Tate's Poor Kickoff Returns

BigDingus

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

One word: Crossman. 

here we go again. Danny and his questionable statistics through history.
 I would rather cover or down the ball when it is kicked into or certainly bouncing rolling into the end zone.

I expect Tate does not have the best blocking set ups in some situations. I am concerned about his triggers to return it from Coaches.
He could still take it i am sure. but i have yet to see that magical seam you sometimes see a burst through for the returner being opened up. ( From my TV anyways )

I’ll take the 25 on most of those. Yes, it eliminates the chance to see the thing we have yet to see, the long return. I’ll go with the odds and skip the chance of a block in the back eventually bringing back that one....... sorry, I went all glass half empty for a moment. 

3 hours ago, jaybee said:

Well, there are 10 other guys on the field and an ST coach.  Easy to point a finger at Tate but who really knows what the problem is.

Well, I have made my crossman opinion known but in this thread.... unless your answer gets us to the 30 regularly than the real answer is just kneel, no?

Hard to do well returning kicks when you have 5 guys surrounding you at the 15 yard line. Our blocking on kickoffs has been atrocious.

That said he needs to stop returning balls put of the end zone. When the ball is short of the end zone there isn't much choice.

The last Bills player I can remember returning a KO for a TD was CJ Spiller.  I think it was on a Thursday night game.  Does anyone know the last time it happened?

The point is, it's really hard to break through.  ST coaches and squads are very good at covering kicks.  The best approach seems to be to kick it high and have it land around the 5, and force the other team to try to return it.  Stop them at the 20 and get the blocking in the back penalty, and they're pinned deep.  We don't do this often enough.

I too have been railing on this point.  My buddy who goes to the games with me is a little tired of hearing it I think.

Aside from the fact Tate rarely gets to the 20, as said, penalties often set us back inside the 15.  On top of that, the risk of a fumble needs to be considered as well as the risk of player injuries.  

Given all of the possible negatives, I wish he would take a knee whenever possible.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Hard to do well returning kicks when you have 5 guys surrounding you at the 15 yard line. Our blocking on kickoffs has been atrocious.

That said he needs to stop returning balls put of the end zone. When the ball is short of the end zone there isn't much choice.

Not really the blocking rather than the new spot of the kickoff. Teams before would just kick ball out and ball would be spotted at the 20. While now they have incentive to kick ball short to prevent ball from being placed at the 25. This new rule along with the rule that moved the kickoff up is  a disaster for kick returners. The coverage team is down there in like 2 seconds. NFL really needs to move the kickoff back to where it was orginally.

Great thread OP! I've been screaming the same thing every Sunday. And sitting in the stadium at the Chargers game it was amazing how many of the fans were yelling for him to simply take a knee...but no...he had to bring it out and the Bills kept starting around the 15 yard line. (Of course it was made really annoying because the Chargers kicked off about TEN times in the first half alone.)

But, this is on the Coach, not Tate! He has to be told what to do and what not to do. A kick return is like any other offensive play. It is not random. The return team rehearses it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

Not really the blocking rather than the new spot of the kickoff. Teams before would just kick ball out and ball would be spotted at the 20. While now they have incentive to kick ball short to prevent ball from being placed at the 25. This new rule along with the rule that moved the kickoff up is  a disaster for kick returners. The coverage team is down there in like 2 seconds. NFL really needs to move the kickoff back to where it was orginally.

The biggest change was not allowing a true wedge to form...blockers arent allowed to link arms together anymore, its a penalty if they do it.  This is why its so much harder to block on kickoffs...a lot more people running free that would have been caught up in the wedge previous to the rule change

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The biggest change was not allowing a true wedge to form...blockers arent allowed to link arms together anymore, its a penalty if they do it.  This is why its so much harder to block on kickoffs...a lot more people running free that would have been caught up in the wedge previous to the rule change

Rules are ruining football.

On 12/22/2017 at 9:05 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Great thread OP! I've been screaming the same thing every Sunday. And sitting in the stadium at the Chargers game it was amazing how many of the fans were yelling for him to simply take a knee...but no...he had to bring it out and the Bills kept starting around the 15 yard line. (Of course it was made really annoying because the Chargers kicked off about TEN times in the first half alone.)

But, this is on the Coach, not Tate! He has to be told what to do and what not to do. A kick return is like any other offensive play. It is not random. The return team rehearses it.

Fair enough, I'm not sure how it all goes down, but I expected it to be corrected by now either by a coach or Tate simply realizing he's not getting anywhere.

The NFL changed the rules for a reason, and it's to add extra incentive to kneel knowing the ball will be spotted at the 25 instead of the 20. And didn't they also move kickoffs up the field too, thus increasing the chances of it going into the endzone? I get it if the ball is coming down in a risky area, and you're not sure whether or not it'll fall into the endzone, but when it comes to all the ones that are fielded from the endzone itself or were obviously going in? That's what is frustrating & infuriating to watch.