How would the Bills have done with Josh McCown this season?

The 9 Isles

Just thinking about how relatively well McCown has done for the Jets this year. He is AFC player of the week this week. 

If TT had been picked up by someone else last off season and we picked up McCown as a place holder I think we would be sitting in one of the wild card spots right now. 

It"s just a thought. I ready for all the aggressive flames coming my way.

McCown - 2017
Comp - 67.8
Yards - 2,880
TD - 18
Int -  8
Qbr - 96.7

Taylor -      2017
Comp - 63.2
Yards - 2,090
TD - 12
Int - 4
Qb r- 88.6

Not a huge difference in passing stats but that does not tell the whole story as everyone knows. This team seems to always bring out the woulda, coulda, shoulda’s. Oh well, maybe we finally get QB this draft. We’ll see. 

• Like (+1) 1

He has played better than Tyrod but he isn't great.  It is why I hate the rush to judge QBs just on their most recent season.  I actually think the Colin Cowherd theory of once a QB has played in their league for 5 years then throw out their best year and throw out their worst year what you are left with is probably what they are.  

Just now, GunnerBill said:

He has played better than Tyrod but he isn't great.  It is why I hate the rush to judge QBs just on their most recent season.  I actually think the Colin Cowherd theory of once a QB has played in their league for 5 years then throw out their best year and throw out their worst year what you are left with is probably what they are.  

Would have been nice to have McCown against the Chargers. B-)

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I also think you said Jay Cutler wsa awesome.

Lol sounds about right. Everyone loves to call out people when they are right the one time, but no one ever admits the 5 times they are wrong. (Or at least very rarely)

Edited by billsfan11

mccown plays for different team...different coaches...different scheme philosophy.........nobody knows how we would be doing if he played for the bills and this system......i think the only sure things regarding QB's are guys named Brady, Brees, Rodgers....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The 9 Isles said:

Just thinking about how relatively well McCown has done for the Jets this year. He is AFC player of the week this week. 

If TT had been picked up by someone else last off season and we picked up McCown as a place holder I think we would be sitting in one of the wild card spots right now. 

McCown - 2017
Comp - 67.8
Yards - 2,880
TD - 18
Int -  8
Qbr - 96.7

Taylor -      2017
Comp - 63.2
Yards - 2,090
TD - 12
Int - 4
Qb r- 88.6

Not a huge difference in passing stats but that does not tell the whole story as everyone knows. This team seems to always bring out the woulda, coulda, shoulda’s. Oh well, maybe we finally get QB this draft. We’ll see. 

I think this is fair and I would say the Bills are 7-5 not 6-6. However Taylor in the ATL/DEN game did some plays to stay in the pocket that McCown just isn't doing because he doesn't have the mobility. So I think the Bills probably win CIN/NYJ but flip ATL back which means their AFC conference record is even better.

The fun thing with McCown is the Bills actually wanted him first over Taylor in 2015 and he chose CLE lol. It is very possible the drought mayyyy have ended sooner with McCown in 15 or 16 just because he can pass decently and move the ball pretty well.

1 hour ago, The 9 Isles said:

McCown - 2017
Comp - 67.8
Yards - 2,880
TD - 18
Int -  8
Qbr - 96.7

Taylor -      2017
Comp - 63.2
Yards - 2,090
TD - 12
Int - 4
Qb r- 88.6

800 yards more passing and 6 more TDs at the price of 4 more picks.  

Probably the same thing Kyle Orton did when Marrone was coach.  If had had a half-competent quarterback, we would be 9-7 / 10-6 at the end of the season, probably be in the playoffs.  Right now I think we finish 7-9 or 8-8.  So, on average, 1.5 more wins.  I still think we get blown out by the Saints.  We would have at least been competitive against the Chargers.  Probably still split with the Jets.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I also think you said Jay Cutler wsa awesome.

5-5 on a bad Dolphins team.

And he still hasn't played the Bills yet.  Watch out my dude.

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

Lol sounds about right. Everyone loves to call out people when they are right the one time, but no one ever admits the 5 times they are wrong. (Or at least very rarely)

Jay Cutler IS awesome.

Sorry.