Steelers vs. Patriots

Real McClappy

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

When going to the ground the catch isnt conpleted until you land. If the catch isn’t completed, you aren’t crossing the goal line with possession there. The football move was landing, not reaching while going down. 

But wasn't his knee on the ground, and hasn't he showed possession by pulling it in a d then reaching across the goal line?

12 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

The ground never helped him CONTROL the ball.  He had control of the ball when he move the ball to his body and then extended it to break the plan of the goal line, (with a knee on the ground).  The ball shifted after it broke the goal line.

Yes. It's a ridiculous argument. He had control of the ball easily. He brought it in, showed control, then brought it out. There is not even a question. 

12 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

the rule is it must assist.  Assist has a very basic definition.  He had control, therefore the ground did not assist. It was not "moving" when it hit the ground.  And, it was too close to overturn.  No team but the Pats*** gets that call (or Gronk for this game).  

Weve seen teams lose points and games on this plenty of times. Typically in the endzone already but it’s the same issue falling into the end zone. It’s always the same back and forth that possession in the endzone is an immediate TD and the refs are terrible vs possession not actually occurring until the fall is fully completed (the rule)

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

But wasn't his knee on the ground, and hasn't he showed possession by pulling it in a d then reaching across the goal line?

You have to complete the entire fall there. In a spatial and scientific sense he controlled the motion of the ball but he has to maintain that through the entirety of the fall (not the knee touch or breaking the goal line) to establish possession 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Weve seen teams lose points and games on this plenty of times. Typically in the endzone already but it’s the same issue falling into the end zone. It’s always the same back and forth that possession in the endzone is an immediate TD and the refs are terrible vs possession not actually occurring until the fall is fully completed (the rule)

I think they are a bit more stringent when it’s going into the end zone or in the end zone then they are in the field of play or sideline because it results in points. 

Just now, NoSaint said:

I think this one was way different. I understand how there are different arguments over what is a catch. But both live and on replay you can see him clearly catch the ball, bring it IN, showing possession and only then pushing it out to the endzone. The bounce on the goaloine or close doesn't matter. He's already shown clear posessesion. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I think this one was way different. I understand how there are different arguments over what is a catch. But both live and on replay you can see him clearly catch the ball, bring it IN, showing possession and only then pushing it out to the endzone. The bounce on the goaloine or close doesn't matter. He's already shown clear posessesion. 

Is he going to the ground in that process? 

You know I respect your opinion on football matters but this one seems obvious so I’m going to be blunt:

at what point does he possesses the ball and make a football move before he starts his fall? If you can’t outline that, he has to maintain control all the way through the fall, and his landing. 

6 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

https://twitter.com/DeanBlandino/status/942551139127500800

These are the types who are running the NFL now.

If I were a receiver, I would make it a point to come up with the ball and personally walk over and hand it to the ball jude after every catch,  just so there is no reason for debate. Who cares is every game takes 4 hours.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

5 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I think they are a bit more stringent when it’s going into the end zone or in the end zone then they are in the field of play or sideline because it results in points. 

I think the controversy on the scoring plays is normally that fans fall on the rule that the play ends immediately on breaking the goal line and neglect what it takes to actually establish possession  

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Tony Romo even said it was not a catch BASED on how the rule is written. I will bow to his knowledge of the rule as I long ago lost any idea what is or is t a catch in the NFL.  I also hate the WR being knocked out by a defender not being able to catch the ball. That rule should be written if he goes out of his own accord not knocked out by a defender.. a lot of terrible rules in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

If I were a receiver, I would make it a point to come up with the ball and personally walk over and hand it to the ball jude after every catch,  just so there is no reason for debate. Who cares is every game takes 4 hours.

Essentially that’s the expectation when going to the ground. Until you hear a whistle while you have the ball in your hands and still— hold on. Players have lost points by neglecting that and doing things like using the ball to get up or tossing it aside too quickly 

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Better have eyes on the back of your head because they are coming to knock it away. Even walking off the field.

In 2010 the NFL referee made a horrible call on Calvin Johnson's TD that wasn't.  The NFL has spent the last seven years creating the most obtuse rules in sport to define what a catch is to justify that horrible Calvin Johnson call.

For every other play in football, a player is defined to be on the ground when a knee hits the ground, or an elbow, or a player's backside.  That goes for tackles, plays on the sideline, fair catches.  It's for everything but a catch, because as we saw today, a player had the ball in both hands, with a knee on the ground was not considered to have taken the catch "to the ground."

Easy fix here is to say if a player has possession of the ball, and a knee, elbow, or rump hits the ground, whether the player is contacted or not, the catch is considered to be "taken to the ground."  It's common sense that would remove the air of corruption that stinks up the league today.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Tony Romo even said it was not a catch BASED on how the rule is written. I will bow to his knowledge of the rule as I long ago lost any idea what is or is t a catch in the NFL.  I also hate the WR being knocked out by a defender not being able to catch the ball. That rule should be written if he goes out of his own accord not knocked out by a defender.. a lot of terrible rules in the NFL.

That was re-written not long ago to get rid of additional layer of subjectivity. Feet are in or out and the ref isn’t trying to interpret intent or hypothetical outcomes in the moment. 

Honestly, the catch rules aren’t THAT hard if you take a few minutes to understand the theory flowing through them and accept you aren’t going to write a paragraph or couple billet points to define and govern every single way a ball, player, opponents and the field could possibly interact and make everyone happy