• Announcements

• SDS

Problems logging in?   11/05/2017

I know a few people are getting logged out too quickly. I don't have the answer to that yet.   However, one change that occurred is that there is no longer a log in name and a separate display name. The upgrade discarded the log in name and now uses the display name. So, to log in:   Username: <display name> Password: <your password>   If you need to contact me to find out what your display name is use: Contact Us  and we can get things sorted out.
Sign in to follow this  
Buffalo30

Trading down in the draft?

32 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...remember the Cowgirls picking TWO in the 1st of 1989 draft?.....Aikman at #1 and Walsh at I think #33 (supplemental pick)......they were referred to as " 1 and 1a"......

... and then the Cowboys traded Walsh to NO for a #1 and #3 in 1991 plus a #2 in 1992.

It's kind of hard to figure out who they took with those picks without a detailed draft history, but in 1991, they drafted Russell Maryland, Alvin Harper, and Kelvin Pritchett in the first round, and then took Erik Williams (the most dominating RT I've ever watch) and James Richard in the third round. Pritchett never played for Dallas: they traded him that same day for Detroit's picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round! In the second round in 1992, they took Jimmy Smith and Darren Woodson, both HOF-caliber players. 

I swear what is it with this fanbase and the QB position to consistently marginslize it and want to pass year after year 

22 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

... and then the Cowboys traded Walsh to NO for a #1 and #3 in 1991 plus a #2 in 1992.

It's kind of hard to figure out who they took with those picks without a detailed draft history, but in 1991, they drafted Russell Maryland, Alvin Harper, and Kelvin Pritchett in the first round, and then took Erik Williams (the most dominating RT I've ever watch) and James Richard in the third round. Pritchett never played for Dallas: they traded him that same day for Detroit's picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round! In the second round in 1992, they took Jimmy Smith and Darren Woodson, both HOF-caliber players. 

...if I remember correctly by rule, they would lose #1 in 1991 because of the Walsh supplemental so they recouped it with NO.....their whole draft sequence under JJ was probably one of the most fluent periods in NFL Draft History....so you can build through the draft.....as a side note, the '09 Steelers SB club had 19 of 22 starters acquired through the draft....so we need to be smart as hell with our excellent draft capital in 2018........ask Dan Snyder how his King's Ransom Giveaway worked for RG II 1/8............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

On 12/5/2017 at 7:07 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Or...just maybe...they could spend less time on the phones trying to convince other teams to trade up and down, and instead spend more time on actually scouting the true potential of the players that they'll eventually select!  No, wait a minute.  These are the Buffalo Bills and we all that they're WAY smarter than the other 31 Teams.

Worst post I’ve read in days.  You’re saying all 31 teams allocate zero man hours to making phone calls?  Or is that just the succesful teams?  Sure looks that what you just implied.  Maybe I’m missing the sarcasm somewhere in there.  Are you saying that you want Beane to just scout and not call any other teams to see if they can swing a trade? Mind blowing.

Just now, NewEra said:

Worst post I’ve read in days.  You’re saying all 31 teams allocate zero man hours to making phone calls?  Or is that just the succesful teams?  Sure looks that what you just implied.  Maybe I’m missing the sarcasm somewhere in there.  Are you saying that you want Beane to just scout and not call any other teams to see if they can swing a trade? Mind blowing.

....look at the staff Pegula allowed Beane to assemble AT HIS EXPENSE.......chucked full of former VP's of Player Personnel and Directors of Pro Player Personnel (yup the pundits here will say they couldn't find work elsewhere)......think for one damn minute Pegula doesn't expect them to be traversing the country 24/7 as the ultimate draft day prep?.....I sure as hell would be expecting results for my capital outlay (and yes the draft is not and never will be an exact science)....

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....look at the staff Pegula allowed Beane to assemble AT HIS EXPENSE.......chucked full of former VP's of Player Personnel and Directors of Pro Player Personnel (yup the pundits here will say they couldn't find work elsewhere)......think for one damn minute Pegula doesn't expect them to be traversing the country 24/7 as the ultimate draft day prep?.....I sure as hell would be expecting results for my capital outlay (and yes the draft is not and never will be an exact science)....

Sorry, but i’m Not sure what that has to do with what my post.  I replied to a post that (imo), was suggesting something along the lines of Beane should be scouting more and making phone calls less.  Maybe I misunderstood what he was trying to get across.  

The guys he hired are all out there scouting. Beane is scouting.  He also has a cell phone. Just the every other GM in the league.  In fact, they have multiple cell phones.  It’s not hard to scout AND make phone calls.  

Looking at the standings now 5 of the 8 teams picking upfront will likely be looking for a QB.  So, it might be hard to trade up far enough to get the guy they want.  

If they are going to trade forward they will need to feel its a sure thing.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Sorry, but i’m Not sure what that has to do with what my post.  I replied to a post that (imo), was suggesting something along the lines of Beane should be scouting more and making phone calls less.  Maybe I misunderstood what he was trying to get across.  

The guys he hired are all out there scouting. Beane is scouting.  He also has a cell phone. Just the every other GM in the league.  In fact, they have multiple cell phones.  It’s not hard to scout AND make phone calls.  

...my apology for the confusion bud....think we are in TOTAL agreement that Beane has his staff pounding the pavement 24/7 versus desk jobs solely on the phone....hope we're good....

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...my apology for the confusion bud....think we are in TOTAL agreement that Beane has his staff pounding the pavement 24/7 versus desk jobs solely on the phone....hope we're good....

Word.  Yessir.  All good in the hood.