Why Taylor can't be the QB longterm---perfect example today

Big Turk

11 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Look at the teams that lost today.  Every QB threw picks.  Look at the teams that lost to us.  Their QB threw picks.  Guess what Tyrod doesn't do?  Any questions.

If not throwing picks is all that matters, just don't throw the ball.  Silly, reductionist argument.  It's excellent that we beat a struggling team on the road.  Doesn't validate TT as anything more than the most adequate qb currently on the roster.  Most folks have figured this out.

I never had a chance to see Tyrod play in an offence stacked with elite talent. I don't think Tyrod should always shoulder all the blame. I think there are times he can take something that is average and make it work sometimes and hate all you want but that's special.

I think the hate for Tyrod is over the top. I even agree with some criticism of him but he's making something not good enough into almost good. Tyrod can be a franchise quarterback. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I never had a chance to see Tyrod play in an offence stacked with elite talent. I don't think Tyrod should always shoulder all the blame. I think there are times he can take something that is average and make it work sometimes and hate all you want but that's special.

I think the hate for Tyrod is over the top. I even agree with some criticism of him but he's making something not good enough into almost good. Tyrod can be a franchise quarterback. 

What would you call Woods, Watkins, Goodwin, Clay, McCoy?

Edited by LarryMadman

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If not throwing picks is all that matters, just don't throw the ball.  Silly, reductionist argument.  It's excellent that we beat a struggling team on the road.  Doesn't validate TT as anything more than the most adequate qb currently on the roster.  Most folks have figured this out.

1% of his throws are INTs this year. You're wrong to say that doesnt matter. Petermans is 21% lol

15 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Thanks OP, but most of us heard Trent Green say all this during the game.

It's always funny when this happens....Everyone watching the game heard the analyst say exactly the same thing.... word for word.....are we suppose to think this is an original point of view ? 

Just now, Jackington said:

1% of his throws are INTs this year. You're wrong to say that doesnt matter. Petermans is 21% lol

I didn't say it doesn't matter.  I responded to a sorta argument that made Taylor not throwing picks the singular basis for assessing his value.

19 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Look at the teams that lost today.  Every QB threw picks.  Look at the teams that lost to us.  Their QB threw picks.  Guess what Tyrod doesn't do?  Any questions.

There is more to winning than not throwing picks. 

Tyrod is the best QB we have.... I was never a Peterman guy... I really disliked him in college. But Tyrod is not the long term answer. If there is anyone to whom this is abundantly clear by now I worry about them. 

27 minutes ago, jr1 said:

Tyrod's defense beat Ryan, Carr, Winston and Smith this season

FIXED

Smith put up 10 points today.  Carr's team fumbled it away constantly in the rain.  Ryan threw (3?) picks.

Tyrod is low-mediocre - this play was only one of many many examples.

Taylor will be gone next year, they will draft a QB in the first, and that kid will backup Peterman to start 2018.

Edited by BobChalmers

12 minutes ago, CviewBills said:

Please watch the play again...sure it wasn't a great throw, but O'leary didn't have to go to his knees to make the catch.  He indeed was bracing for a hit which didn't come.  He could have very easily caught it with his hands.  The ball was waist high.

It was knee high, not waist high.  That's why O'Leary went down to get it.  It should have been thrown much earlier - O'Leary was WIDE open right off his break.

6 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

What would you call Woods, Watkins, Clay, McCoy?

And when he had Woods, Watkins, Clay, and McCoy he completed 63% of his passes for over 8yds an attempt, 27 touchdown passes & 6 interceptions.

And added another plus-minus 500 yds rushing. Does that answer your question?

Today he played with an offensive line which often imploded, almost nothing from the running game, and this week's assortment of receivers off the scrapheap.

And he played well.

So the haters whine about ....... wait for it ...... a 14yd completion. Too funny, huh?

Edited by grb
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Look...we won and that is great...but we made it way harder than it needed to be.  

Taylor had a chance to pretty much bury the Chiefs on a simple play and he didn't take it.  O'Leary wide open in the middle of the field with literally nobody within 20 yards of him...not exaggerating. Taylor has an absolutely clean pocket, nobody near him, nobody in his face...all Taylor has to do is make an easy throw, give O'Leary the chance to run after the catch and instead he throws the ball at his feet where he has to dive and make a catch, nullifying his ability to gain more yards.  Instead of a first down + inside the 20, we have a 3rd and 2 at the 42 oe 43 yard line...3rd down and we lose yards, then punt. 

So instead of running a bunch of more time off the clock, kicking an easy FG or even possibly getting a TD, to go up 2 scores we punt it back to them up 6.  

I know I know...you are like "Whats the big deal? Taylor completed the pass, set up a short 3rd down and we won!"  Yes, we did, but there are times every game when you have the chance to put a team away and Taylor consistently doesn't take advantage of it.  Yes, other QB's put the ball there at times, but not on that route and not with nobody in their face.  You just have to make a better throw...its what seperates consistently good QBs from QBs like Taylor... when you have a chance to get a first down and another 20+ yards ESPECIALLY at the point of the game it happened, you don't want to be settling for a 3rd and short.

Details like this is what win and lose you games many times in the NFL. You don't get very many easy plays like that in the NFL and when you do you HAVE to capitalize on them. Details are not Taylor's strong suit.  He does a lot of big things right...he doesn't turn the ball over...he gets out of trouble a lot...he completes passes...but he doesn't do well on ball placement a lot of times...there are too many times receivers have to stop running or are stopped when he throws the ball to them, or dive to the ground to make catches when they shouldn't have.

I understand if you are wondering what the big deal is, but people who know football on a more than rudimentary level can appreciate what I am saying....Taylor can't be the franchise QB because he doesn't do the little things right often enough...he misses too many plays that should be easy and our drives stall out many times because of it...wonder why we tend to go 3 and out a lot with him?  That's why. Details.

No argument here.  That throw is precisely why the staff wanted to look at peterman and precisely why Taylor will don a different uniform next year.