ESPN predicts Alex Smith as starting Bills QB in 2018.

PIZ

6 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Smith is a way better QB than Taylor but I still wouldn't want him a the Bills QB.

No thanks to either of them.

New young QB blood next year, please.

.....huh?...Smith would be your two year vet presence to work with new 1st round QB and Peterman.....

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....huh?...Smith would be your two year vet presence to work with new 1st round QB and Peterman.....

No just throw the rookie to the wolves ;) 

In 2 years when he has lost his confidence and the fan base wants him gone you draft another one ;) 

6 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

In 2 years when he has lost his confidence and the fan base wants him gone you draft another one ;) 

...OR....you could surrender ALL of your draft capital AND $30 mil/yr for Cousins' mediocrity, right (COUGH)??..................

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...OR....you could surrender ALL of your draft capital AND $30 mil/yr for Cousins' mediocrity, right (COUGH)??..................

Dunkirk Bay Chaddon would like that ;) 

32 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Not to mention a new coaching staff and GM as the 50/50 rookie has a large probability to miss. If he does miss fans will be crying for full rebuild.

Edited by Real McCoy

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I really like Alex Smith but how can he make all these great throws but never seems to win when it matters?

The whole team played the second half like "Oh my god here we go again we're hosed", like they expected to lose.

I dunno, by now the Chiefs have been being smacked out of the playoffs in the first game so long perhaps they're habituated?

44 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

? why draft capital?  And what makes you think Cousins will get $30M/yr?

Don't look now, but Alex Smith salary next year is $17M and he's not going to resign for peanuts.

I would guess that Cousins will sign for a Carr-like contract - 5 year, $125M, $40M guaranteed, $20-$23M the first several years between signing and roster bonuses.  He might like a Stafford-like contract but I doubt he gets it.

Cousins is a more classic pocket passer than Smith, and he needs a good line.  Give him decent protection and WR and I'm not so sure "mediocrity" is the word.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The whole team played the second half like "Oh my god here we go again we're hosed", like they expected to lose.

I dunno, by now the Chiefs have been being smacked out of the playoffs in the first game so long perhaps they're habituated?

? why draft capital?  And what makes you think Cousins will get $30M/yr?

Don't look now, but Alex Smith salary next year is $17M and he's not going to resign for peanuts.

....just quoting stuff that is out there......I should have clarified that I was referring to speculation..........Cousins may not get $30 mil, but I'd think Carr's contract would be a baseline for his negotiations.........as far as Smith, I know what his tariff is........so a quick question is who give you the better bang for your buck in your view, TT at $16 mil or Smith at $17 mil and which bests fits what we THINK McD/Dennison want to do offensively?.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, baskin said:

Which plays? You must have All 22....I saw a team whose defense wilted...had a All Pro running back and completely failed to use him...AS did not make poor throws in the second half....even that last throw hit the recever right in the hands....Seems like much of the criticism of As is qualitative. 4000 yards 26/5 104 rating??  And people dont think he would be a huge upgrade?

Oh...must have missed those 3 Chief first downs in the secnod half...

11 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

He should throw and catch the Ball I guess like Mariotta. WR's were straight dropping everything he threw hitting them in stride.

Loss was all on their coaching staff and weak ass D.

Or he could like panic under no pressure and try and scramble on the most important 3rd down of the game when he had a chance to get his team in FG range...much like Cousins, I don't want a QB who plays his worst when he is needed most.

Edited by matter2003

17 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....just quoting stuff that is out there......I should have clarified that I was referring to speculation..........Cousins may not get $30 mil, but I'd think Carr's contract would be a baseline for his negotiations.........as far as Smith, I know what his tariff is........so a quick question is who give you the better bang for your buck in your view, TT at $16 mil or Smith at $17 mil and which bests fits what we THINK McD/Dennison want to do offensively?.......

Oh, 'k, gotcha.

Can I vote "none of the above"?  I think Smith is habituated to falling short in big games.  I don't think we need a guy in his mid-30s who has that habit.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, 'k, gotcha.

Can I vote "none of the above"?  I think Smith is habituated to falling short in big games.  I don't think we need a guy in his mid-30s who has that habit.

...CERTAINLY......and I respect your vote......so, if you're voting "none of the above", how would you "fill in the blanks"?.......just curious as to your perspective......thanks....

4 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Don`t blame him,lots of drops and coaching not to lose.

They need a serious upgrade at TE2 and TE3 and WR too way to many smurfs. 

We definitely need a better TE , Clay is too injured. Since Whaley has been gone our WRs are a lot bigger, we just need better ones.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

We definitely need a better TE , Clay is too injured. Since Whaley has been gone our WRs are a lot bigger, we just need better ones.

I know you won't agree with this ;), but we should draft Baker Mayfield and Mark Andrews.  They've already got a good chemistry going.

On 12/21/2017 at 10:16 PM, BigDingus said:

I know, that would be an outrage! Who cares if he plays great, takes care of the ball, can move the ball through the air, can read a defense, can run the ball when he has to, go through his progressions, throw receivers open, can hit people in stride, can actually call audibles, and finds ways to win consistently? 

Apparently 33 is too old anyway. I mean these older guys can't play:

Ben Roethlisberger (will be 36 start of next season)

Tom Brady (will be 41 start of next season)

Drew Brees (turns 39 next month)

Phillp Rivers (36)

Matt Ryan (will be 33 before start of next season)

Carson Palmer (turns 38 in a week)

Aaron Rodgers (34)

They should've all been out of the league years ago!

I actually wonder what's up with modern QB development, because almost every good quarterback now is getting quite old and I see approximately zero Brees/Brady/Rodgers replacements. I can only name one QB under 30(Wilson) who's an equal to prime Rivers or Palmer and they were a whole tier down from Manning/Brady/Brees.

I think one reason they're sticking around so long is just because of how poorly modern QBs are being developed. You can stick around a lot longer when your younger potential replacements are slack jawed fumblers who can barely hit the side of a schoolbus at 10 yards.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, 'k, gotcha.

Falling short?...perhaps you should look at his performances in his 7 playoffs games....which successful QB doesnt eventually lose in the Playoffs....? only on guy ends up winning...