different mindset. 

Look, I can't say what the Dols would have done down 20-0.  Maybe they go for it on 4th and 12 with over 2 minutes to go in the 3rd, maybe they don't.  I think they still would have taken the points, thinking they had time for another FG and 2-TD's with just EPs.  The thing is, that's all speculation, and going for it on that 4th down changes the entire flow of the game.  As it stood, they still needed to score 3 TD's to win and couldn't do it, because the Bills didn't stand pat at 19 points and because the Dols also tried, and failed, on a 2PC.  Now if you can find a stat that says that historical winning percentage is significantly higher leading by 20 points versus 19, I agree that it was a stupid move.  Otherwise I think it's a nitpicky point.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Look, I can't say what the Dols would have done down 20-0.  Maybe they go for it on 4th and 12 with over 2 minutes to go in the 3rd, maybe they don't.  I think they still would have taken the points, thinking they had time for another FG and 2-TD's with just EPs.  The thing is, that's all speculation, and going for it on that 4th down changes the entire flow of the game.  As it stood, they still needed to score 3 TD's to win and couldn't do it, because the Bills didn't stand pat at 19 points and because the Dols also tried, and failed, on a 2PC.  Now if you can find a stat that says that historical winning percentage is significantly higher leading by 20 points versus 19, I agree that it was a stupid move.  Otherwise I think it's a nitpicky point.

What's funny is when it happened I turned to the guy I watch the games with, who knows way more than me, and I said this isn't bad, right? And he immediately went through a litany of reasons and scenarios of why it was wrong. And convinced me easily. Ha. 

And now, if I were the Bills, and roles reversed, and was asked would you rather have the team go for two at that point or kick the extra point and go up 20, I would definitely think I would rather have them go for two. If they kick the pat or make the two points I need three TDs. If they go for two and miss it could be two TDs and a FG. I would take that every time.