Holiday bonus

4 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Well, i got my phone call this evening of the work status and right now it looks like 50/50 if we're still working or not.

Apparently, the new manager wants to go over the books, the budget, the schedule and workforce and see where everyone fits into the new managerial scheme..........i should know by tomorrow evening if i'm safe or not.

Other than that, i've got a few backup plans in the works for just such an emergency.

I'm not as nervous as i was first thing this morning.

Best of luck.  Glad to hear you have some emergency backup plans just in case.  Losing your job, especially if it’s through no fault of your own, really sucks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

It appears she did, but nothing for sure until after it’s all audited. It’s complicated with claw backs and exceptions, etc.  It would have been sooooo painful to miss by such a minuscule amount. 

Glad to hear it. 

Yeah that definitely would have sucked to miss it by that much. 

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Dang!  My (then new) bride and I both lost our jobs on the same day on an April Friday back in 2008.  Both RIF’ed due to state budget cuts.  My wife was 3 months pregnant with my son, and we were in the process of looking to buy a home.  Completely hit us by surprise.  But we were young, relatively unattached to where we were living, and able to easily relocate.

What is your situation?  Do you anticipate being able to find something near you that you’re qualified for?  Will you have to relocate?  This sucks man.  Sorry.

Back in 2008 a LOT of things sucked! My world changed completely. Glad you have apparently bounced back and have a good attitude about it. 

12 hours ago, Sweats said:

Well, how's this for a holiday bonus?..........got a phone call this morning that my manager had just been fired at 8am today and everyone working for him is now in limbo. The company is weighing the options of saving their dying budget by just letting us all go or replacing the manager with a different guy.........and i'm hearing they're just going to let us all go cause you know, they have to save their over-extended budgets and stuff.

Happy New Year!!!

Stay strong, the one constant in life is change. You don’t always know why, but things have a way of working out. I relocated to Atlanta kicking and screaming. I did NOT want to come and went into a deep funk. The wife came for her job, which turned out not to be any better here. I took the most miserable job of my life to keep afloat.  After a couple years she got a new job on the other side of her parking lot, now making three times what she had been earning. I’ll only work now if I find something I want to do. It looked like disaster, and their was pain and misery, but things worked out for the better. 

My wife’s strength is most people’s (myself included) weakness. She thrives on change. It can be a good thing. Embrace it, because you can’t stop it. (Said the guy with no chips on the table hunkered down on the sidelines, I know...) 

Good luck! 

P.S. - this is long winded, but the situation warrants. I got laid off once. It was a work force reduction. My bank eliminated an entire layer of management. I was crushed. I had a wife and two kids to support, and that job was what I did. You identify yourself that way. I am a [fill in the blank]. For better or for worse. But that is SO overrated! As it turns out, I went to lunch with one of my clients during that rough stretch, went back to his office, and ended up buying into his business. It was the happiest 13 years of my working life! 

My son is a young CPA who was with a big firm who ran out of work. Once audit season finished he wasn’t scheduled to work for the next 5 months. A boatload of people were laid off. He’s never failed at anything! He quickly landed a new job with a 15% raise where he would work 20 fewer hours/week and not have to travel the country and eat meals at truck stops. His life got MUCH better, despite how hurt he was. 

It can actually be a good thing, despite that churning in your gut and the sleepless nights. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1