Would the Bills be in a better place if Marrone stayed?

T-Bomb

2 hours ago, T-Bomb said:

Do you think that might be because everyone else in the FO was an idiot?  Has that not been proven out?

Maybe Marrone saw that Pegula was going to keep Whaley and Brandon, and he just said, !@#$ it, I'm out of this joke show...  I mean, he made the decision to quit an NFL head

coaching job...  That has happened twice to the Bills recently.  WTF do you think that says about the organization?

Your point is well taken.

As I said, Marrone probably was "right" about most of the things with which he and Whaley disagreed (EJ, decision to trade up for Watkins, etc.) Still, Marrone's inability to play well with others proved to be counter-productive. The reported "St. Doug" references also betrayed a notion that Marrone felt that he was the ONLY reason that the team had any success -- not the players, scouts, GM, etc.

Whaley was far from perfect, but not everything he did was bad. Still, the poor relationship between GM and head coach was a two-way street -- and there is enough blame for both Marrone and Whaley for not working better together.

Also, the Mularkey situation was very different. Ralph and Marv clearly wanted to bring in another guy and instead of firing Mularkey (and paying for his remaining years on the contract), they imposed enough mandates/restrictions on him to provoke him to resign.

Edited by 2003Contenders

6 hours ago, teef said:

i have no idea where this comes from.

I have no idea why people think he would get another head coaching gig?

He had his chance in Detroit and failed. It's very rare that guys like that would get a second chance at a head coaching position in the NFL.

9 hours ago, cba fan said:

Pegs did offer him a 5 yr extension and was advised by Marrone he would get back to him . Pegs thought it was a done deal. Next day he resigned. Pegs was blindsided.

Marrone never requested changes to make his stay in Buffalo palatable for him.

Marrone was never happy in Buffalo. He needed to go.

It was my understanding he was requesting more power and changes to the organization hierarchy. I think Schefter or another insider reported that about the departure.  Pegulas offered him more money instead.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

Your point is well taken.

As I said, Marrone probably was "right" about most of the things with which he and Whaley disagreed (EJ, decision to trade up for Watkins, etc.) Still, Marrone's inability to play well with others proved to be counter-productive. The reported "St. Doug" references also betrayed a notion that Marrone felt that he was the ONLY reason that the team had any success -- not the players, scouts, GM, etc.

Whaley was far from perfect, but not everything he did was bad. Still, the poor relationship between GM and head coach was a two-way street -- and there is enough blame for both Marrone and Whaley for not working better together.

Also, the Mularkey situation was very different. Ralph and Marv clearly wanted to bring in another guy and instead of firing Mularkey (and paying for his remaining years on the contract), they imposed enough mandates/restrictions on him to provoke him to resign.

Most of the good coaches are the same way.  Bill Billiecheck or Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Jim Harbuagh are just to name a few.  That is the stereo typical profile of a Ceo or leader in any profession.  History has turned out in Marrone's favor.   Russel Brand not being a football guy.  Whaley having too much authority.  Then the personal decisions Ej down to trading up for Watkins.  Pegula was too new to make an informed decision on the front office or head coach.  Imo he was forced to choose and without the proper information he made the wrong one probably because Whaley and Brand were likable and Marrone was not.  That is why he looking for a football Czar.  He is not a football fan or lifer, he didnt understand the culture and have the ability to determine what good talent in the industry looks acts and feels like.   

All things considered I have a feeling we'd be at the same spot right now if Marrone was still around.  McDermott isn't really too different from Marrone to me.  The handclapping could be annoying but he appears to be far less abrasive. 

Marrone was better than Rex, if he's better than McDermott is TBD.  But wow there's actually some days thinking of Gailey, Marrone, and Rex that make want to apologize to Jauron.  Not that he didn't deserve to be fired but the hostility was a bit much considering all this that transpired afterwards. 

We would have benefitted to some degree simply by virtue of not changing regimes and acquiring, then getting rid of, then acquiring differing types of players to suit differing coaches' tastes. 

It's like constantly changing lanes at the grocery store.  You never make it to the check out.

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

No.

He is the same stale, run-first, try and win with other people's backups as Jauron, Rex and now McDermott is. 

He punted on 4th down and 2 from the Pittsburgh 36 down by 2 scores in the 4th Quarter. 

I could not stand listening to that guy with his "obviously" every 3rd word. 

8-4.

14 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No. The offense would have continued to suck (worse than we saw under Roman/Lynn in 2015 and 2016) and the defense would have depreciated due to aging personnel (see Williams, Mario).

but we would have been able to draft replacements, and not have them traded within 2 years.

3 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

I have no idea why people think he would get another head coaching gig?

He had his chance in Detroit and failed. It's very rare that guys like that would get a second chance at a head coaching position in the NFL.

Didn't he take an 0-16 team and get them to the playoffs?

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Yes.

Home opener against the Jets his last year.

Jets lost. Jets player later said....

"We could not math their intensity".

I'm still waiting for any team since to come anywhere remotely near that.

I remember Marrone calling a lot of Trig in that game.

Edited by KD in CA