Mike Tolbert - Pro Bowl FB Alternate?

By the way ... why can't Tolbert play FB, as in the DiMarco role? He'd be a useful player if he could be a lead blocker as well as a short yardage back. As it is, we have 2 players - Pat DiTolbert? - to play what should be one role. Maybe they should nominate DiMarco to the Pro Bowl for the "lead blocker who never carries and really should never be thrown to either" position.

17 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

By the way ... why can't Tolbert play FB, as in the DiMarco role? He'd be a useful player if he could be a lead blocker as well as a short yardage back. As it is, we have 2 players - Pat DiTolbert? - to play what should be one role. Maybe they should nominate DiMarco to the Pro Bowl for the "lead blocker who never carries and really should never be thrown to either" position.

Because he's not a fullback, he's never had to be a lead blocker and he's never been a short yardage back. The guy has been in the league for a long time, it's amazing to me that so many people have no idea what kind of player he is/was.

He was a great receiver out of the backfield early in his career, he's never been a short yardage back for any significant time. Just because he's bigger than most backs, doesn't mean he could be a successful fullback. He's a running back, not a fullback.

2 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

DiMarco has been so bad and overpaid it is fitting Tolbert was recognized over him.  Not playing a single snap at FB is better than what DiMarco has done at FB all year.

I disagree. DiMarco is doing exactly what they're paying him to do. The few times they've tried to stretch his role have been failures. But he's good at his (extremely limited) job. He's Felton all over again.

20 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Because he's not a fullback, he's never had to be a lead blocker and he's never been a short yardage back. The guy has been in the league for a long time, it's amazing to me that so many people have no idea what kind of player he is/was.

He was a great receiver out of the backfield early in his career, he's never been a short yardage back for any significant time. Just because he's bigger than most backs, doesn't mean he could be a successful fullback. He's a running back, not a fullback.

I think that's correct, except he has been used with some effectiveness as a short yardage back in his career. But my question is a different one. It's "why couldn't Tolbert learn how to succeed as a fullback/lead blocker." After all, even when he has the ball he leads with his head and runs right into guys.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I disagree. DiMarco is doing exactly what they're paying him to do. The few times they've tried to stretch his role have been failures. But he's good at his (extremely limited) job. He's Felton all over again.

I think that's correct, except he has been used with some effectiveness as a short yardage back in his career. But my question is a different one. It's "why couldn't Tolbert learn how to succeed as a fullback/lead blocker." After all, even when he has the ball he leads with his head and runs right into guys.

I checked his split stats when we signed him. He wasn't terribly effective as a short yardage back, no more than the average RB. As to why couldn't he learn? I don't know, but he's 31, has never really done it in his career, just doesn't seem to make much sense to try. I may be wrong, but really, we need to use DiMarco more in that role. He played well against Miami, don't recall him being used as much all season until last week.

Just now, Dadonkadonk said:

DiMarco has been so bad and overpaid it is fitting Tolbert was recognized over him.  Not playing a single snap at FB is better than what DiMarco has done at FB all year.

He made a nice block on Shady's TD run this week. The Fins corner was terrified of him and just whimped out. DiMarco barreled into him and Shady right right behind into the endzone.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, klos63 said:

I checked his split stats when we signed him. He wasn't terribly effective as a short yardage back, no more than the average RB. As to why couldn't he learn? I don't know, but he's 31, has never really done it in his career, just doesn't seem to make much sense to try. I may be wrong, but really, we need to use DiMarco more in that role. He played well against Miami, don't recall him being used as much all season until last week.

Agreed about it being too late for Tolbert to learn a new trick. DiMarco: I specifically noted a couple of key blocks opening up holes for Shady last week. He's a guy where you'd have to watch the All 22 to have a sense of whether he's doing his job well. I don't have the time or inclination to do that, but PFF does it for a living, and they say:

Overall rating: "Poor"

Overall rating: #8 among fullbacks

Which is another way of saying fullback is kind of a dying position in football. 

7 hours ago, BoccesOnTransit said:

Are Pro Bowl alternates chosen/voted upon the same way as the starters? Tolbert was used a backup HB this year, and not even a good one at that!

How did he make it?

THe Pro Bowl is a joke!

7 hours ago, BoccesOnTransit said:

Are Pro Bowl alternates chosen/voted upon the same way as the starters? Tolbert was used a backup HB this year, and not even a good one at that!

How did he make it?

That is terrible, DiMarco should have been the alternate as he has been lighting guys up in the run game.

7 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Prowl bowl full back is anybody that has played full back at some point and had a few carries? they're looking for anybody to fill that slot.

We need another Mike Alstott in the league. I still miss that guy, one of my all time favorite players.

7 hours ago, transient said:

Apparently John Scott was busy. 

Didn't Groy play some  FB? They should have put him in.

6 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Go back and watch last week's game.

I've always wished as neutral panel as possible was selected to pick the pro bowl players (similar to HOF selection committee).   Fans, coaches, and players have their biases.  Name recognition is also important explaining Tolbert I guess.