MMQB: “The Crying Hour” and the Bills Unorthodox Team Building

YoloinOhio

57 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Nice story.   I like it a lot.

Still have to be able to coach.   

We'll see.  

NFL = NOT FOR LONG.   Coaches and players are only as good as their recent records.   So Eli Manning, the iconic face of the NY Giants for the last 13 years who bleeds Giant blue, gets dumped for Geno Smith.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/01/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-team-building-through-storytelling

This is my first time posting a link...hopefully it works. 

This is what I like hearing about in a locker room.  For those that don't care to read the lengthy article, it says that McDermott had some of the players share their backstories and what is important to them at a team meeting.  It's a refreshing approach in my opinion to attempt to keep building chemistry and a new culture.  

It's worth a shot.  I hear things like this that McDermott is trying and I kind of like it.  Of course, I feel that the end result has more to do with the talent assembled on the field than through these activities, but still good on him.  It makes you feel a bit more optimistic for the future

This is a very inspiring tactic and it should be used in the workplace. This type of team building may help eliminate the putrid stench of failure that has become a hallmark for Bills teams. This week is the biggest game they ever had. It's time to step up and take home the prize. Unfortunately, I think Dennison is holding the offense back enough to lose this one. I really hope we can finally break the Brady curse and bury the Pats.

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Exactly. Not understanding the "THIS GUY WILL BE HERE A LONG TIME" responses. 

Its a good story but but what does this have to do with winning football games which is McDermotts ultimate responsibility?  

Theres everyone’s favorite wet blanket.

13 hours ago, SoTier said:

NFL = NOT FOR LONG.   Coaches and players are only as good as their recent records.   So Eli Manning, the iconic face of the NY Giants for the last 13 years who bleeds Giant blue, gets dumped for Geno Smith.

Logic is just not a thing with some.  :rolleyes:

So may trolls just need the failure.  I have no certainty how long McBeane will stay with the Bills, but confidently predicting their doom before next year's (large) draft class has had at least a chance to show what they are - IE AFTER the 2018 season - is nonsensical.

47 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Logic is just not a thing with some.  :rolleyes:

So may trolls just need the failure.  I have no certainty how long McBeane will stay with the Bills, but confidently predicting their doom before next year's (large) draft class has had at least a chance to show what they are - IE AFTER the 2018 season - is nonsensical.

Where did I predict anybody's doom?  With several gushing posters declaring McDermott a hero and savior based on the "feel good" article that was posted, Shaw66 pointed out that McDermott is still going to be judged by how well his team does on the field.  I supported him by noting that even NFL icons can get tossed in the  trash if their recent records aren't good enough, and that observation has nothing to do with "logic" but with fact.  What is illogical is declaring McDermott a great coach and leader based on a "feel good" article.

Secondly, don't think that accusing me of being a troll is going to silence me when it comes to criticizing moves the Bills have made or make that I think are bad, stupid,  wrong-headed, short-sighted or a combination of any or all of those.  I've been a fan of the Bills longer than many of the posters on this MB have been alive.  I've been a season ticket holder, too, so I've earned the right to express my opinion on the team, past and present. 

If my opinion is mostly negative, well, the Bills haven't made the playoffs for 17 years and appear to have done all they could possibly do to insure that they miss for the 18th straight year in 2017.  They had exactly 2 -- count 'em, 2! -- winning seasons in those 17 years.   This season they strung together 3 of the worst losses ever experienced by this francise in its mostly losing history.  What the hell is there to be positive about?  That Jauronball 2.0 might be slightly less mind-numbingly boring than Jauronball 1.0?

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

If my opinion is mostly negative, well, the Bills haven't made the playoffs for 17 years and appear to have done all they could possibly do to insure that they miss for the 18th straight year in 2017.  

hey, lets cry about the last 17, keep looking back, using it as excuse to whine instead of looking at the present (6-5, still in the hunt) with a chance to end the drought.

will it happen, if it were up to you and those who constantly whimper about the past, probably not.

as for gushing over a POSITIVE article, it's easy to see why you wouldn't get anything out of it.

piss off with your negativity

53 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

hey, lets cry about the last 17, keep looking back, using it as excuse to whine instead of looking at the present (6-5, still in the hunt) with a chance to end the drought.

will it happen, if it were up to you and those who constantly whimper about the past, probably not.

as for gushing over a POSITIVE article, it's easy to see why you wouldn't get anything out of it.

piss off with your negativity

....for your own safety, better be REAL careful with that "voice of reason stuff" 'round these parts............