Browns could pass on Rosen given his desire to go to NYG

YoloinOhio

On 12/24/2017 at 6:02 PM, smuvtalker said:

I'm sorry but this topic definitely strikes a nerve with me.  I'm really getting sick and tired hearing about these college QB's, who've never played a down of pro football, publicly stating what NFL team they DON'T  want to play for.  And then this kid has the nerve to take it a step further and threaten to stay in school if the Browns do seriously consider drafting him. Are you effing kidding me???  

The NFL is an exclusive fraternity, where membership includes millions and millions of dollars, resulting in security for you, your family and children, and possibly generations to come.  To play in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, I don't give a shyte what stats you put up in school, nor where "experts" have you projected to go in the draft.  Yet here we are today where more and more players are trying to tell people who they aren't going to play for!!   It blows my mind.   The draft is a rite of passage.  I'm sure since the beginning of NFL time, players have dreamed of going to their favorite team, or cities they've always wanted to play in.  But you know what?  When their name was called, by whatever team it was that decided to draft them, they headed out to that team, and they played NFL football.  Why can't these young kids do the same?  And by allowing these young sofites to continue to come forward with these audacious demands, and actually honoring their wishes, you are further tainting a product that is already diminishing on an almost week to week basis.  And you are ruining a tradition that has always been an exciting part of the NFL.  I hate that Eli Manning was allowed to kickstart  this trend back when he was drafted.  Are we headed to a day when instead of having an NFL draft, we'll have a college "decision day", where the top college players will walk out, sit down at a podium, and then whip out and put on the hat of the NFL team they're decided to play for????   

Sad....really sad.

When you graduated college did you get to pick where you worked?  Also Eli kick started this trend?  It happened with him almost 15 years ago and not since.  Before that it was 83 and Elway.  Would you prefer to go to Cleveland or NYC?  Would you prefer to be part of a franchise that won 4 super bowls or arguably the worst run franchise in the league?  The difference between being the NYG QB and the Browns QB could be many many millions in endorsements setting up his family even better for future generations.  

I won't argue against the draft process because I understand the need for it.  I just won't crush kids for not wanting to put themselves in poor situations.

Be honest with yourself.  Would you prefer to go #1 to Cleveland or #2 to the Giants if you were in the draft?  Is there anyone who would pick Cleveland?

I could see a Eli Manning scenario with the Browns. Eli was the consensus top pick but he didn't want to go to the Chargers. So the Chargers drafted him and then traded him to the Giants for Phillip Rivers and 2 draft choices. I think the Browns could make that kind of move, trade down and grab even more picks, they might be able to add an extra 1st rounder and still pick high enough to grab a QB. 

On 12/24/2017 at 10:07 AM, frostbitmic said:

Stranger things have happened.

I've read that he's not a great leader and that his teammates don't like him, could be the Giants next GM or HC won't like him either.

https://mobile.twitter.com/downwithdamon/status/941325011880525824

complete BS.

all pre draft stuff is pretty much BS. But Cleveland did it to themselves. What good qb prospect would want to go there. It's the one situation we can point at and laugh. We are terrible at developing Qbs but hey, we're not Cleveland!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, section122 said:

When you graduated college did you get to pick where you worked?  Also Eli kick started this trend?  It happened with him almost 15 years ago and not since.  Before that it was 83 and Elway.  Would you prefer to go to Cleveland or NYC?  Would you prefer to be part of a franchise that won 4 super bowls or arguably the worst run franchise in the league?  The difference between being the NYG QB and the Browns QB could be many many millions in endorsements setting up his family even better for future generations.  

I won't argue against the draft process because I understand the need for it.  I just won't crush kids for not wanting to put themselves in poor situations.

Be honest with yourself.  Would you prefer to go #1 to Cleveland or #2 to the Giants if you were in the draft?  Is there anyone who would pick Cleveland?

Yes, when I graduated I did get to pick where I worked, and certainly I expect these kids coming out to have preferences.  And i certainly don't blame them for having a team that they would PREFER to go to.  But to answer your last question, if I had to pick between going 1 to Cleveland or 2 to the Giants, my answer would most definitely be Cleveland.  Reason being is, first, I'm of an old school mentality, and I would love to be the QB that finally turned things around for that franchise.  I would welcome the opportunity to go in there, and show exactly why i was the number one pick.  

I do understand what you are saying as far as financials are concerned.  Yes, they would stand to make more endorsement money in NY vs Cleveland.  However, if you go where you're drafted, play your butt off, when that rookie contract you signed expires, you have set yourself up for your Powerball payday, which in turn also sets up you and your family for the long haul.  

I have heard others mention that Elway was the first to try and dictate where he went.   That may very well be the case, but most think of Eli when it comes to this topic.   

I may have been a bit harsh coming down on Rosen for publicly stating his desire to not play for the Browns, however I am still very strongly opposed to this issue, if for only one reason, and that's putting the draft in danger of becoming a moot point.  The draft was created for several reasons, but one of the biggest was to help the worst teams get better by allowing them to pick first.  If we allow this type of behavior to continue, then those teams that stink will continue to struggle because noone will want to be drafted by them....

Just my humble opinion. 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I could see a Eli Manning scenario with the Browns. Eli was the consensus top pick but he didn't want to go to the Chargers. So the Chargers drafted him and then traded him to the Giants for Phillip Rivers and 2 draft choices. I think the Browns could make that kind of move, trade down and grab even more picks, they might be able to add an extra 1st rounder and still pick high enough to grab a QB. 

...Elway did the same thing back in 1983......

3 hours ago, cba fan said:

I would take the other route and declare I will only play for a certain team like for example Buffalo. Then list all the reasons. I visited and loved the area and people. It is an up and coming area. The game day atmosphere is like no other and closer to college etc etc.. Fans are rabid and smartest in NFL and very supportive. I always looked up to Kelly/Smith/Tasker/Levy etc etc......I want to be the guy who stands on the podium when the hard scrabble Bills fans finally get their due with the Lombardi Trophy etc etc........

He would bi-polar the sports opinion of him immediately but he also would immediately became an instant cult star for life in WNY and parts of Canada.

While i would love to see a kid coming out declare he only wanted to play for the Bills, i would still take the stance that i don't think kids should be allowed to dictate who they will or won't play for.  It would really render the draft pointless, and good teams would continue to get stronger while the poor teams cupboard's would remain bare...one can of french cut green beans in the back corner...

But again I would be pretty awesomely stoked to hear a kid coming out saying he'd only play for the Bills...would be great if it were one of the top QB's coming out.  Say one Baker Mayfield??  Darnold?

On 12/24/2017 at 11:19 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I mentioned this back when it was rumored that Darnold wouldn’t declare if Browns had first pick, but trying to avoid the Browns at the top of the draft in any year is a pretty fruitless endeavor. Returning to school for that reason could backfire as it’s likely the Browns will have the first pick again next year. 

Now THAT is funny! (Cuz it's true.)

On 12/24/2017 at 11:13 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Rosen could easily not declare and go back to UCLA.

He could but he can’t once he’s declared. If I’m the Browns I give no indication Rosen is the guy they want.

Hes not going to sit out. A lot of bluster with this entitled kid. 

1 minute ago, dlonce said:

He could but he can’t once he’s declared. If I’m the Browns I give no indication Rosen is the guy they want.

Hes not going to sit out. A lot of bluster with this entitled kid.

:lol: Thanks for clearing that up.  We'll see, but it wouldn't shock me if he did sit out for a year. 

If I'm Beane, I offer the Browns our two firsts plus Tyrod for the #1 spot.

The Browns will still have a top 5 pick, so they can grab a potential franchise quarterback. They'll also have two additional first rounders from our trade, so they can stock the cupboard. And they'll have a steady if unspectacular veteran QB to be a one-year bridge. And they can quit worrying about which college QB will opt out to avoid going to Cleveland, since they'll all declare knowing they could end up in far better destinations. 

Buffalo gets its choice of QBs to be the franchise guy. And we still have two 2nd rounders and a 3rd rounder to fill some of the gaps not filled by free agency (my prediction is Star Lotulelei joins the team to upgrade the middle of our DL). 

As a competitor, I don't see why you would want to avoid a team like the Browns. Especially at the QB position. The goal is to win the Super Bowl and nothing would make it sweeter than taking a team like the Browns to the promised land. You would be a literal god in Cleveland and would be considered one of the greatest of all time. So does Rosen love football or does he love the prospect of a big pay day? Sounds like he wants an easy 4 years to get to a big payday.

And on a side note, every season is a new season. Look at teams like the Jags and Giants. Jags finally build a team and are in the playoffs for the first time in forever and the Giants are awful. Past success does not mean continued or future success.

14 minutes ago, WickedGame said:

If I'm Beane, I offer the Browns our two firsts plus Tyrod for the #1 spot.

The Browns will still have a top 5 pick, so they can grab a potential franchise quarterback. They'll also have two additional first rounders from our trade, so they can stock the cupboard. And they'll have a steady if unspectacular veteran QB to be a one-year bridge. And they can quit worrying about which college QB will opt out to avoid going to Cleveland, since they'll all declare knowing they could end up in far better destinations. 

Buffalo gets its choice of QBs to be the franchise guy. And we still have two 2nd rounders and a 3rd rounder to fill some of the gaps not filled by free agency (my prediction is Star Lotulelei joins the team to upgrade the middle of our DL). 

The Browns would likely want both our 1st round picks, one of our 2nd rounders, and the teams 1st next year. Tyrod's value to the Browns adds something but it's not enough to compensate for a large trade up like that for a top QB. I think the Jets would offer their higher draft pick plus both their 2nds and their 1st next year to move up to 1. 

Maybe if the Browns like Tyrod they only take a 3rd plus a 1st next year on top of our 2 firsts. But no way they don't get another fairly modest pick plus the Bills 1st next year. 

Edited by billsfan89

8 hours ago, section122 said:

As long as he deals with consequences I have no problem with him sitting out but if he gets a laywer involved trying to sue the NFL to make changes which suit him I have issue just as I have issues with players being tagged and choosing to sit out until 10th game to qualify with year of eligibility or sitting out because their laywer (currently in Hell) told them they can get more even though player signed extension with no durass. 

5 hours ago, Luka said:

As a competitor, I don't see why you would want to avoid a team like the Browns. Especially at the QB position. The goal is to win the Super Bowl and nothing would make it sweeter than taking a team like the Browns to the promised land. You would be a literal god in Cleveland and would be considered one of the greatest of all time. So does Rosen love football or does he love the prospect of a big pay day? Sounds like he wants an easy 4 years to get to a big payday.

And on a side note, every season is a new season. Look at teams like the Jags and Giants. Jags finally build a team and are in the playoffs for the first time in forever and the Giants are awful. Past success does not mean continued or future success.

Yea, heaven forbid a guy prefers a situation that maximizes his odds of success at the toughest position for even talented guys to succeed at. Should prefer the longest odds possible if hes a real competitor 

that said- the browns can play the “who knows” game til he declares but they can’t care whether he likes them on draft day. If he’s #1on their board  you take him

I wouldn't draft the kid. His attitude sucks, his arrogance is overwhelming, and his college career was underwhelming. Having an opinion is clearly a right, but his comment today about players not needing to be exploited when it's to their detriment shows a clear disregard for reality. You were exploited from day 1 when you took that "free" tuition to play football and if you think that you gain power when that changes "tuition" to paycheck, your in for a long career as a malcontent and complainer. I'll call it now, this punk will have, if he's lucky, no more than a mediocre career and likely a bust. Does this sound like a good teammate? Like someone dedicated to hard work and commitment? Like a leader? 

A lot of people will like the kid, like his verve and moxy, and the astute talent evaluator and teams will pass on the arrogance, ignorance, and immaturity. Spoiled little rich kid who didn't need a scholarship yet whines about the inequity of college scholarships for athletes and hasn't had a tough day in his life. Not cut out to be a leader of a franchise nor someone players will follow.

Mark it down. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, zonabb said:

I wouldn't draft the kid. His attitude sucks, his arrogance is overwhelming, and his college career was underwhelming. Having an opinion is clearly a right, but his comment today about players not needing to be exploited when it's to their detriment shows a clear disregard for reality. You were exploited from day 1 when you took that "free" tuition to play football and if you think that you gain power when that changes "tuition" to paycheck, your in for a long career as a malcontent and complainer. I'll call it now, this punk will have, if he's lucky, no more than a mediocre career and likely a bust. Does this sound like a good teammate? Like someone dedicated to hard work and commitment? Like a leader? 

A lot of people will like the kid, like his verve and moxy, and the astute talent evaluator and teams will pass on the arrogance, ignorance, and immaturity. Spoiled little rich kid who didn't need a scholarship yet whines about the inequity of college scholarships for athletes and hasn't had a tough day in his life. Not cut out to be a leader of a franchise nor someone players will follow.

Mark it down. 

It would be nice if you wouldn't equivocate and just come out and say how you feel about this. :lol: