Jimmy Garoppolo is the Real Deal

26CornerBlitz

I don't think this would happen, BUT is it guaranteed that Jimmy G is a 49er next year.  Say they don't offer him what he wants, and Franchise him so they don't lose him for nothing.  Couldn't someone (Bills) come in and sign him and give the 49ers their 2 first round picks?  Is that how it works?

2 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I don't think this would happen, BUT is it guaranteed that Jimmy G is a 49er next year.  Say they don't offer him what he wants, and Franchise him so they don't lose him for nothing.  Couldn't someone (Bills) come in and sign him and give the 49ers their 2 first round picks?  Is that how it works?

This might help. If the 49ers sign him to a non-exclusive tag the Bills in theory could negotiate with him, but if they offer him a deal the 49ers have the chance to match the offer. 

Types of NFL franchise tags

Exclusive

Just what the name implies. The player is locked into his team and cannot negotiate with any other team during the free agency period.

Non-exclusive

The player is allowed to negotiate with other teams, but if a competing team makes a free agent offer, the original team has the right to match it. If they don’t match the offer, they get two first-round picks in compensation. In other words, this is basically a convoluted trade scenario.

Transition tag

Similar to the non-exclusive tag, except the player gets paid an average of the top 10 salaries at his position, rather than top five. Transition-tagged players are free to negotiate with other teams, but unlike non-exclusive players, the original team gets no compensation if it fails to match an offer.

Once a player gets tagged, that’s when the real drama begins. Both sides have until July 17 to negotiate a long-term contract. This ramps up the sense of urgency. Teams don’t want to use the tag because it ties up a huge chunk of their salary cap for just one year. The players don’t like it because they don’t have any financial security beyond that one year, and have almost no leverage outside of threatening to hold out. If they fail to agree to a long-term deal before the deadline, the player is set for his one-year contract.

Fortunately for most players, they’re often able to secure a new contract with their team and the franchise tag doesn’t have to come into play — at least until the next offseason.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

People love to jump on the hype train and get involved with the orgy going on inside.

That release is something special, if he can stay healthy I could see him living up to some of this hype. Moves well, smart, ball comes off his hand 2nd to only Arod. 

1 minute ago, Manther said:

Any update on Jimmy G's contract status?  Are they even negotiating or both sides just looking at franchise tag and see what happens next year.  Then negotiate as they figure out how good he is?

He'll likely get tagged and they will negotiate from there.

On 12/24/2017 at 9:50 PM, MAJBobby said:

Glad Jimmy G is outside of the AFC and AFCE

Patriots !@#$ed that entire situation up thank god 

they should have tied up $30million in two QBs?

Brady isn't done yet.

I gather the Rams totally mailed in that effort to end the season as well.

....guy gets paid in absentia......LOL............

According to CBS Sports, Garoppolo will be awarded a $51,000 bonus for New England's AFC Championship berth because he was on the Patriots' roster for eight games this season before being traded to a team out of conference.

Lynch didn’t offer any major updates while reiterating that getting a deal done that keeps Garoppolo on the team for a long time is their priority this offseason.

“He was a great addition to our team — kind of a game-changer,” Lynch said on NFL Network, via NBC Sports Bay Area. “When you find the right guy at that position, it’s really good for your franchise. We believe we found the right guy. Now the challenge is getting Jimmy signed. We’re working hard toward that. We’ll see. I think he wants to be with us, and we want him there. It makes too much sense for it not to happen. It’s just a matter of getting it done.”

On 1/11/2018 at 12:06 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

WTH?!? :huh:

I think Policy is closer to the truth than not.  Garappolo and his agent have the 49ers between a rock and a hard place.  Those end of season above average performances are going to cost the 49ers a LOT of money.

• Like (+1) 1

The scary thing is I knew he was going to good when I watched him play on the Mustangs. When he played for EIU and broke most of Romo's records I figured he would be a no brainer. Their have been 4 QB's that I really wanted the Bills to draft. 

1. Jimmy G

2. Russel Wilson

3 Kirk Cousins 

4. Derek Carr