Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi thread

Just Jack

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

Is this the final star wars? Or are the new ones a trilogy? 

Force Awakens was officially Episode 7, this is 8, and episode 9 will be in 2019. It's part of a new Trilogy but still directly following the original movies.

But like BillsEnthusiast said, they are doing stand alone stories like Rogue One for the years in between. Next year will be the Han Solo stand alone film, and 2020 will have another one (speculated to be an Obi-Wan film with Ewan McGregor reprising his role).

One more "but," Disney apparently LOVED Rian Johnson's job with The Last Jedi (this movie) so much, they just announced they're handing him the reigns to make a 100% completely new trilogy set in an entirely different part of the galaxy and unrelated to any of the previous movies. From the Original Trilogy to the prequels and now to this new trilogy, they've all been connected to the Skywalkers and the battle between Jedi & Sith. What Rian Johnson was given was complete freedom to go his own route, completely unrelated to any of those aspects, and offer us a completely different story from another corner of the galaxy.

But there's no announcement on when writing or casting will begin on those, and it may not be for several years down the line.

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

Just got back from 3D IMAX, big thumbs up, very entertaining, especially the last hour or so.

I wish I could see it in IMAX 3D, but all the showings in my area were booked for days. I don't trust the internet to keep from spoiling me for that long, so I NEEDED to see it opening night or just accept everything of importance would be let out before I even had a chance to see it lol

24 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I have read on other forums that those who saw it already thought it was really disappointing and possibly the worst of all them to date!

I will still go see it anyway.

Whoa... So far I haven't yet heard anything negative about the movie. The worst opinions I could find only said there were some big reveals that could be polarizing, & the Finn/Rose plotline is not as good as the rest of the movie. Hmmm...can't please everyone I guess

42 minutes ago, Rico said:

Just got back from 3D IMAX, big thumbs up, very entertaining, especially the last hour or so.

Just got back too, Can you believe that ending, when Captain Kirk shows up with the enterprise and saves the day? WOW

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Force Awakens was officially Episode 7, this is 8, and episode 9 will be in 2019. It's part of a new Trilogy but still directly following the original movies.

But like BillsEnthusiast said, they are doing stand alone stories like Rogue One for the years in between. Next year will be the Han Solo stand alone film, and 2020 will have another one (speculated to be an Obi-Wan film with Ewan McGregor reprising his role).

One more "but," Disney apparently LOVED Rian Johnson's job with The Last Jedi (this movie) so much, they just announced they're handing him the reigns to make a 100% completely new trilogy set in an entirely different part of the galaxy and unrelated to any of the previous movies. From the Original Trilogy to the prequels and now to this new trilogy, they've all been connected to the Skywalkers and the battle between Jedi & Sith. What Rian Johnson was given was complete freedom to go his own route, completely unrelated to any of those aspects, and offer us a completely different story from another corner of the galaxy.

But there's no announcement on when writing or casting will begin on those, and it may not be for several years down the line.

I thought the 3rd stand alone was a Bobba Fett origin story, similar to the Han Solo one next year

10 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Whoa... So far I haven't yet heard anything negative about the movie. The worst opinions I could find only said there were some big reveals that could be polarizing, & the Finn/Rose plotline is not as good as the rest of the movie. Hmmm...can't please everyone I guess

Well I just read some spoilers and it seems most of the fanboys are upset because some things didn't play out the way they wanted them to. Me, I just want to be entertained, and I've had a lot more fun with VII, VIII, and Rogue One than I had with the crappy I thru III.

Star Wars is still my fav, because I was a freshman in college that year & saw it a ton... Empire still the best.

Edited by Rico

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Well I just read some spoilers and it seems most of the fanboys are upset because some things didn't play out the way they wanted them to. Me, I just want to be entertained, and I've had a lot more fun with VII, VIII, and Rogue One than I had with the crappy I thru III.

Star Wars is still my fav, because I was a freshman in college that year & saw it a ton... Empire still the best.

Almost everyone always says ESB is the best.  That used to be one of my favorites but I really think Rogue One stands on its own as hand's down the best of the lot.  Like it was actually a good movie.

These Star Wars movies are NOT good films, if you get right down to it.

Which is funny, b/c I'm a huge fan and they must be the most successful movie franchise in history.  And they seem to enjoy universal appeal all over the planet.

But be honest, they really aren't very good films.  "Rebel scum."

LOL

The Last Jedi still fails to capture the magic of the original three.

I cant rank the originals, but i love them all.

i think phantom menace is the next best, with 5th being rogue one.

back to the last jedi.

i'd watch it a second time. ill never watch the force awakens again. that movie is straight up crap.

i think TLJ its better than TFA, but idk by how much.

I thought it was a pretty poor Star Wars movie to be honest.  Im not that hard to please either, I think people are way too harsh on I-III.  

I think I still need to let it settle in.  I didn't hate it, and really liked and enjoyed certain things.  Lots I didn't like, some sloppiness/laziness in writing IMO.  I really am not at a point where I'm in huge anticipation of IX.

8 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Almost everyone always says ESB is the best.  That used to be one of my favorites but I really think Rogue One stands on its own as hand's down the best of the lot.  Like it was actually a good movie.

These Star Wars movies are NOT good films, if you get right down to it.

Which is funny, b/c I'm a huge fan and they must be the most successful movie franchise in history.  And they seem to enjoy universal appeal all over the planet.

But be honest, they really aren't very good films.  "Rebel scum."

LOL

They definitely aren't "Oscar worthy masterpieces of film" but it depends on what you feel are "good movies". Most of the Oscar movies aren't good when it comes to entertainment value, but we are told they are great because of the acting or cinematography. These films are good cause they are entertaining, even if the acting might not be the best or the writing isn't top notch. They are never supposed to be academy award winners

I thought this one and the force awakens were good. I did notice last night that the last jedi seemed to have a lot more attempts at humor and jokes then I can remember in the others which might be the work of Disney. Otherwise I was entertained, not bored and would watch it again.

Some of it too, like the Marvel movies, I was never huge into comic books or the written stories/books of My of the characters so I don't get angered because some character was portrayed different then the books, or they shouldn't have been killed off so quickly. (I didn't get angry watching Iron man 3 because of how they portrayed the Mandarin). I find that helps sometimes.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the 1st half of the movie.  Pretty sloppy storylines IMO.

But the second half took off.  Fantastic second half. I certainly left excited for episode 9.

I like a good 2+ hour movie, but this one could have easily been edited down to 90 minutes and made it great.  I thought there was just too much fluff and wasted time in general, especially in the first half.  They bogged down the story they wanted to tell with a bunch of crappy side stories.

Edited by Joe Miner

9 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

back to the last jedi.

i'd watch it a second time. ill never watch the force awakens again. that movie is straight up crap.

what for real? 

For me its

ESB

ROJ

RO

ANH
ROTS

FA
PM

AOC. <<<- "lets see how much stuff we can throw on the screen"

I loved it!

Yes there is a lot going on in this movie, probably too much.

I agree with apuszczalowski, the attempts at humor was a bit forced, but that could be Disney & Kathleen Kennedy doing that.

This movie has more depth than "The Force Awakens". I don't pay any attention to what the fanboys say. All they do is talk about what they would have done if they had made this movie. Well I'm sorry, but  you didn't make this movie, grow up and get over yourselves.

I agree with everyone that the last hour is very thrilling. There was concern that since "The Force Awakens" was just a remake of "A New Hope", that "The Last Jedi" would be a remake of "The Empire Strikes Back". I can honestly say, that is not the case.

Great job by Rian Johnson, and I really liked Benicio Del Toro's character in this movie. Looking forward to Episode IX.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

back to the last jedi.

Phantom Menaces being the best? What?

And how do you just pick Rogue One as 5th without ranking the others?

I really enjoyed Last Jedi! I was pretty confused about some of the stuff that ended up happening, but I'm sure I'll find out more about it later.

18 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Phantom Menaces being the best? What?

And how do you just pick Rogue One as 5th without ranking the others?

I really enjoyed Last Jedi! I was pretty confused about some of the stuff that ended up happening, but I'm sure I'll find out more about it later.

Idk how to rank the original trilogy, they could all be 1-3.

i put phantom menace 4. Why? Because I think Liam neeson plays a strong lead, we don't have to deal with anakins crappy lines, and because maul, I think, was the best villain of the prequels. The lightsaber duel is awesome in that movie.