MMQB: “The Crying Hour” and the Bills Unorthodox Team Building

YoloinOhio

That's a helluva article!  Really shows the changing culture McDermott's bringing in.

Love it!

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

but there is this...Why Dennison needs to go & McDermott might not last...

that was a really great read, heavy stuff and does give a whole new perspective.

thanks for sharing OP!!

Wow.

What a troll job.

I mean, I guess I'll defend my honor a little since you're so bitterly trolling away here, though...

I was one of the first people talking about playoffs and how important I thought the coaching shift from Rex to McDermott was... way back before the season even started.

I've been one of the few since the offseason saying that I thought coaching trumped talent and that if McDermott could come in and change the culture (which I said multiple times felt a lot like Bill Bellicheck's approach) that this team could see a much quicker turnaround than people predicted and even make a run at the playoffs this year.

I haven't changed that stance, despite your apparent belief that a single criticism of (what might be) McDermott's approach long term means that I think he should be fired now.

That's not what I said in that thread you just linked and certainly not what I meant.

Troll away, though  :thumbsup:

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That's a helluva article!  Really shows the changing culture McDermott's bringing in.

Love it!

Wow.

What a troll job.

I mean, I guess I'll defend my honor a little since you're so bitterly trolling away here, though...

I was one of the first people talking about playoffs and how important I thought the coaching shift from Rex to McDermott was... way back before the season even started.

I've been one of the few since the offseason saying that I thought coaching trumped talent and that if McDermott could come in and change the culture (which I said multiple times felt a lot like Bill Bellicheck's approach) that this team could see a much quicker turnaround than people predicted and even make a run at the playoffs this year.

I haven't changed that stance, despite your apparent belief that a single criticism of (what might be) McDermott's approach long term means that I think he should be fired now.

That's not what I said in that thread you just linked and certainly not what I meant.

Troll away, though  :thumbsup:

Why won't they let you play both sides ???

• Haha (+1) 1

Great read Yolo. Thanks for sharing. 

I really have have high hopes that McDermott is going to be the guy who turns things around here. I still trust "the process", even after those brutal losses (and another one likely this Sunday...). Can't wait to see what this new regime is able to build in the coming years. 

Loved this quote by Matthews - 

“Every team should do it,” Matthews says. “Every business, every walk of life should do it. I don’t think there is enough emphasis on people. We don’t see people. We just see titles and labels, but there is a human being there. When you can start seeing somebody for who they really are, instead of just their performance, it helps relationships grow that much better.”

Also, I think this article, as a whole, demonstrates pretty well why all that talk of McDermott losing the locker room was just a bunch of nonsense. 

Edited by BillsFan4

43 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wow.

What a troll job.

call it as you may but I was clearly pointing out your ridiculous premature take on McD and thought it should be noted as such right here in this thread that clearly shows the players are buying in to the "process".

McDermott might not last...

that said, he's going to be around a while so get used to it.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

I loved the hire since day one.

I read something on this before but this story shared much more detail.

This shows the players he does care about them.

I think they understand this is a business and most of the players traded  were sent packing for salary cap reasons.

.....great find and pretty damn powerful stuff.......we've all heard "the nature of the beast" or hey "it's a business", cold hard calculated stuff happening......and McD brings the humanistic side of TEAM into the fold.....kids 21-23 years old away from home longer than ever before and on their own (I think it differs from collegiate "away from home setting")...maybe the "Fire McDermott Gang" sheds a tear and reluctantly lets him stay for year #2...stay tuned.....

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....great find and pretty damn powerful stuff.......we've all heard "the nature of the beast" or hey "it's a business", cold hard calculated stuff happening......and McD brings the humanistic side of TEAM into the fold.....kids 21-23 years old away from home longer than ever before and on their own (I think it differs from collegiate "away from home setting")...maybe the "Fire McDermott Gang" sheds a tear and reluctantly lets him stay for year #2...stay tuned.....

Who cares what that bunch thinks,they probably want Wrex back ;)

These guys are here for the long haul,like it or not.

PEGs said he would hire young motivated guys and they would be here a while meaning longer than 5 years.

11 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Who cares what that bunch thinks,they probably want Wrex back ;)

These guys are here for the long haul,like it or not.

PEGs said he would hire young motivated guys and they would be here a while meaning longer than 5 years.

....kid of sad isn't it bro?......becoming the Lake Erie Turnstile is their answer......think that Pegula spent $1.4 billion on the Bills and the Sabres for $189 mil both IN CASH to field losers?.....of course and understandably they made mistakes as neophyte owners......BUT even in those infancy stages, have they EVER resembled the meddlesome ownership tandem of Abbott & Costello.....er.....Jones & Snyder?.....and now they have spared NO expense in hiring FO/administrations for both organizations that will take time to develop....but then again, appeasing the "One & Done Gang" is....never mind..............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

41 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

call it as you may but I was clearly pointing out your ridiculous premature take on McD and thought it should be noted as such right here in this thread that clearly shows the players are buying in to the "process".

McDermott might not last...

that said, he's going to be around a while so get used to it.

troll troll trollin away.

I'm really disappointed... thought you were better than that, but I guess I'm learning that stooping low isn't all that new to you.

At this point I don't feel need to explain a point that's pretty easily understood if you understand the English language  :doh: 

Carry on with your crusade, though  :thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'll take it one further.

He won't last. In this league you are hired to be fired. It's just a matter of when. 

Hopefully its not for a while because that will mean he's had a lot of success here.

Sorry dude, you don't know that.

Things change when you lose and lose BAD. Look at the responses on here during that 3 game losing streak. Fans were killing McDermott and Beane and rightfully so.

....yup.....killing them for a 3 game losing streak in their collective year 1 makes perfect sense......now there's REAL valuable insight ...OR....INCITE......pathetically laughable ...oh well.........