Why do the Bills Never Have THE GUY?

Domdab99

3 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

When was the last time the Bills had THE GUY? The guy who made a difference, the guy who was THE NFL star at his position?

The Texans have JJ Watt. The Packers have Aaron Rodgers. The Steelers have Antonio Brown. Even the Jags have up-and-coming GUYS like Jalen Ramsey and Calais Campbell. But the bIlls never seem to have that GUY, you know?

We draft Sammy Watkins to be the GUY,  but nope. Marcel Dareus? Nope. We have guys like Darby and Alexander and Bryce Paup step up for one season and then they are no longer the GUY.

The last THE GUY we had was probably Bruce Smith.

The Bills don't have anyone on the roster right now who could become THE GUY. Shady is sorta THE GUY, but he's not going to be around much longer.

We need THE GUY.

The Bills don't keep their top players long enough for them to become difference makers here.  Some of the best they've sent packing: Pro Bowl CB Antoine Winfield (Minnesota), Pro Bowl LG Ruben Brown (Chicago), Pro Bowl DT Pat Williams (Minnesota), future HOF LT Jason Peters (Philly), All Pro RB Marshawn Lynch (Seattle), Pro Bowl CB Stephon Gilmore (NE) ... and likely to be added to that list: WR Robert Woods (LAR), WR Sammy Watkins (LAR), Pro Bowl DT Marcell Dareus (Jax), CB Ronald Darby (Philly).  Certainly Peters and Lynch went on to become "the guys" for their respective teams.

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The Bills don't keep their top players long enough for them to become difference makers here.  Some of the best they've sent packing: Pro Bowl CB Antoine Winfield (Minnesota), Pro Bowl LG Ruben Brown (Chicago), Pro Bowl DT Pat Williams (Minnesota), future HOF LT Jason Peters (Philly), All Pro RB Marshawn Lynch (Seattle), Pro Bowl CB Stephon Gilmore (NE) ... and likely to be added to that list: WR Robert Woods (LAR), WR Sammy Watkins (LAR), Pro Bowl DT Marcell Dareus (Jax), CB Ronald Darby (Philly).  Certainly Peters and Lynch went on to become "the guys" for their respective teams.

Lynch wasn't going to be "the guy" in Buffalo, because when he wasn't busy running down Canadians he sucked and we should have drafted Adrian Peterson...

That's the real reason the Bills never have "the guy."  Because the fans will always say "He's not the guy!"  Because they're all idiots, and can't have nice things.

6 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Why? Levy, Brandon, mix, Whaley. That’s why.

To shed some more light on this post, just look back at the past 10 drafts. It will tell you all you need to know.

This team has missed consistently on draft picks since Polian left. 

6 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

When was the last time the Bills had THE GUY? The guy who made a difference, the guy who was THE NFL star at his position?

The Texans have JJ Watt. The Packers have Aaron Rodgers. The Steelers have Antonio Brown. Even the Jags have up-and-coming GUYS like Jalen Ramsey and Calais Campbell. But the bIlls never seem to have that GUY, you know?

We draft Sammy Watkins to be the GUY,  but nope. Marcel Dareus? Nope. We have guys like Darby and Alexander and Bryce Paup step up for one season and then they are no longer the GUY.

The Bills don't have anyone on the roster right now who could become THE GUY. Shady is sorta THE GUY, but he's not going to be around much longer.

We need THE GUY.

Next year

We need THE GUY.

You just listed like 4 guys as THE GUY. I still don't even really know what you mean. 25 teams don't have that GUY you are talking about I'd guess.

4 minutes ago, McBean said:

To shed some more light on this post, just look back at the past 10 drafts. It will tell you all you need to know.

This team has missed consistently on draft picks since Polian left. 

Every team misses consistently  on draft picks. Especially a team like say, the Pats.

Though with your name I'm not even sure if it's worth discussing it with you.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Time was, when guys who the Bills drafted, were out of football sitting on a couch in a few years.  Since Nix, I have to say....there have been a few exceptions due mostly to injury (Troup, Carrington) or lack of discipline (Karlos Williams), but since then most every player we have cut or let go is playing, usually starting, for another team.

I don't think you can call that "poor drafting".  What you can call it is lack of continuity at coaching and scheme

Wow watch out. Giving any credit to Nix or Whaley is forbidden on here. How about a guy like Ross Cockrell. He probably could have helped us now. Not blaming McDermott  at all for that, I know he was gone long before he was here. He's just a guy I for whatever reason always liked and seems like a solid player we drafted and cut for no reason.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Another Fan said:

You kinda could argue we have The Guy as our field goal kicker now.  What is it like 15 straight he's nailed from 50 yards plus.  But yeah I kinda get the OPs sentiments 

We also used to have The Guy at punter for a decade, but I don't think that was getting us anywhere either!

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

McDermott had his shot at The Guy at #10, and passed for a corner. 

:) Let's just argue about who made that pick.

I'll blame Whaley because I always blamed Nix for EJ! 

OK, kidding aside.  I was shocked to see Watson's start.  I thought he was picked in the top 5. 
When I saw that he was there at 10, I couldn't believe it.  He will be the "Russell Wilson" of this regime.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

One word:  Dareus.

Would you have rather had Dareus or Von Miller? One is THE GUY and one is not.

THE GUY is a game-changer. A star. Someone who makes a difference and who every team covets.

Edited by Domdab99

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Time was, when guys who the Bills drafted, were out of football sitting on a couch in a few years.  Since Nix, I have to say....there have been a few exceptions due mostly to injury (Troup, Carrington) or lack of discipline (Karlos Williams), but since then most every player we have cut or let go is playing, usually starting, for another team.

I don't think you can call that "poor drafting".  What you can call it is lack of continuity at coaching and scheme

good for them.  Darby , Gilmore, Watkins, Ragland, Woods, Dareus, Poz all playing for top teams.   bet they're glad to be out of crazy town.   

They HAVE failed to draft a high quality QB, though.   That and the coaching merry go round (thanks Ralph) are the two things that have held them back.  

Edited by 8-8 Forever?

Would you have rather had Dareus or Von Miller? One is THE GUY and one is not.

THE GUY is a game-changer. A star. Someone who makes a difference and who every team covets.

You knew some idiot was gonna answer dareus or Watkins 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

We need THE GUY.

Answer: Drafting Impotence!