1 play from yesterday that tells you why Dennison can't be here anymore

Big Turk

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think the Bills are just a team with very little talent and there's nothing the coaching staff can do to make them any better.  They stink.  Everyone except Haushka.  They suck.

They are certainly in need of talent at certain positions.

The back breaker for the Bills this year has been the dropoff in performance from the offensive line.    They were never good pass blockers, but their run blocking completely sucks compared to the last two years.   

This season has lived and died with the play of the offensive and defensive lines.    Everyone loves to focus on the skill players (ball handlers), but in reality it has always been determined in the trenches.

Next year will be the same way - no matter which Qb they draft.    If they don't fix what is truly awful with the offensive line (coaching) and players on right side - well then this team will continue sucking on offense.

Edited by PolishDave
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Dennison doesn’t let his QBs audible. He didn’t when he was in Houston and he hasn’t let Tyrod or Peterman audible either. Must be an ego thing.

If I was the QB I would be all over him for that playcall today in the film room.  Literally I would be almost ready to fight him over that.  It isn't the first time I have seen something questionable...its the first time I've seen something this blatantly stupid that its inexcusable.

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

They are certainly in need of talent at certain positions.

The back breaker for the Bills this year has been the dropoff in performance from the offensive line.    They were never good pass blockers, but their run blocking completely sucks compared to the last two years.   

This season has lived and died with the play of the offensive and defensive lines.    Everyone loves to focus on the skill players (ball handlers), but in reality it has always been determined in the trenches.

Next year will be the same way - no matter which Qb they draft.    If they fix what is truly awful with the offensive line (coaching) and players on right side - well then this team will continue sucking on offense.

Exactly.  Ask the Raiders and the Cowboys how a stellar o-line can make a good QB look elite.

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'm not talking about anything else...I am talking about basic smart football.  There is NO way they don't gain 8 yards on that play with a run to the left. None, unless McCoy falls down.  It has nothing to do with who they have or don't have.  It has to do with personnel on the field and taking advantage of an obvious mismatch.

The defense makes their shift making the LG and LT with no one to cover..... by this time the offense is lined up (obviously) and the play has already been called. Your making the assumption that your rookie QB is recognizing the mismatch and has the power\confidence to make the audible. Don't get me wrong... Dennison is part of the issue, but he is not the only issue with the offense. I am no TT fan, but if he had game planned around his talents, he would net better results. That said, It was Peterman's first start, he got rattled early with the INT and couldn't recover. 

My question is, who do you go with next week? Do you give Peterman another chance and see how he responds or to you sit him and say "we'll try again when we get you some better support from the o-line."

Just now, BigPappy said:

The defense makes their shift making the LG and LT with no one to cover..... by this time the offense is lined up (obviously) and the play has already been called. Your making the assumption that your rookie QB is recognizing the mismatch and has the power\confidence to make the audible. Don't get me wrong... Dennison is part of the issue, but he is not the only issue with the offense. I am no TT fan, but if he had game planned around his talents, he would net better results. That said, It was Peterman's first start, he got rattled early with the INT and couldn't recover. 

My question is, who do you go with next week? Do you give Peterman another chance and see how he responds or to you sit him and say "we'll try again when we get you some better support from the o-line."

He would have known they had 6 DBs 0n the field and that is enough of a reason in and of itself to run the ball with the personnel we had.

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The line is far worse, as are the receivers.

We have the same players on the offensive line. It is the coaches’ decision to bench Miller for Ducasse. The one excuse you could use is Glenn’s injury but Dawkins hasn’t been that bad. Woods and Watkins were down for a good portion of last year so you can’t say the receivers have dropped off a ton. No excuse to go from 27 PPG under Lynn (would rank 6th this season) to 20.8 PPG under Dennison (ranks 19th this season).

If you take your Tyrod blinders off you’ll know this is true even if you just look at the run game. We have the same personnel in the run game! No excuses there. Dennison just sucks.

1 minute ago, Figster said:

I'm so sick of running the ball on 1st down its driving me nuts.

QB walks up to the line with a whole different approach knowing he has 3 downs throwing the football to make a 1st in my humble opinion.

Agree even if strength to run the game. If the other team knows what is happening loses the run game for us easier to take it down. Mix it up all 3 downs ( even tho third is passing down)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

He would have known they had 6 DBs 0n the field and that is enough of a reason in and of itself to run the ball with the personnel we had.

Totally agree, but as an earlier poster mentioned, Dennison seems to not allow his QB to audible for what ever reason. Now if I am the QB, i would audible anyway and take the heat during the game but then point out the issue in film the next day. But that's me. I think it just comes down to power and or confidence. seeing as I don't recall seeing TT audible this year I am guessing lack of power for the QB to change the play.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Agree even if strength to run the game. If the other team knows what is happening loses the run game for us easier to take it down. Mix it up all 3 downs ( even tho third is passing down)

Not with that mismatch in personnel you dont mix it up. You run the ball and get a huge gain.

Mike Mccoy is out in Denver who was Mcdermott's first choice.  With how the unit has played all year Dennison is probably done at seasons end.  The defense needs some talent in the interior and some speed in the linebaker group.  

Edited by Mat68

43 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Indeed. I remember that play vividly as well. I couldn't get why THIS time the play was to throw on first down after 3 picks and 6 DBs on the field!

On the flip side, recall when Preston Brown totally knew the play after Rivers had called it? Rivers was pissed at Lynn, rightfully so. At least on the D side they can audible!

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We have the same players on the offensive line. It is the coaches’ decision to bench Miller for Ducasse. The one excuse you could use is Glenn’s injury but Dawkins hasn’t been that bad. Woods and Watkins were down for a good portion of last year so you can’t say the receivers have dropped off a ton. No excuse to go from 27 PPG under Lynn (would rank 6th this season) to 20.8 PPG under Dennison (ranks 19th this season).

If you take your Tyrod blinders off you’ll know this is true even if you just look at the run game. We have the same personnel in the run game! No excuses there. Dennison just sucks.

I'll say it again, since it's true ... the line is far worse, as are the receivers.

This isn't about Tyrod Taylor.  It's not the same personnel on the line OR at Wide Receiver.  And we don't have the same personnel in the run game either.

Did you not notice all of the players who were cut or traded since the end of last season??  Just because Shady is still here doesn't mean, "we have the same personnel in the run game."  That's stupid.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

this is nonsense.  Who in their right mind trades a possible 4 yard gain for a potential 20+ yard run??  Who trusts their rookie QB starting his first game to be better in that situation than their HOF RB who already had 78 yards and a TD on 5 carries? 

Who does that??  Dennison. That's who.

Who in their right mind thinks handing off is going to net you 20+ yards every time? Shady got the bulk of his yards on 3 runs, and now you're making it out like every time we handed off it was going to be a home run. You would've criticized Dennison for predictably running the ball while behind if he kept handing off. It's a lose-lose. 

7 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Who in their right mind thinks handing off is going to net you 20+ yards every time? Shady got the bulk of his yards on 3 runs, and now you're making it out like every time we handed off it was going to be a home run. You would've criticized Dennison for predictably running the ball while behind if he kept handing off. It's a lose-lose. 

I don't think it will. I am talking matchups here.  I KNOW against that personnel matchup it was at MINIMUM an 8 yard gain. Anyone with any type of rudimentary knowledge could just look at the screen and wonder why a team with a bunch of players where the other team didn't have any players didn't run a play to that area.  that's common sense.  It doesn't even really require any special football knowledge to know that.

I'm not making it out to be like every handoff will be a homerun at all.  I am simply making it out like I understand football and what you do when you have a clear advantage in personnel in that situation. 

Who would criticize an OC for handing it off against a team coming out in a DIME defense on first down with 21 personnel on the field?  Idiots, that's who.

Edited by matter2003

So THAT was the play?  I thought it was about a couple of dozen other ones!  By the way...I was there yesterday...and was SCREAMING for Brandon Tate to take a *&*&&ing knee in the end zone....but no, he just had to keep coming out short of the 25 yard line.  This team is a mess!