Holiday bonus

16 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Yeah.

I've worked for some places in the past where they would hand out gift cards for local restaurants and it wasn't much, but it at least showed that they cared for their employees and some places would even have a small christmas party.

This place i'm at now is just downright bad.

The thing is that i don't get, is that it's all tax deductible for these employers, so it's worth it to throw some money around at the end of the fiscal year, but i guess that makes too much sense to want to treat your employees like human beings.

if you don't mind me asking, small business or large?

8 hours ago, sherpa said:

That is the famous coffee from Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter of New Orleans.

The place is legendary for chicory coffee and beignets.

Very good.

It certainly is a good place!

I had my first dose the Sunday the Bills played in New Orleans the last time.

29 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Yeah.

I've worked for some places in the past where they would hand out gift cards for local restaurants and it wasn't much, but it at least showed that they cared for their employees and some places would even have a small christmas party.

This place i'm at now is just downright bad.

The thing is that i don't get, is that it's all tax deductible for these employers, so it's worth it to throw some money around at the end of the fiscal year, but i guess that makes too much sense to want to treat your employees like human beings.

And another thing............my employer just stated that he's making considerable wage cuts in the new year...........considerable, as in it's not even affordable for most of us to work there anymore and i haven't told my employer yet that i'm not planning on going back.

So, i've already discussed with my wife that in the new year, i'm moving on.

I'm going to look for a new job.........and i'm not going to lie that it's tough finding work around this time of year.

I mentioned earlier that my company quit handing out bonuses (that I am aware of) but they do have a truly kick ass party after new year, every year. Big fancy venue.  Lots and lots of great door prizes! A dozen or more airline tickets to anywhere, huge TVs, and much more.

In our industry (electronics manufacturing), bonuses typically go to the operations crew after a good year. Sales is exempt since we have our commissions. 

This year, we had record breaking growth, and everyone got one! 

Bonus is in the mail, boss says its decent, so cautiously optimistic I may be able to get a new toy, or two! 

As a college student, I worked at a McDonalds (locally-owned, independent franchise, not McD corporate). Each crew person got a box of candy for Christmas. When I worked my up to shift manager, I got a $50 Christmas bonus. (That was in 1982.)

In my 30 years as a professional, I've never received a Christmas bonus.

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

As a college student, I worked at a McDonalds (locally-owned, independent franchise, not McD corporate). Each crew person got a box of candy for Christmas. When I worked my up to shift manager, I got a $50 Christmas bonus. (That was in 1982.)

In my 30 years as a professional, I've never received a Christmas bonus.

That's a sad indictment.

41 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

if you don't mind me asking, small business or large?

I work for one of the largest nuclear contractors in the world...........without getting into specifics, they work on a massive global scale.

Just now, Sweats said:

I work for one of the largest nuclear contractors in the world...........without getting into specifics, they work on a massive global scale.

That's likely the reason.

I work for a TINY company right now, three employees and five contractors. I've been treated better at this job than in the rest of my career (all with huge corporations).

24 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

In our industry (electronics manufacturing), bonuses typically go to the operations crew after a good year. Sales is exempt since we have our commissions. 

This year, we had record breaking growth, and everyone got one! 

Bonus is in the mail, boss says its decent, so cautiously optimistic I may be able to get a new toy, or two! 

The sales guy who exclusively sells the product my team "feeds," bought my team pizza and wings for lunch to say thanks last week.  Nice gesture.

We also throw a holiday party each year, which is held offsite.  This year, it's only for employees (no spouses/guests allowed) and people are not happy.

But it's going to be a nice party at a very nice venue.  Great food and (3) free drink tickets for each employee.  DJ, photo booth and free raffles (raffling off gift cards).  I think that's a nice deal.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

That's likely the reason.

I work for a TINY company right now, three employees and five contractors. I've been treated better at this job than in the rest of my career (all with huge corporations).

Yeah, i think you're right.

It seems that in the bigger companies, the employees are looked at as just a number and just a body to fill a role, instead of in a smaller company where people feel needed and appreciated.

Two comments:

1)  You may not be aware but if you work in PR there is a law requiring you get a bonus.  There are stipulations to this with the employment sector, full or part time, and how long you have worked for the company.  Despite this, most full time employees get between $200-$600 every year.

2)  I have worked for my current employer for about 11 years.  In the beginning the company was small ~30 employees and the bonuses were good.  But they have steadily declined to the current status.  See my rough estimate below:

2007- $500 or bring spouse to meeting in Mexico

2008- $500 giftcard

2009- $500 or bring spouse to meeting in Mexico

2010- $250 Giftcard

2011- $75 Honey Baked Ham Giftcard

2012- $100 in a Send Out Card Subscription (basically a service to send out cards for free)

2013- $50 Gift Card

2014- $25 Applebees GiftCard

2015- Present-  Just an email thank you.

11 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Still waiting on mine, but I put a down payment on an inground swimming pool so I hope I get it soon.

Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** he is! Hallelujah! Holy ****! Where's the Tylenol?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gordio said:

Agreed.  I get my bonus first week of February.  It is usually between 10 & 20% of my salary.  They tax the sh*t out of it. 

As far as Christmas Bonus, never got one.  My boss does take the boys out for a work happy hour every year & takes care of the tab.  This year we went to jack Astors & between the five guys & one lady on our team who doesn't drink we ran up a $480 bill on him. 

$480??  Lightweights.