TBD's Approval Rating for Sean McDermott As Bills Head Coach?

BuffaloRush

Do You Approve of Sean McDermott As Bills Head Coach?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Approve of Sean McDermott As Bills Head Coach?

• Yes, I approve
    • No, I do not approve

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Agreed.  I criticized the move and still think it was a poor decision that we were fortunate worked out.  The only thing I could come up with is the Colts knew the run was coming and RB's can slip easily in the snow as we saw all game.  You don't convert that 4th down and the game's over as you'd be pinned back inside your 20 against the win if you get the ball back.   I would of liked to hear what was discussed on the sideline during that timeout.  Somebody had to tell him that a tie probably means the end of the season.  I'm hoping at least.

But a tie doesn't mean the end of the season.  A loss does, and that's what would have happen if Colts had a short field and given a botched 4-1 by Bills.  Just like the opening drive, botched 4-3 led to FG attempt.

A tie is better and NOT the end of the season.  Don't know where this BS about a tie got started.  Do the math. A tie doesn't kill the season.  Glad people on sidelines reasoned w/him away from rolling the bones all on one play that everybody & their brother knew was gonna be a 2 or 3 hole run or sneak.  The field was covered... You trust the refs to align and get spot right? Video would have been useless... The hash marks & lines were obscured.  A close play would have solely relied on spot & chains.

McD was a very wise and astute coach on that 4-1 call!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Don't understand why Ducasse is a head scratcher? He is currently the best RG we have. Unfortunately. 

Tolbert is but seems we are getting Cadet more involved. Cadet is a great pass catcher out of the backfield. He is a perfect Patriots RB.

Ducasse being our best option is why it’s a head scratcher. He absolutely sucks. This has been known for several years now.

If Tolbert wasn’t injured I’m confident he would still be our #2 RB. No idea why McD likes him so much.

There is no indication he has any sense of contemporary NFL offensive football. And because of that huge blind spot, I think he is absolutely the wrong HC for the supposed rookie "franchise QB" Beaney Baby is plotting to trade the future for. The decline of the Bills offense from okay to wretched is a flashing red sign.

As to the improvement of the defense for which he's getting hosannas from many around here, any coach not named Ryan could see how to fix it. Hell, most of this board long ago diagnosed it, so at best I give him credit for doing the obvious.

So whether it's after this season, next season or the season after that, I think he will join that very long list of former Bills coaches who couldn't get it done, another mediocrity for a franchise that defines mediocrity.

4 hours ago, CLTbills said:

And WON the game. Tired of people complaining about a win.

My god. It was still a TERRIBLE call. Tired of people saying the win erases the call.

You probably think W/L record for QB's is a stat too.

Edited by Jay_Fixit

13 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Ducasse being our best option is why it’s a head scratcher. He absolutely sucks. This has been known for several years now.

If Tolbert wasn’t injured I’m confident he would still be our #2 RB. No idea why McD likes him so much.

McDermott is not the GM. Whaley signed Ducasse... And drafted Miller. It was clear in preseason that McDermott didn't want to start either of them but did so out of necessity. And to be fair Ducasse has played much better than orginally thought. He is a much better guard than tackle. And when he was signed everyone assumed RT. But he has played better than what he has shown in the past

And last game with a healthy Tolbert... Cadet was involved more than Mike. Seems coaches definitely kept him out after the fumble. Tolbert has a place on this team but it shouldn't be a #2. He should be a #3 goaline back who provides vet leadership. And be a backup FB

Edited by Kmart128

1 minute ago, Kmart128 said:

McDermott is not the GM. Whaley signed Ducasse... And drafted Miller. It was clear in preseason that McDermott didn't want to start either of them but did so out of necessity. 

And last game with a healthy Tolbert... Cadet was involved more than Mike. Seems coaches definitely kept him out after the fumble. Tolbert has a place on this team but it shouldn't be a #2. He should be a #3 goaline back who provides vet leadership. And be a backup FB

B.B. and McD have had the entire offseason and season to look for other options at RG. It’s not as if they only realized he sucks just before the season started and have no way of replacing him. 

Just now, Bangarang said:

B.B. and McD have had the entire offseason and season to look for other options at RG. It’s not as if they only realized he sucks just before the season started and have no way of replacing him. 

Free agency and the draft happened well before Beane was on this team. Thats not the entire off season. Sure he could pick off others team garbage. But there is a reason for those cuts. If other teams roster cuts is the only way to add a player... I would not consider that a whole off-season. Beane missed the two most important part of the off-season

4 hours ago, CLTbills said:

And WON the game. Tired of people complaining about a win.

who was complaining about the win? who?

the win had nothing to do with what many thought to be a bad call, that was the complaint, a bad call. I bet if you looked closely enough you could see that.

can you show me a quote or link to those specifically complaining about the win?

no, you can not.

the reality is, McD got very lucky with that call and I have to ask you a serious question. had it not gone his way and they lost, would you of been complaining about the loss or the bad call that led to the loss?

don't come back with they won so it's irrelevant, just answer the question.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Free agency and the draft happened well before Beane was on this team. Thats not the entire off season. Sure he could pick off others team garbage. But there is a reason for those cuts. If other teams roster cuts is the only way to add a player... I would not consider that a whole off-season. Beane missed the two most important part of the off-season

I am familiar with the order of events. However, Whaley has always been a GM that gets his HC the players he wants. If Ducasse is here it’s because McD or Castillo wanted him here.

16 hours ago, McBean said:

I think he’s done great for the talent that is here.

He’s made some stupid calls during games but hey, he’ll learn.

I think we got a good one.

He helped create the lack of talent.

hes a fine, basic NFL coach.  Really nothing special.  But he could be really solid if he didn't have so much power.  I don't trust this setup where the coach is basically the GM.  They have made some awful moves which could have been the difference in us making the playoffs in this garbage AFC.

21 minutes ago, Gigs said:

I’d say he has some ‘splaining to do

He 'splained it, Lucy. ;-)

I didn't agree with the decision or the "essplanation," but the bottom line is that we won the game. Once you choose a path, you'll never know what was on a different path - it's possible that it was the right call.

16 hours ago, McBean said:

I think he’s done great for the talent that is here.

He’s made some stupid calls during games but hey, he’ll learn.

I think we got a good one.

Is that we've been waiting for as a fanbase?...........a HC who's going to learn as he goes?

Unacceptable.

It was absolutely the right call.  He made the right call on 4-1 in overtime.  I hate him too for being conservative... But won't hate on man when he makes the right call.

A tie and win keep the season alive.  Simple.  Say it with me.  A tie would keep the season alive.  A loss is worse. 

What's worse.  9-7 or 10-6-1.  

There are other things to hate on the man about, this isn't one of them.  He playef for tie and a win, got a win!  What more do you want!

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It was absolutely the right call.  He made the right call on 4-1 in overtime.  I hate him too for being conservative... But won't hate on man when he makes the right call.

A tie and win keep the season alive.  Simple.  Say it with me.  A tie would keep the season alive.  A loss is worse. 

There are other things to hate on the man about, this isn't one of them.  He playef for tie and a win, got a win!  What more do you want!

It's not about the call and how it turned out but rather the mindset.

it worked out and that's great.  But how come no one ever says they went for it on 4th and 1 because they trust the defense?  Because that would be the ultimate sign of trust.  

Personally, I think you should do what your opponent doesn't want you to do.  The Colts didn't want the Bills to go for it there.  The Bills had the game on their hands and they punted it away.

i hate how inconsistent fans are.  I hated the punt call and I'm not going to pretend I liked it because we ended up beating a terrible football team.  And if next time SM goes for it and doesn't make it, I will defend him.  I'll  always be good with a Coach trying to Win and control their destiny over the one hoping.

I voted "Yes" because I think McD's done a good job  with the roster he has.  This is not a playoff caliber roster so to be even sniffing the playoffs at this point is something of an accomplishment.

I do wish, though, that the options on the survey were more than a binary yes/no.   My "yes" answer is not an emphatic one.  There are going to be a lot of questions this offseason.  I want to see how he answers them.

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

I voted "Yes" because I think McD's done a good job  with the roster he has.  This is not a playoff caliber roster so to be even sniffing the playoffs at this point is something of an accomplishment.

I do wish, though, that the options on the survey were more than a binary yes/no.   My "yes" answer is not an emphatic one.  There are going to be a lot of questions this offseason.  I want to see how he answers them before I become an ardent admirer.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It's not about the call and how it turned out but rather the mindset.

it worked out and that's great.  But how come no one ever says they went for it on 4th and 1 because they trust the defense?  Because that would be the ultimate sign of trust.  

Personally, I think you should do what your opponent doesn't want you to do.  The Colts didn't want the Bills to go for it there.  The Bills had the game on their hands and they punted it away.

i hate how inconsistent fans are.  I hated the punt call and I'm not going to pretend I liked it because we ended up beating a terrible football team.  And if next time SM goes for it and doesn't make it, I will defend him.  I'll  always be good with a Coach trying to Win and control their destiny over the one hoping.

I am sorry... I meant to say: 9-6-1 above!:wallbash:

No help needed if it comes down to Bills being 9-6-1 vs. a team 9-7.

The mindset was great!  He played the proper strategy, Win-Lose (a tie) middle outcome.  And guess what he got with playing the middle outcome (a tie) & he got the best outcome, a win! 

I know most chuckleheads wanted him to go and play Win-Win.  But if one plays that way and doesn't succeed, they get Lose-Lose more times than not.  High risk, high reward.

He simply played the BETTER middle outcome.

See it for what it was.  He went old-school before all this zero-sum crap invaded our minds.  Nothing wrong with playing Win-Lose.  It shows he has a rational head on his shoulders.

Anyway we slice it.  9-6-1 is better than 9-7 and that is what he played for: 9-6-1.

That call shows we got a smart coach!

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But a tie doesn't mean the end of the season.  A loss does, and that's what would have happen if Colts had a short field and given a botched 4-1 by Bills.  Just like the opening drive, botched 4-3 led to FG attempt.

A tie is better and NOT the end of the season.  Don't know where this BS about a tie got started.  Do the math. A tie doesn't kill the season.  Glad people on sidelines reasoned w/him away from rolling the bones all on one play that everybody & their brother knew was gonna be a 2 or 3 hole run or sneak.  The field was covered... You trust the refs to align and get spot right? Video would have been useless... The hash marks & lines were obscured.  A close play would have solely relied on spot & chains.

McD was a very wise and astute coach on that 4-1 call!

25 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think you mean 9-6-1.  I did say it probably means the end of the season (not would have been).  It was a tough call by McDermott and understand those defending the call.  I just disagree with it still.  As a head coach you have to be honest with yourself and consider all the variables when making that decision including our chances of winning out which is what we had to do as another loss and we're 8-7-1 at best (not getting you in). The odds of us running the table and win two tough division road games are slim.  Especially the Patriots who just clobbered you the week before on your home turf.  Heck, he had to know that we'd even need help if we went 10-6.  Our chances of making the playoffs at 9-7 are just under 50%.  Overconfidence in your team (winning out) is a fast track to getting fired if he would have been satisfied with a tie.

Then you have to figure the situation of the game.  You're running short on time with four minutes left.  Our offense is on our third quarterback who's last throw was an interception.  What's more likely for a victory?  Punting from their 41 and hoping to get the ball back in worse field position with one time out left with about 4 minutes to play and then driving up the field with this offense (who's only scored one TD all game) against the wind.  Or, trusting your offense to get that one yard and hope to get close enough for field goal or break one for a touchdown?  I would argue the latter.  One good throw to TY Hilton and we either tie or lose that game.