Snow tires (studs or none or all weather)?

mead107

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

What are snow tires?  :huh:

Winter performance tires.

All-Season are good... But really the best for Winter and colder temps is a winter performance tire.  Below 50 degrees, the softer compound is so much better.

The 4x4 Tacoma and TJ have all terrain.  The BMW (xDrive) has All-Seasons. Cooper S (F-56)... Summer tires on 18" rims, Bridgestone Blizzaks winter performance on 16" wheels... Those go on from Thanksgiving to Tax Day.

Since the Cooper S is two wheel... I also carry a set of "snow socks" in winter.  They are recognized as "chains" in places like California and Colorado when enforcing the chain laws:

Read this mead:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2016/01/snow-traction-when-you-need-it/index.htm

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Never had snow tires. Never been stuck in the snow.  Mud yes, snow no.

We were in Squaw two years ago... We rented a 4x4 with All-Seasons... We stopped in Sacramento to get chains, since rentals won't give them to you.  CalTran was definitely checking once we got up into the Sierras... Chain laws invoked.  Since we were in a 4x4 with M+S rated tires, we didn't have to chain up.  I returned them to AutoZone on the way back to Frisco.

No way were we going to be denied... Only way denied was if they closed I-80.

Last year in Colorado, same thing... I made sure to get  a Ram 2500 4x4... But snow was not that bad, no chain laws invoked.

My kid is in Iowa with the Cooper S... If he heads to New Mexico (Taos) this February, he should be all set.  

I highly recommend the "snow socks" for the vehicles that don't take chains well.  At least you're carrying them, and with a 2x4, they may make you chain up over certain passes (like the I-80 Donner Pass).

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

3 hours ago, mead107 said:

4 wheel drive no studs.   On my truck 

Whatdo you do? 

How far south are you? 

Check states that allow studs.  Illinois banned studs years ago.

If you have M+S All Terrain or All-Seasons you will be fine.  M+S should be imprinted on sidewall.  Even better if the little mountain and snowflake is imprinted also.

3 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The best winter tires are Nokian Hakkapelliitas.  Studded or unstudded.  You're welcome.

When do those come off for You up there?

August 1st to August 30th?

;):D

Heck, year 'round probably could utilize the benefit of the softer compounds in a winter tire.  Being serious. Below 50 is where you really see the difference! The Blizzaks I am running are phenomenal in the winter on ice and chewing through big BFLo snow... Even in such a low sports car.

Oh mead... Read the comments in that link I posted above... May be helpful.  Some seem to have right message, idea:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2016/01/snow-traction-when-you-need-it/index.htm

And notice the performance chart.  All-Seasons do well.  Winter tires much better.  It isn't just snow, it's the cold.  Notice, the snow socks bring the All-Seasons to where the winter tires perform at.

On 12/5/2017 at 9:30 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

All-Season are good... But really the best for Winter and colder temps is a winter performance tire.  Below 50 degrees, the softer compound is so much better.

The 4x4 Tacoma and TJ have all terrain.  The BMW (xDrive) has All-Seasons. Cooper S (F-56)... Summer tires on 18" rims, Bridgestone Blizzaks winter performance on 16" wheels... Those go on from Thanksgiving to Tax Day.

Since the Cooper S is two wheel... I also carry a set of "snow socks" in winter.  They are recognized as "chains" in places like California and Colorado when enforcing the chain laws:

Read this mead:

You make that much !@#$ing money operating a !@#$ing drawbridge???

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

You make that much !@#$ing money operating a !@#$ing drawbridge???

Trust me, I know snow tires.  I'm from BFLo.

You're gonna get a novel.  Sit down, if you want to read the lecture. And no, I am NOT at work.:D I have been working shift for 3 decades, there are days/nights I simply don't sleep.

Give%20em%20both%20Barrels.jpg

To answer your question: Yep.  Hard to believe.  Operating engineers and ditch diggers get paid well.  You were in the Navy... Didn't you have the Seabees?

"The difficult we can do now, the impossible takes a little longer." ~Seabees motto

A 60 day lock (your words: "drawbridge") closure costs the national economy 18 million dollars. That's $300,000/day worth of business that's not getting to market if closed... The Salt that needs to go on roads, grain for food and ethanol, coal for electricity & the steel for manufacturing, oil for heating, and fuel for your vehicles... The list goes on.

:lol:I am a highly skilled button pusher, handle turner and paid fairly and decently by yours and my own federal tax dollars. I am even IMTS (Inland Marine Transportation System) certified... :PWho wants a schlep that FUBARs the machinery or worse, shuts down the infrastructure that never sleeps.

The least the DoD, Department of Army can do is to throw a little dough around and pay us well for working a 24/7/365 schedule.  Don't hate on me, hate the US Constitution if you feel the need.

After things are built, somebody has to operate and repair the heart of our nation's infrastructure while keeping the public safe from flooding, protect property damage, provide electricity, and sanitation.  Yep, that's all done by a "drawbridge" operator.:P

27-0899a.gif

Not everybody is lucky enough to be killing terrorists 24/7/365... Somebody has to stay back and keep things moving:

engineer122_keeps_em_moving_centerfold.j

I do have to say... It puts snow tires on my vehicles and gets me to the mountains every winter.  What more can a man want?

Essayons!

On 12/5/2017 at 9:30 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Read this mead:

Thank you for that link. Hubby was just talking about snow tires for my vehicle yesterday. I will pass that along to him.