More from obd

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Teddy Bridgwater... who I will admit I loved...

fell because he was barely 6'2 214 LBs  with small hands and average arm strength 

his frame was very narrow. That pretty much made him fall out of the top 10-15 regardless 

Trubisky is a much bigger 6'2 with a much better frame and I was shocked when Chicago traded up for him 

Did not like Bridgewater , but love Baker.

59 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Now that's false.

i have been around the game my whole life. Grew up in a press box, seen it from a players, coaches and scouts perspective 

nobody changes a QB grade based on a pro day except A bad organization...

QB is the one position you grade solely based on game film not pro days and combines

So the Browns will take him #1? Maybe he has good table manners and a firm handshake?    :)

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:
2 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

I like him too but I don't think he fits McDermotts mold of the type of player he wants

Don't see why not. If they are looking for tough dedicated guys he's it.

I was referring more to his off field incident or his crotch grab. His toughness and grit on the football field would be exactly right. Does one area outweigh the other?

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Did not like Bridgewater , but love Baker.

I like Baker Mayfield a lot.

I was skeptical before the season but I was lucky enough to see him in Norman and I changed 

He has high level football IQ and plays the game it should be played. With passion 

If he was 6'4 he would pass Darnold and Rosen as the top prospects 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I was skeptical before the season but I was lucky enough to see him in Norman and I changed 

He has high level football IQ and plays the game it should be played. With passion 

Agree 100%.

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No...just that you should hear him shout when he gets all steamed up...

I can’t hear him, and I can’t read his lips because apparently there is a foggy storm front covering his mouth on network TV. Strange, indeed! 

I don’t know what to make of him. Apparently those around him love him, but everyone else hates him. Not sure what’s more important, interviews with him or everyone else he’s ever encountered. I am intrigued by the amount of love he gets from some pretty smart evaluators, but I can’t have an opinion without some clue about the person. There’s a guy on my college hoops team the whole world hates, except his teammates and fans. Hard to say...

But his spout appear adequate....

19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I just don't understand why the Scouts, Coaches and GM's put so much emphasis on a QB's height. If Drew Brees was 6'4" would that mean instead of having thrown for more than 70,000 yards he would have thrown for over 100,000? Instead of throwing nearly 500 touchdown passes, would he have thrown for 700? It's idiotic.

Edited by RobH063
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I can’t hear him, and I can’t read his lips because apparently there is a foggy storm front covering his mouth on network TV. Strange, indeed! 

I don’t know what to make of him. Apparently those around him love him, but everyone else hates him. Not sure what’s more important, interviews with him or everyone else he’s ever encountered. I am intrigued by the amount of love he gets from some pretty smart evaluators, but I can’t have an opinion without some clue about the person. There’s a guy on my college hoops team the whole world hates, except his teammates and fans. Hard to say...

Usually if you are the guy who every opposing team hates and the opposing fans hate then you are probably pretty damn good and they hate playing you

being despised by opposing teams and fans is an honor 

because they usually don't hate scrubs

14 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

I just don't understand why the Scouts, Coaches and GM's put so much emphasis on a QB's height. If Drew Brees was 6'4 would that mean instead of having thrown for more than 70,000 yards he would have thrown for over 100,000? Instead of throwing nearly 500 touchdown passes, would he have thrown for 700? It's idiotic.

Well there is stats behind it.

Over a century of football there has been ample time to see what the prototype QB looks like... just like the Prototype 3 technique

If you are drafting top 10 you can't miss... and the fact is that no QB under 6'2 has been drafted in the top 10 in the last 20 years and been successful besides Michael Vick.

he was the outlier, the exception not the rule 

so Baker Mayfield is not a safe top 5 pick according to stats but I would pull the trigger on him in the first 

Drew Brees is one of the greatest QBs ever, he changed the game. He is easily worth a #1 pick but he is also an anomaly 

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well there is stats behind it.

Over a century of football there has been ample time to see what the prototype QB looks like... just like the Prototype 3 technique

If you are drafting top 5 you can't miss... and the fact is that no QB under 6'2 has been drafted in the top 5 in the last 20 years and been successful besides Michael Vick.

he was the outlier, the exception not the rule 

so Baker Mayfield is not a safe top 5 pick according to stats but I would pull the trigger on him in the first 

Drew Brees is one of the greatest QBs ever, he changed the game. He is easily worth a #1 pick but he is also an anomaly 

You're right and people much smarter than me have studied this until their eyes bleed but maybe, just maybe they shouldn't put so much stock into a couple of inches in height. I don't mean comparing a QB that's 5'10" to a QB that's 6'5". I mean is there really that much difference between a 6'1" QB like Mayfield and any other QB that's 6'3" or taller? At what height does it no longer matter?

1 hour ago, Dunkirk Don said:

No soup for you  you are off my response list and stop pm me

Heck ya.  Most of the scouts wanted juju not jones.  Overruled

The scouts who got fired the next day? They don’t set the draft board, Whaley and Monos did. McD ran the draft and surely preferred Zay. But, so did Beane. Or at least he didn’t prefer juju. Because he was there when Carolina picked, and he took Curtis Samuel. He may well have preferred Zay over both, since Buffalo traded above them to take him and the Panthers had scouted him heavily leaning up to the draft.

So,who exactly currently  working at OBD is mad that they got overruled? The guys who are no longer there, or the guys who weren’t there yet? It makes no sense that it would be either group.

Edited by YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

Just like Dunkirk Don HAHAHAHA

I'll bet McDermott doesn't threaten to close the locker room and go away every day, though.

Or maybe he does...wait a minute, what if Dunkirk Don IS McDermott?  :huh:

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The scouts who got fired the next day? They don’t set the draft board, Whaley and Monos did. McD ran the draft and surely preferred Zay. But, so did Beane. Or at least he didn’t prefer juju. Because he was there when Carolina picked, and he took Curtis Samuel.

so, who exactly currently  working at OBD is mad that they got overruled? The guys no longer there or the guys who weren’t there yet? It makes no sense that it would be either group.

I believe Dunkirk Don's response to this is: UNBELIEVER!  KILL THE HERETIC!

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

I'll bet McDermott doesn't threaten to close the locker room and go away every day, though.

Or maybe he does...wait a minute, what if Dunkirk Don IS McDermott?  :huh:

He could be. He uses "we" and "our" and awful lot

1 minute ago, RobH063 said:

You're right and people much smarter than me have studied this until their eyes bleed but maybe, just maybe they shouldn't put so much stock into a couple of inches in height. I don't mean comparing a QB that's 5'10" to a QB that's 6'5". I mean is there really that much difference between a 6'1" QB like Mayfield and any other QB that's 6'3" or taller? At what height does it no longer matter?

You are correct and I have adjusted my way of looking at players over the years

I have asked myself that dozens of times... what's the difference between Baker at 6'0 and Derek Carr at 6'3... is it that substantial?

i have came to the conclusion it all comes down to the individual and how he sees the field...

You can be 6'5 and not be able to process it 

or

you can be 6'0 like Baker or Brees and be able  to see it and process it 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

He could be. He uses "we" and "our" and awful lot

He also refers to himself in the 3rd person. So he suffers from multiple personality disorder or he's just a douchebag. Which do you think it is?

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Dunkirk Don does seem like the kind of guy who would keep playing Tolbert, just to prove that yes, he does know more than everyone else.

I was just sure he was going to pick up that 2nd and 25, if everyone else left for halftime or the plane ride home. In fact, he’d probably be approaching the goal line now! 

25 minutes ago, H2o said:

He also refers to himself in the 3rd person. So he suffers from multiple personality disorder or he's just a douchebag. Which do you think it is?

Don seems to be a suffering pathalogical liar. And a douchebag. He exhibits all the signs of both.

He needs mental help ASAP. He has backed himself into too many corners. Actually he did that on his 1st. post.

What is truly amazing is the (shrinking) number of people that still buy his schtick. A very entertaining thread

though. A true holiday gift That keeps on giving.