NFL Receivers

WIDE LEFT

This is an observation I have made over many years watching NFL receivers; and yet I have never heard a coach, analyst, broadcaster address this. That is, the habit of NFL receivers upon catching a ball and falling to the ground, to take one hand off the ball and use that hand/arm to break/cushion  their fall. This can and has caused many a receiver to lose control of the ball resulting in an incomplete pass. It happens more often than you think. Go back to Dez Bryant catch/no catch which started the whole controversy about “surviving the ground”. In that play, he took his hand/arm off the ball to break his fall. Fast forward to last week:  Charles Clay catches ball in the end zone, has it wrapped up, but takes his hand off the ball to break his fall, and thereby loses control of the ball and loses a touchdown. First game of this season, first drive, Mike Tolbert did the exact same thing, losing a sure TD pass. Jordan Matthews did the exact same thing on a huge third and three in the Cincinnati game, but his was ruled a fumble. Of course it happens many times where the receiver does break his fall and doesn’t lose the ball. For example, Kelvin Benjamin non touchdown last week, he also uses arm to break his fall, but retained control.

The point is, these receivers take huge hits all the time, and it seems odd that so many times they risk loss of control just to break their fall, which certainly is minor compared to a hit by a DB. It does not seem that this is emphasized in coaching NFL receivers, since it happens so often. It’s equally odd that you never hear a comment on this from any coach, analyst broadcaster or NFL writer. So go take a look at the Charles Clay drop again, then pay attention in the NFL games you watch as to how many times receivers do the exact same thing Clay did. You will be surprised 

"Just to break their fall"? Let's see someone drop you from 4 or 6 feet in the air and see what you do. That turf is not soft. 

I quess the rules are that the ground can't cause a fumble but it can cause an incomplete pass if you don't complete the process of catching the ball, whatever that is

The point is a fall, even from 4-6 feet, is nowhere near as punishing as a routine hit by a DB or LB. So you risk losing a reception, and/or a touchdown? They don’t take a hand/arm off the ball to cushion a hit from the defense.  BTW - they are paid a lot of money to catch and retain the football.

How do you propose that they break their fall?  I would think the natural thing to do would be to use one arm to break their fall.  

I am interested to hear what you think is the proper way to fall after the catch.  Assuming they do not have the opportunity to keep running.

4 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

How do you propose that they break their fall?  I would think the natural thing to do would be to use one arm to break their fall.  

I am interested to hear what you think is the proper way to fall after the catch.  Assuming they do not have the opportunity to keep running.

Seems clear his point is hitting the ground unobstructed is still far less impactful than hits on any given play so why break the fall at all

sometimes fair. It can be akin to alligator arms on a contested catch on some plays.

Edited by NoSaint

8 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

The point is a fall, even from 4-6 feet, is nowhere near as punishing as a routine hit by a DB or LB. So you risk losing a reception, and/or a touchdown? They don’t take a hand/arm off the ball to cushion a hit from the defense.  BTW - they are paid a lot of money to catch and retain the football.

Please provide proof that a fall to the (immovable) ground is "not near as punishing" as two moveable objects colliding.

You decide - Would you rather run into a tackle dummy OR run into a block wall? 

Regardless of the degree of pain inflicted by a hard hit from a defensive player versus the pain of hitting the turf, using your arm to break a fall is a deeply ingrained instinctive and reflexive response to falling.  If you think about it, you might be able to plan your fall and go into a roll without using your arm, but most of the time it happens so quickly, all you can do is react.

My separated shoulder was from using my arm to break my fall. As I hit the ditch on my ATV and was flying through the air I didn't even think about. It was just a natural reaction. The only thing going through my mind was when is the ATV going to land on top of me.

Well I can attest that the reason they usually try to break their fall is because landing on the ball takes all the air out of you

which usually causes you to lose control of the Ball anyways

its painful falling on a ball from 4-5 feet in the air. It takes all the wind out, instantly 

1 hour ago, cd1 said:

Please provide proof that a fall to the (immovable) ground is "not near as punishing" as two moveable objects colliding.

You decide - Would you rather run into a tackle dummy OR run into a block wall? 

Are u serious? Even if they are equal an NFL receiver can’t avoid the collision with a DB - he doesn’t take his hand off the ball to lessen that contact. And there are many examples of receivers catching the ball, falling to the ground and keeping both hands on the ball and NOT breaking their fall. Not only can it be done, it’s done on regular basis. And if I am paid big bucks to catch a football, I don’t jeopardize that by taking my hand off the ball. You think if Charles Clay had that play over he would still take his hand off to break his fall. Not likely 

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

100% he should have caught it...

but clay is usually our most dependable target so I hope it was a fluke

But don’t worry, we’ll get the TD on the next play...oh...wait.....not in Cheatersville. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is a good observation.   I've always wondered that. 

I can guarantee you this, sticking your arm out to break your fall lessens your chance of holding on to the ball significantly.   We see it all the time, and just saw it with clay who wasn't going to hit the ground very hard at all, especially in the context of a game that's physical and rough to begin with.

Secondly, putting your arm out to "break your fall" doesn't really do much more to soften the blow, and may in fact hurt you worse as an earlier poster described.

It's so lame.   Something Tom Brady would do, or Pete Carroll when he played football in high school.   Even the mascots hit the turf holding on to the ball with both hands.