Tyler Dunne: "Dennison Stays and Tyrod Goes"

BuffaloRush

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don't you think the decision to start Peterman is a signal that Dennison in fact, wants to air it out far more often than he can with Tyrod?

Rush-centered offense is one thing - I regularly point out all the recently successful teams that depend upon it - but the fact is, Dennison's run schemes and play calling aren't just conservative, they seem to be ineffective and predictable.

Dennison, by all accounts, runs a West Coast offense and throwing deep isn't what they're trying to do. It demands accuracy and solid ball placement on the short to intermediate stuff to generate YAC. Naturally, this requires an accurate passer for these routes with the running game there to set up the pass. McD knows this and isn't going to change the scheme to be suited to what they've got at QB. Perhaps they thought TT could be molded, but clearly they were wrong.

When I watch TT QB the offense, I don't see a lot of YAC.  I see a lot of throws to the sideline and little chance the receiver will take it more than 5 yards down-field. I see poor to average ball placement. You can cite TT's completion percentage but it doesn't reveal all of what's going on.  

Yeah, I get people shouting for Dennison to adapt his scheme to TT, but this is very much a traditional year. At the same time, TT as a non-pocket passer is probably better than the traditional QB they have in Peterman. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

My take/opinion was that it was sold to Dennison as an obvious move. The team was struggling on offense. Peterman has a chance to move us forward from average so let's see if he can. If we are only average than we can do better kind of attitude.

Taylor is the one who this originated from, fwiw, that it was Dennison

Self-preservation on Dennison's part. McD asks why the O isn't producing, Dennison says the QB won't throw where I want him to (force the ball into coverage). Peterman starts, forces/sails balls all half, and things go back to normal.

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

and the Typical output by a limited QB.  

;)

Is it a difference if it is typical? I feel like that implies it's the same...

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not disputing that at all. The point is that his system is the biggest problem. It’s Ockham’s Razor. The easiest answer is usually the right answer. The main difference is him. 

I think the system is fine. Not great, but it can work.

What's not fine is Dennison's play-calling. No imagination. Extremely predictable.

It's obvious why Kubiak never let him call plays for an entire season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Roman would be an example.  If he was doing as reported, he should have been released and replaced in the off-season.  Instead he was kept until it was clear to Rex his seat was toasty hot and he had to do something.

McDermott's seat won't be heated for another year or more.  He can keep his buds.

I understand Dunne is referring to the Peterman move.  His point (as I understand it) is that if an OC is so wedded to his QB profile/scheme that he's willing to hurl an unready untried rookie into the fire in the forlorn hope he will execute it better than an average-stats NFL-capable QB who does best when his unique skills are featured, that QB isn't staying no matter what.

This may work.  I have more where that came from.  Heh.

bfc8b3d92e644e9b66a9cdc8bc6e0954.jpg

First of all, any reporter would understand that this was a move made by the HC, not the OC.  Second, if the OC, hypothetically, did recommend this move, he either A: is engaging in a cynical stunt because he knows the 5th round rookie trick shot artist isn't ready for ANY system yet--and because he wants to send a message (to who?). Or B: the OC had no clue the the 5th round rookie was so far away from being ready to start that day.

Which is worse?  It's impossible to pick.

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

What's not fine is Dennison's play-calling. No imagination. Extremely predictable.

His play calling is painful. The design of his running game and blocking schemes are too. In general I agree and it’s clear that Kubiak tried to hide him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

First of all, any reporter would understand that this was a move made by the HC, not the OC.  Second, if the OC, hypothetically, did recommend this move, he either A: is engaging in a cynical stunt because he knows the 5th round rookie trick shot artist isn't ready for ANY system yet--and because he wants to send a message (to who?). Or B: the OC had no clue the the 5th round rookie was so far away from being ready to start that day.

Which is worse?  It's impossible to pick.

(A) makes no sense so it's obviously (B). But maybe Peterman's first outing was an anomaly and he isn't nearly as "far away from being ready" as it looked.

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

(A) makes no sense so it's obviously (B). But maybe Peterman's first outing was an anomaly and he isn't nearly as "far away from being ready" as it looked.

Then why not keep him in there the rest of the season if he was put in there, according to Dunne, because TT doesn't belong in the OC's offense.

Dunne makes no sense.  He should stick to locker room post games and transcribing pressers.

They both need to go...hire a young brilliant mind a year or two before everyone wants him as an OC like the Rams did with McVay as head coach...or maybe the Bills did by hiring McDermott as HC...or Beane as GM...they need to apply the same thinking to OC...

Highly talented people will always shine eventually even if it takes them a little while to figure it out...

I got hired as the youngest restaurant GM in the history of rhe company when it happened and only because there was literally nobody else to give it to...back then you weren't sniffing your own store til you hit 35 at least. 

I had just turned 23...they basically gave it to me with the thought they'd just close it down if I didn't fix it because it had been through so many GMs there and the issues still remained...not only did I fix it i increased sales over 10K a month in under 6 months and my staff loved me because they were all younger or near the same age as me and could relate to me...never had call ins...never had issues...I made it fun to come to work but I was also on them like white on rice if they did something wrong. My standards were very high. I literally became the model store for the entire region. The VP came in after a year and told me how he was shocked by what I did and how it taught him an important lesson...and how he didnt want to promote me and how I was the last resort, etc...basically he sucked my johnson that day.

It opened up the door for similarly talented younger assistant GMs to get their own stores and they got similar results...

Bottom line is talent trumps experience 95% of the time...hire a young talented offensive assistant as OC rather than retreads that havent been good just because they have experience

Edited by matter2003

37 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

and the Typical output by a limited QB.  

;)

Then you missed the whole point. The team was top 10 DVOA and scoring the last 2 years. Now they are 25 and 22. Either all of the players got worse or the coaching did. You can interpret it however you choose but the likeliest scenario is that the poor coaching has led to the regression. 

Here we are, pining for Rex Ryan's offense....

What a world. LOL

Dennison is stubborn and inflexible, or maybe all he knows is Kubiak's offense, so he can't change his ways

Hey, let's get 40 year old Peyton Manning on the move more, maybe get him under center when he can barely freaking move. Brilliant!

43 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Then you missed the whole point. The team was top 10 DVOA and scoring the last 2 years. Now they are 25 and 22. Either all of the players got worse or the coaching did. You can interpret it however you choose but the likeliest scenario is that the poor coaching has led to the regression. 

I missed nothing Kirby.  I gave up making any type of reasoning with people that push any type of stat.  My arms are tired from beating that poor horse. 

Show me a stat that guarantees a win or loss and I'll get on board with it.   

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Watch the Bills go get Trevor Seimien. :unsure:

jmc12290 would love that... even when we get worse  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

So ridiculously predictable it's sickening.  You look at the formation and know what play is going to be run half the time! And so does the defense!

Why can't we luck out with a young brilliant OC for once?  Do we even have any of those potential guys on staff if we were to fire Dennison right now?