'He literally didn't block me': Chargers' Bosa mic'd up vs. Bills

Foxx

51 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I went back and watched the play right before Bosa's quote a couple of times.  I am no expert on blocking technique, but it's not too hard to figure out that Mills' technique on the play was simply awful.  I know enough to understand that the offensive tackle has to have quick feet to stay in front of the pass rusher.  It did not seem to me like a deliberate wiff on the block.  Mills extended his arms and tried to get his hands on Bosa, but could not stay in front of him as Bosa ripped right by him without even breaking stride, as if Mills were not there at all.  It was downright  embarrassing for Mills.  And that is not to excuse Peterman, who made plenty of bad decisions on his own.  Even when the other team is mounting an effective pass rush, it's on the QB to make good decisions, and Peterman made precious few of them on Sunday.

Oh, there's no question Mills technique is poor, but I think it starts with his position pre-snap. 

Now whether that's his position by coaching, by design, or by personal choice, can't say.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

good post for someone who claims to know nearly nothing.
lets say the issue is the QB cannot audible out of a play.  Do the linemen have the freedom to do what is right.

Also, does the T have a signal for the guard that i am going to turn this guy outside. Letting the G help  protect that gap just about to be abandoned. ?

audibles and pre snap adjustments. Is that the real issue here ?

Oh, Thanks.  I do know some things.  I'm just not nearly the expert that some of the guys here are. 

We do have some folks here who really know their stuff.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The more I look at that clip, the scarier Bosa looks.  That man is a 6'5", 270 lb hunk of turf-pounding QB mayhem.  If he plays like that every game, he's got a spot waiting for him in Canton.  There ain't no "let", there ain't no "lack of try", that's what happens when you try to run a 50W OT at 500W: circuits pop, the thing blows out, and it just don't work.  That's what other team's OTs looked like when the lined up across from Bruce Smith in his prime.

I have two questions for the knowledgeable here:

1) at 2:09 in that clip, Taylor is "sacked" with a fumble.  When I look at it, it looks as though his arm and the ball were going forward as he threw.  Shouldn't that have been an incomplete forward pass?  If not, can anyone explain?  Why no challenge?  Did our coaches give up, too?

2) at about 1:30 in that clip, Bosa blows by a LT (I think Dawkins).  You can see Bosa's right arm swing up at the LT's helmet and hear a WHUMP sound.  After the play, Dawkins is bent over holding his head with one or both hands.  What the heck, did Bosa just slug him in the face as he went by?  Is that legal?

I saw the replay from other angle and he has an empty hand. Ball was out before his arm was moving forward.

NOW ON YOUR SECOND COMMENT.  That was weird. Dawkins looked concussed after that play.  Or maybe just a finger to the eye or loose contact lens.  But it was weird for sure. He clubbed him in the facemask. Good pickup!

Edited by KW95

22 hours ago, purple haze said:

I have a feeling we'll see more than one DT in the first four picks.  McD's defense requires pressure up front in both phases of the game; dominating pressure.  That front 7 will take precedence in this draft outside of QB.  Look for a couple LB's and couple DT's in the first three rounds.

I have a feeling Cordy Glenn will be outta there too for more picks toward that end.

I doubt it. 2 DT picks in first 2 rounds is overkill I will stick with my hope of

1 QB

1 DT

1 LT

1 4-3 ILB

Third round OLB, G or CB

Fourth round OLB, G or CB

2) at about 1:30 in that clip, Bosa blows by a LT (I think Dawkins).  You can see Bosa's right arm swing up at the LT's helmet and hear a WHUMP sound.  After the play, Dawkins is bent over holding his head with one or both hands.  What the heck, did Bosa just slug him in the face as he went by?  Is that legal?

I have watched that play from two angles now. I am pretty sure now that Bosa poked him in the eye quite hard.

Nope it isn't legal but they didn't see it I am sure. Also it may have been an accident. But I doubt Dawkins thinks so!

Even money Dawkins is wearing a face shield next game.

'

Now add in the potential "tell" that someone called out - Peterman's hands may have been going forward just before the snap.  That's also fatal to the OL, because they must hold perfectly still once they're set, until the snap, while the DL just has to stay out of the neutral zone but can "start their engines".  Again, doing the OL no favors.

And they needed all the favors they could get because Sweet Jesus Mary and Joseph that Bosa does Bad Things.

What you say isn't caca. That tell was really, really bad for the reasons you described.

And even worse, if the Bills had seen it we could have got a first down out of it. I am sure they were keying on it. (The astonishing attack so fast off the line alone should have alerted the Bills that something was up). If they saw it they could have had Peterman just do it as usual and give a hard count instead when he had been giving the snap count, and they would have jumped offside, penalty, first down in the bag.

I could write a whole big post on this little detail. But I won't I will just say if you watch film you will see things that no one else does. And that no one talks about. And that no one in the mainstream media see or knows. They write about how McDermott should be ashamed or looks silly or whatever the heck. They are truly idiots most of them, and they refuse to watch film.

If we had a good press that actually did watch film it would help the team because the coaches are human and do miss things. I would do it but the guys these days are know it alls and will not listen to one word. (Mularkey did FYI)

Anyway. I have a very long way to go learning the game. But I am going to watch the film and I will know what is happening out there I bet. And it isn't just scheme. And nobody at all will tell me what is really happening, certainly not in the press.

Gaugan wrote a piece in TBN that said even extra blocking couldn't help Peterman. They did plan for it and they did have extra blockers, but gee even that wasn't enough. Take him at his word, that would seem pretty conclusive.

Except that not one time of the sacks and hits, not once, was an the extra blocker on Bosa. Which he did not mention. Unbelievable.

This is turning into the whole big post I said I wouldn't write. So last I will say the Patriots just did as they always do and got a Bill to pump for info before the game. This year they took someone from our practice squad. Over and over they do that and over and over the Bills have no counter for it. I wish they would. I would if I was King.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Gaugan wrote a piece in TBN that said even extra blocking couldn't help Peterman. They did plan for it and they did have extra blockers, but gee even that wasn't enough. Take him at his word, that would seem pretty conclusive. (...) Except that not one time of the sacks and hits, not once, was an the extra blocker on Bosa. Which he did not mention. Unbelievable.

It's pretty clear even in the Bosa mic'd up clip, our OTs were trying to handle Bosa with no help.  It'd be interesting in the all-22 to look at why.  Did they keep a TE in to block, but Bosa switched sides?  Keep a back in, but the Chargers sent a LB for him ?  Or by the time the back got into action, Dawkins or Mills was already beaten like an Ale Flip so we're back to 1 on 1?  Fundamentally, it can be handled, but it takes some creativity and flexibility in the protections.  It's good to know they were trying to leave in extra blockers, but trying ain't doing.  As Dan Dierdorf said about Kelly in one of the Superbowls, "it's hard to throw completions when you're sitting on your ass"

You're also right, when a fast attack is that fast off the line, it's worth scrutinizing for a "tell" that they may be keying off.  It was said that in the Broncos-Panthers Superbowl, the Broncos front 7 were keying off something on the Panther's center, I don't remember what.

You're right a third time about film.  I used to get Gamepass every year and watch every game, Coach's Film and the condensed version in Slomo.  I gave it up last year, couldn't stand to watch the Ryan-coached Bills.  People like me don't want to pay for TBN to read Gaughn tell me something I can watch film and see for myself isn't true, especially when I can find more thorough, thoughtful stuff free online.

3 hours ago, KW95 said:

I saw the replay from other angle and he has an empty hand. Ball was out before his arm was moving forward.

NOW ON YOUR SECOND COMMENT.  That was weird. Dawkins looked concussed after that play.  Or maybe just a finger to the eye or loose contact lens.  But it was weird for sure. He clubbed him in the facemask. Good pickup!

Thanks on the gouge from the other angle.

Yeah, not sure "loose contact lens" would cover it.  He was literally bent over with both hands to his helmet. 

I don't think what Bosa did was allowed (illegal hands to the face?) but when you've been outmatched all night, the refs aren't going to be poised to see it.   I understand teams write a weekly letter to the league about calls and non-calls they contest, and I hope that's in it.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:21 PM, Foxx said:

'He literally didn't block me': Chargers' Bosa mic'd up vs. Bills

the play in question begins at the 0:59 mark.

..... whats the deal here?

did Mills let him by because he was unhappy Tyrod was benched?

should he be benched?

were there others who mailed it in as well?

Woods advised in interview he snapped the ball on the wrong count so Mills did not go right away. Was not Mills fault.

You can see Mills delay and Bosa was gone by then.

Edited by cba fan

5 hours ago, cba fan said:

Woods advised in interview he snapped the ball on the wrong count so Mills did not go right away. Was not Mills fault.

You can see Mills delay and Bosa was gone by then.

This just increases the likelihood the OL sucked on purpose because they didn't want Peterman to play. Tyrod is the more popular player. 

If this regime was willing to make a QB change midseason, I'm still trying to figure out what is stopping them from making multiple changes to the oline.

You can't use the continuity up front excuse when most of your starters have been terrible and one has been out most of the year with injury. Simply no excuse at this point for none of the following to not have happened by now:

1) Giving Ryan Groy a shot at RG (or Center if you move Wood to guard).

2) Giving John Miller the start at RG again

3) Giving Henderson a shot at RT

4) Starting Dawkins at RT if/when Glenn plays LT

Just really have to question what this team is doing and if it's the oline coach that is refusing to reshuffle the line he probably needs to be fired before Dennison in the offseason.

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

If this regime was willing to make a QB change midseason, I'm still trying to figure out what is stopping them from making multiple changes to the oline.

You can't use the continuity up front excuse when most of your starters have been terrible and one has been out most of the year with injury. Simply no excuse at this point for none of the following to not have happened by now:

1) Giving Ryan Groy a shot at RG (or Center if you move Wood to guard).

2) Giving John Miller the start at RG again

3) Giving Henderson a shot at RT

4) Starting Dawkins at RT if/when Glenn plays LT

Just really have to question what this team is doing and if it's the oline coach that is refusing to reshuffle the line he probably needs to be fired before Dennison in the offseason.

Having to fire your offensive staff after the first season is just part of "the process"..........trust it!:thumbsup:

You can't play Wood at Guard, he has not played there since he was in High School and with the leg injuries he has had to be honest I am surprised Groy has not taken his job.

How the hell Ducasse still has a job is one of the great mysteries of life.  The fact they have not plugged Groy in at RG is mind boggling to me. I watched him play High School ball in Middleton and college ball at UW.  He has played Guard almost exclusively in that time with a little C and T mixed in. Yeah, he has bounced around the pros but he can play.  What little we have gotten to see of him has proven that.  I am a bit partial but if I was building an offensive line, I would draft nothing but Big Ten guys with a heavy dose of Badgers in the mix.

Then you have Mills. I don't know, he might be a better all around tackle than Henderson but he sure as hell is not a better run blocker.  I would love to see

Glenn, Cog, Wood, Groy, Dawkins but if Glenn ain't healthy Dawkins, Cog, Wood, Groy, and Henderson would be my line and I would run the hell out of the ball on the right side of that.

1 hour ago, simool said:

You can't play Wood at Guard, he has not played there since he was in High School and with the leg injuries he has had to be honest I am surprised Groy has not taken his job.

How the hell Ducasse still has a job is one of the great mysteries of life.  The fact they have not plugged Groy in at RG is mind boggling to me. I watched him play High School ball in Middleton and college ball at UW.  He has played Guard almost exclusively in that time with a little C and T mixed in. Yeah, he has bounced around the pros but he can play.  What little we have gotten to see of him has proven that.  I am a bit partial but if I was building an offensive line, I would draft nothing but Big Ten guys with a heavy dose of Badgers in the mix.

Then you have Mills. I don't know, he might be a better all around tackle than Henderson but he sure as hell is not a better run blocker.  I would love to see

Glenn, Cog, Wood, Groy, Dawkins but if Glenn ain't healthy Dawkins, Cog, Wood, Groy, and Henderson would be my line and I would run the hell out of the ball on the right side of that.

Wood played RG 10 games in 2009 until his leg broke, then the full season in 2010 before switching to center.

He was a decent guard but that was when he was younger and more mobile.

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wood played RG 10 games in 2009 until his leg broke, then the full season in 2010 before switching to center.

He was a decent guard but that was when he was younger and more mobile.

Thats right how the hell could I forget Hangartner? FFS

On 2017-11-21 at 10:21 PM, purple haze said:

We drafted an OT in the 2nd round, and no, it's not telling, because Cordy was injured through camp and parts of the season so the rookie was put on the left side.  The question is why can't Henderson get a look at RT? 

Agreed

On 11/22/2017 at 5:48 PM, PrimeTime101 said:

I doubt it. 2 DT picks in first 2 rounds is overkill I will stick with my hope of

1 QB

1 DT

1 LT

1 4-3 ILB

Third round OLB, G or CB

Fourth round OLB, G or CB

Dawkins is their LT.  Glenn will go for picks.  With extra picks, on top of what they already have, I could see an OT picked.  If they only have what they currently do, no.

McD likes to rotate his DL.  Two DT's wouldn't be overkill.  He needs that position for his scheme.