Snow tires (studs or none or all weather)?

mead107

44 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

its regional.    I've heard from co-workers that lived in Cali  that people use chains and when they get to a certain elevation they are put on or taken off. 

Studs.  Not chains.

Studs usually stay on all winter.

Here in Illinois, studs have been banned forever... At least 30 years.. I never remember people using them here. So damn flat anyway... Who needs them, most all vehicles are FWD now too.

Studs do a hell of a damage to roads.  Just image 3 million idiots in Chicago using them.  Pot holes on steroids! Already gotta dodge the pot shots and bullets flying around.

1 hour ago, GG said:

I thought studs are restricted on many roads these days.

But absolutely yes to snow tires

Certain times of year, States.  I think NYS still allows them?  If I only had tool to look that up.;)

I think Wisconsin still allows them too... More hills and rural 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I have a Tacoma 4x4 with BFG A/T tires.  A little more expensive than the average tire, but I love them.  Great in snow and rain.

I live in the DC area, so no need for studded tires; don't have the terrain that would require them.

When I lived in WNY and had a rear-wheel drive car, I put snow tires on in the winter.

Now I live in the Midwest, where it's much colder but less snowy, and I have a front-wheel drive car, so all-season tires work fine. Even when we get significant snowfalls (or when we visit WNY in the winter), the all-seasons and FWD do the job.

Used to just run all seasons through winter in WNY.

First time I tried real snow tires I was sold.   Remarkable difference in traction.   

No studs.

I swear by them now and won't go without them anymore during winter months.    Not brand loyal.   I let the guys at Dunn tire recommend a couple choices for me.   Then I pick one based on price and their opinion of which one is the smarter buy.  

On 12/5/2017 at 8:47 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Check states that allow studs.  Illinois banned studs years ago.

If you have M+S All Terrain or All-Seasons you will be fine.  M+S should be imprinted on sidewall.  Even better if the little mountain and snowflake is imprinted also.

When do those come off for You up there?

August 1st to August 30th?

;):D

Heck, year 'round probably could utilize the benefit of the softer compounds in a winter tire.  Being serious. Below 50 is where you really see the difference! The Blizzaks I am running are phenomenal in the winter on ice and chewing through big BFLo snow... Even in such a low sports car.

September 15th to May 1st.  Though they generally go on much later and come off much earlier.   The stud are needed probably 10 or so days a year,  or whenever you're not being conscientious.  

Oh:

Thinking about the game yesterday.  The best snow tires are high profile and skinny/NARROW.  You want the tire tread to break down to the pavement, don't want a lot of tread area.  Opposite a snowshoe.  I know, sounds counter to what may be needed.  Don't want to be on top of snow.  You want to be on pavement.  

You see people all the time put big fat tires on their vehicles, this is good for sand where you need flotation or where there is no road underneath the vehicle.  If there is a road, or firm ground underneath, tall, skinny tires are way to go for snow.

Think of those old Model T's and how they could go through anything.  Big fat tires look sexy, but terrible in snow.  You need your tire tread to reach to that pavement with a nice agressive snow tread.  Softer rubber compound in the cold too... Like gummies to the road.

Tall/high profile (clearance) and skinny for snowy roads.  Wide and fat for sand.

On 12/5/2017 at 9:45 PM, Alaska Darin said:

The best winter tires are Nokian Hakkapelliitas.  Studded or unstudded.  You're welcome.

yes they are

On 12/7/2017 at 8:55 PM, Chef Jim said:

I'm confused.  Do people still put different tires on their cars in the winter?  Have I really been gone this long?  :huh:

yes to the different tires in the winter. Don't know how long you've been gone