Should Mc-Bean Pull a Whale-y of a Deal ??

T master

If they identify a can't miss franchise QB, then yes, definitely trade up.  I'm guessing its Rosen or Darnold.  They still have TT under contract next year.  Maybe they can package him in the deal, to save a pick, and send him to a team (Cleveland) that thinks they have what it takes to make TT a star.

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

You're right. At the same time I think they have already made the decision to try to use the extra first rounder (and extra second rounder) to move up as high as possible for a quarterback.

Then again, there's no guarantee that they will be able to do so.

I'm already anxious for late April. Should be fun!

Oh I'm with you I'm pumped. I'm really hoping we have the Coach and GM combo we have needed. Reguardless of whatever they do I will support it. I'm trying to stay positive about it all until it's impossible for me to do so.

I'm sure come draft time all the reservations I have now won't exist. I'll be clamoring for that QB with everyone.

Edited by Lfod

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

He's a great college QB, but he won't fare well in the NFL, in my opinion.

I've seen this script already with Manziel and Bobby Griffin.  Little cocky, arrogant guys who divide locker rooms and fold the moment things start getting tough.

Mayfield is not a leader of MEN.  He's short, has little hands and is immature.  A recipe for disaster at the NFL level.

you got something against short people? 

:lol:

that-feeling-when-someone-makes-fun-of-y

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jobot said:

The Bills actually have 'too many' draft picks next year to realistically sign so many rookies.  So I definitely expect some sort of wheeling and dealing.  It will definitively continue to support another exciting off-season in Buffalo.

Disagree.  That is not the case.  But, I could be wrong.  Why do you think we have too many draft picks to realistically sign?

I think there are two basic options.  One is to put all the chips needed to get to draft 1, 2, or 3, and grab one of the top prospects.  Half the guys in that category never make it, particularly when they land on a team with a bad o-line, no WRs, a feisty but lightweight defense, and an aging superstar at RB.

The other option is to draft two linemen on both sides, a starting LB, and a starting WR.  And bring in one of the soon-to-be-available FA QBs either to start or to mentor Peterman, if Peterman gets his legs under him. 

Which option is more likely to get the Bills to the playoffs?  The second one.  Which one is more likely to get the Bills to the SB?  Neither one, for the time being. They won't get to the SB until they can get a home playoff game, and Brady is going to keep playing a few more years at least.

Edited by Utah John
clarification

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

I dont see buffalo having 2 top 20 picks to go along with 2 second rd picks again anytime soon.  They have plenty of ammo to move up. 

Just wait until Beane trades them both down or away and stock piles 3 1st round picks for 2019. That would keep this place busy all year. ;)

3 hours ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

I'm ok with a package of two picks to move up, but no more than that. We still have a lot of holes to fill starting with both lines.

Good luck with that. It will take more than 2 picks to move into the top 2-3.

1 hour ago, KGun12TD said:

All the good teams have one thing in common: A Good if not great QB. Geez, how much longer should we debate this. We need a Flipping QB. UGH! Who cares if he's a bust. Try and try and try again...

THIS. Everyone needs to stop thinking we can always get a great QB next year. Last year everyone was saying there really wasn't top end talent in the draft and this year would be great. Now we've passed on Deshaun Watson and I'm supposed to believe that all of a sudden all the hype for this year's QB class was wrong? Not buying it. 

1 hour ago, ROONDOGG55 said:

I'd like to see us draft a top tier QB, but would hate to see us mortgage a draft for one. We should be more interested in signing a vet QB to lead our offense next season, while we utilize all of our picks to gather a plethora of talent. Who knows how the draft will fall. The QB they covet the most may fall to them without having to trade up. Let the guy sit behind one of the several vet QBs that will be available this offseason. We should have a choice between Kirk Cousins, Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, Derek Anderson, Case Keenum, Josh McCown, Matt Moore, Teddy Bridgewater, Jimmy Garappolo, Drew Brees or Chase Daniel. I'd be comfortable with either one of those guys with several filling our QB needs for years to come. This offseason will be very interesting. I think our GM and coach will go after a top tier FA QB, and make a hard push for Kirk Cousins if he becomes a FA. If not, we will try for Alex Smith and draft the QB they like the most.

Same short-sighted compromising mentality that has had the Bills in the cellar for years. Let me introduce you to Kyle Orton.

1 hour ago, rodneykm said:

I personally don't see a franchise guy coming out of this draft at QB. If its me, I'm keeping the picks and filling in some other holes in the team. Taylor will not be in Buffalo next year so you're looking at Nathan Peterman as your starter though. Obviously not ideal ( at least not yet ). I'd have to sign a stop gap guy ( Alex Smith / Sam Bradford ) or go full bore on Cousins. I believe with even an average QB at the helm, right now, we are a legit playoff team. While I really like Tyrod, I dont believe he's the right fit for this offense. 

This is beyond a pipe dream. We are not a playoff caliber team who are just a QB away from being good. The vets you named are washed up and Peterman is not an NFL QB. 

1 hour ago, ROONDOGG55 said:

I'd like to see us draft a top tier QB, but would hate to see us mortgage a draft for one. We should be more interested in signing a vet QB to lead our offense next season, while we utilize all of our picks to gather a plethora of talent. Who knows how the draft will fall. The QB they covet the most may fall to them without having to trade up. Let the guy sit behind one of the several vet QBs that will be available this offseason. We should have a choice between Kirk Cousins, Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, Derek Anderson, Case Keenum, Josh McCown, Matt Moore, Teddy Bridgewater, Jimmy Garappolo, Drew Brees or Chase Daniel. I'd be comfortable with either one of those guys with several filling our QB needs for years to come. This offseason will be very interesting. I think our GM and coach will go after a top tier FA QB, and make a hard push for Kirk Cousins if he becomes a FA. If not, we will try for Alex Smith and draft the QB they like the most.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

keep passing on qb ONLY if you enjoy 17 year playoff droughts.

3 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I say trade a 3rd for Kirk Cousins and be done with it.  The Redskins want compensation and don't see him as a legit option.  I think we our 11 man philosophy it would be perfect.

i don't think a 3rd would do it, but then again i can't speculate what would. imagine if we had to give up say next year's first...get him signed and then still have all our picks this year...i would have an accidental personal protein spill...

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Just wait until Beane trades them both down or away and stock piles 3 1st round picks for 2019. That would keep this place busy all year. ;)

You say this as a joke but I could see it happening. Not that I think it's very likely. If I couldn't get the guy I absolutely wanted I could see repositioning to next year to absolutely be able to get who ever they want. It all depends on mindset of this new staff. Do they feel pressured to win now or not.

If I was a GM in his position I would only put my career on the line and trade up for the person I want. I wouldn't settle for the next best.

People pounding the table for a QB in a year that I keep hearing we can't grab one of the top 2 guys. I don't like that mindset. If the GM picks a bust like E.j. Manuel he's done for, it would only be a matter of time.

I want the #1 or #2 guy or I wouldn't sacrifice my capital. That's just my mindset. I would be picking the face of the franchise and the guy all the fans put hopes and dreams into. I absolutely could not except failure on a trade up let alone my high picks in general.

Its easy for people to say he needs to do what they want. They don't have to deal with the consequences of a failure. They just get the benefits if it works out.

Like I said many times. If you trade up to pick a QB you better strike gold. All the people who want a trade up are fickle and would turn on the GM faster then you can say bust. 

Edited by Lfod

3 hours ago, Jobot said:

I thought Cousin's isn't under contract after this year?  What would be the point?

That's why he would be available for a third.  The Redskins don't want him but they tried to trade him last year under the franchise tender.  They have his rights and if we want them a 3rd is a steal for his rights of course contingent on approval of a new contract.

16 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i don't think a 3rd would do it, but then again i can't speculate what would. imagine if we had to give up say next year's first...get him signed and then still have all our picks this year...i would have an accidental personal protein spill...

I would be curious to know what exactly was offered by the 49ers if anything last year.  We aren't trading for a player under contract rather a player that is playing under franchise.  If they don't franchise him (which I think is possible after doing it twice) they would get no compensation.

50 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Same short-sighted compromising mentality that has had the Bills in the cellar for years. Let me introduce you to Kyle Orton.

Not short sighted at all. We go after a young QB that can be our starter or draft a QB and let him sit behind Alex Smith. Both scenarios are for the now and future, which seems to be the moto around the Bills front office. I understand this is your opinion, but it's also not realistic to mortgage a whole draft for a QB when you have glaring holes all over. The Bills staff will try to sign a proven candidate or trade for one. Depending on the new guys age will determine if they draft a QB high or in the later rounds.

59 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:
2 hours ago, rodneykm said:

I personally don't see a franchise guy coming out of this draft at QB. If its me, I'm keeping the picks and filling in some other holes in the team. Taylor will not be in Buffalo next year so you're looking at Nathan Peterman as your starter though. Obviously not ideal ( at least not yet ). I'd have to sign a stop gap guy ( Alex Smith / Sam Bradford ) or go full bore on Cousins. I believe with even an average QB at the helm, right now, we are a legit playoff team. While I really like Tyrod, I dont believe he's the right fit for this offense. 

This is beyond a pipe dream. We are not a playoff caliber team who are just a QB away from being good. The vets you named are washed up and Peterman is not an NFL QB. 

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. We have 6 wins already with a below average QB. You switch Taylor with someone like Alex Smith and we make the playoffs. Are we a championship team? Probably not. But playoff team? You bet you damn ass we are. 

47 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

keep passing on qb ONLY if you enjoy 17 year playoff droughts.

Negatron ghost rider! Re-read what I wrote. My take is to not trade up and let the guy fall to us and groom him behind a vet QB that will start for us next season. Not passing, we are gonna draft a guy and let him learn before we throw him to the wolves.

1 minute ago, ROONDOGG55 said:

Negatron ghost rider! Re-read what I wrote. My take is to not trade up and let the guy fall to us and groom him behind a vet QB that will start for us next season. Not passing, we are gonna draft a guy and let him learn before we throw him to the wolves.

but why draft the fourth or fifth guy when you can have the first or second?

The main reason Doug Whaley isn't working in the NFL right now is the splashy moves.  That, and his insistence that EJM was a franchise QB when it was clear he wasn't.

Splash moves may sell tickets and generate hype, but they still aren't winning games.  

I don't doubt for one minute that McBeane know it's time to take a QB in the first round and will have a plan to do so. Whether it's the right plan is another story.

6 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

but why draft the fourth or fifth guy when you can have the first or second?

Alex Smith was the first QB taken overall and Aaron Rogers fell out of the top ten. Who would you rather have?

edit: It can also go both ways though. I remember when we went after Losman / Evans instead of trading up for Rothlisberger / Manning / Rivers. Nobody knew how they'd turn out, but we definitely missed out on three great QBs that are still playing well today. Either way, I'd hate for us to trade everything for a guy to only have him suck because we can't put talent around him. We could have gone broke picking up either one of them and failed to surround them with talent, tarnishing their careers. Hope we get our guy regardless though.

GO BILLS!

Edited by ROONDOGG55
Adding to comment