Does the D line need a complete rebuild also?

Socal-805

Yes. It's the core of the defense and right now it's pretty average and will only get worse when Kyle Williams retires.

I would go DT in the first round and DE in the second round (assuming the other first round pick is for QB).

The DL means nothing until they get a QB. :rolleyes:

All joking aside, the whole front 7 needs a makeover. I would put Matt Milano as the most likely starter in 2018. I think that Hughes will be back but maybe not. Shaq probably starts but isn’t a difference maker. Kyle may retire. The guys next to him are just guys. Humber and Brown are free agents. There is a lot of work to do in the front 7.

• Like (+1) 1

sign Star L in free agency

if we dont trade up draft Wilkins/Hurst in the draft

I like vea but with star hes kinda redundant and would like more of a pass rusher 

Lawson can develop and hughes will still be serviceable 

depth will be Cedric/Washington/Eddie and Davis

LB will still be an issue Id start Milano and draft Jefferson/Smith (again barring trade up)

Edited by WMDman

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Kyle may retire. The guys next to him are just guys. Humber and Brown are free agents. There is a lot of work to do in the front 7.

Hopefully Kyle retires.  Glad he is a Bill, but doesn't seem like there is a lot left in the tank.

Preston Brown should be back, at least for depth, assuming we get an upgrade...no?

Humber is so-so.  If he walks, so be it.

They'll need a much better pass rush and more mobile LBs if they're going to run McD's defense.  The DT rotation is uninspiring.

At the same time, they've already made over the secondary in their first off-season. I'd be concerned with putting more resources into the defense when, after the obvious need at QB, they could use help at guard, and WR.

They'll need every one of those 5 top-100 picks.

30 minutes ago, vincec said:

Yes. It's the core of the defense and right now it's pretty average and will only get worse when Kyle Williams retires.

I would go DT in the first round and DE in the second round (assuming the other first round pick is for QB).

I think it’s gonna take both 1st’s -and maybe more-to land the QB of choice. Before any other position is addressed, we must have a QB. FA for D, Draft for O.

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What's the point of a good DT if there is no one to throw him open?

Not to mention the DTs need even better ball placement. What's the sense of checking down to a DT in the flat if the ball doesn't lead him? Those 10 yard gains will easily become 3 yard gains.

;)

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

At this point we have 1 DT and 3 DEs under contract in 2018. Rebuild seems kind of inevitable, even if some of the depth is re-signed.

Either an edge rusher or a good pass rushing DT to push the pocket is an absolute must.  Both will make a lawson/hughes/washington look a lot better stat wise.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A need, but not a need for a complete re-build.  Lawson and Hughes will be fine, IMO.  Lawson hasn’t been good as a pass rusher, but he has been solid against the run.  Give him time...certainly not time for the “bust” conversation.

Their greatest need on the d-line, IMO, is a run stuffing NT/DT (1 tech/3 tech) such as Vita Vea or Reginald McKenzie.

....any chance of or is a guy like Panthers' Lotulelei worth chasing as a UFA?........

• Like (+1) 1