Just drafting a good QB might not be enough

Big Turk

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Loved Bradham personally. He was phenomenal that one season under Schwartz.

Yup. This is how I feel...it was always going to be painful, and starting 5-2 might have been the most painful part of the whole deal. 

Yeah, 5-2 fooled a lot of people, maybe including McD and Beane with that Benjamin trade.

If they had started 0-3 and were now 5-5 people would be dancing in the streets and singing their praises.

I am perfectly fine with them drafting a QB in the 1st if the right QB is there at their pick. They are absolutely not in any position to trade away their draft for a QB though, regardless of how important the position is. 

I think that even even if they do draft a QB in the 1st, they will need some type of decent bridge QB for next season. Whether that's Tyrod or not I don't know (he is under contract already), but I just don't want to see a rookie QB ruined by being forced to start too soon with too little talent around him. 

That's what worries me most - there is so little talent on both sides of the ball. You are putting a rookie QB in a bad position if you're asking him to start next year. Even the best QBs in the NFL need talent around them. If you put a 1st or 2nd year QB on the field with this horrid defense and horrid offense (especially the o line) you are just asking for failure IMO. 

So, having said all that I still want a QB in the 1st next year if the right one is there. They just need a decent bridge QB on the team so he isn't forced to start too soon (which will probably happen anyway if the losing piles up). 

All things considered, I guess I would understand if they decided to wait until 2019 to draft a QB, too. 

Just now, KD in CA said:

Yeah, 5-2 fooled a lot of people, maybe including McD and Beane with that Benjamin trade.

If they had started 0-3 and were now 5-5 people would be dancing in the streets and singing their praises.

Their actions certainly lead me to believe they may have bought into that success too much. It's the one out of character move they've made IMO thus far. Everything else I've been pretty on board with, but to not recognize their own plan and send a 3rd for Benjamin...that was weird.

14 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Oh, God no.   Those already calling for coaches to be fired ten games into their regime must want to see yet another roster purge with another new staff.

I don't know why people can't or won't see that every new GM/coaching combo is going to reinvent the team they way they think it should be done.  Every single change comes with a new 3 year plan.   Change your coach, the plan starts back at zero.  That's why Gilmore wasn't signed.  That's why Dareus and Watkins were traded.  That's why Peterman got a start.  Clearly these guys are implementing their 3 year plan by purging guys they don't see fitting long term and planning for how to fill those 10-15 new piece they need over the next couple years.

The only position that can truly accelerate the 3 year plan is QB.  If you find the QB, you can improve more quickly.

Entirely Correct!

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I'm not saying the Bills shouldnt take a QB in the draft as high as possible. They should. I'm just saying it might not be enough to be much better than they are right now initially...maybe similar to the Sabres with Eichel...

Look at some teams who have their franchise QB and how they are faring...

Baltimore and Dallas are 5-5 with the Cowboys getting blown out the last two games. Atlanta isn't that great this year at 5-4 despite tons of talent.  San Diego is 4-6 regardless of how awesome they looked yesterday against us. Oakland is 4-6 and looks lost. Washington is 4-6 with Cousins putting up huge numbers week in and week out. Brees has been putting up huge numbers for years and is a first ballot HOF lock  but had gone several seasons of being .500 or worse before this season. Tampa Bay has been struggling badly even with Winston and is 4-6...Colts have been mediocre to bad even with Luck in the lineup the last couple season's...Panthers were bad last year with Newton...Bengals are 4-6 with Dalton...Ravens are 5-5 with Flacco and while probably will get the wildcard due to their soft remaining schedule are certainly nobody's idea of a good team.

Its in large part about the QB in the NFL but its not ALL about the QB. There are a lot of instances of teams having good QBs and still not being very good record wise...

People think drafting a first round QB is going to solve everything but it isn't. Even if he is really good it likely won't as you can see above...

You get the QB and then you place talent around him. You also do whatever you can to get that talent around him. 

Green Bay is a shining example of how you don't build a team around a QB. Ted Thompson is an awful GM because he really only builds his roster through the draft, he refuses to really sign free agents or make a big free agent signing splash. Hoem grown talent is great, but that needs to be complemented with good free agent signings, which Green Bay hasn't done. 

1 minute ago, Watkins90 said:

You get the QB and then you place talent around him. You also do whatever you can to get that talent around him. 

Green Bay is a shining example of how you don't build a team around a QB. Ted Thompson is an awful GM because he really only builds his roster through the draft, he refuses to really sign free agents or make a big free agent signing splash. Hoem grown talent is great, but that needs to be complemented with good free agent signings, which Green Bay hasn't done. 

Guess what, we have a clone of him here in Beane...

3 hours ago, Marty McFly said:

Thanks to McDumbass the needs for this team are expanded. We now need a new: OC, QB, OT, OG, DT, DT, MLB, SLB, CB, AND NCB. Also a rookie RB to mold in Shadys image for the future.

I think your anger is misplaced.

We more likely would have needed new players at those positions no matter who the head coach was.

7 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

He will shy away more from FAs after Martellus....

Look at:

Texans

Packers

Colts

I've always been a "team is more important than QB" guy but i'm changing my mind. An actual NFL QB can transform a team because it makes everyone else's job so much easier. I don't care what it takes scout like crazy and pick a guy early.

Obviously they are more than a QB away for being a good team.  Anyone watching this season, and the last 3 games in particular, can see that the defense has gone very downhill.  The D seems incapable of stopping either the pass or the run.  The crazy number of take aways in the early season masked it, and won them a few games.  But there are an awful lot of holes on this team.  If they use their impressive stockpile of draft picks to move up to get their pick of the QB litter, it still leaves a great deal of positions lacking on both sides of the ball.  

Before the season began, most understood and believed this was the beginning of a significant rebuild.  Then the takeaway fest began, games were won, and the koolaid started flowing.  Now those on a koolaid high are crashing back down to earth.  But, remember you are back in the same place you were at the start of the season ... in yet another rebuild. Granted the McCoach high has worn off for most as well, but again, he is a first year head coach.  He is in a rebuild himself as well.

Edited by CodeMonkey

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Priority list:

1. Quarterback;

2. Quarterback;

3. Quarterback;

And I don't mean draft 3 before anyone take that.  I just mean it is by far and away the most important priority for the team.  Once we have the Quarterback THEN and only THEN should they worry about what to do next.  

But... as this is just a few fans spitballing on a forum.... I wouldn't spend a single pick in the first 4 rounds this year that wasn't used for the QB on anything other than linemen for both sides.  We have a major need on the D-line.  Pass rusher and interior enforcer are musts.  On the O-Line we need a center (I'm actually in favour of putting Groy in for the rest of the year and evaluating him - Wood has been awful) and if this situation with Cordy lingers much longer then maybe we need a left tackle too.  I'd kick Dion inside to LG and flip Richie, who has been a nice pick up for us but whose best years are behind him, to RG for the final year of his deal. At RT why not get McDermott on the field at this stage and see if he is any part of the answer?  Otherwise I think it is a potential FA target spot.  

Hopefully KB is healthy next year, one of the few positive of the last 3 weeks is the way Zay has played.  His confidence is back and that hand catch he made across the middle from Tyrod yesterday was outstanding. They will likely keep Holmes as a STer and backup WR and I'd be in favour of keeping Deonte too.  Take a shot on a late round guy by all means but don't waste early resource on a receiver in 2018.  

I suspect they will take a linebacker high but I wouldn't.... I'd look for a FA piece, get Milano out there for the rest of this year and take another late round guy in 2018.  I'd extend EJ Gaines for the right money and roll with our current secondary.  We are not getting killed by big outside receivers... we are getting killed by big guys coming out of the slot against Leaonard Johnson.  That is what the Saints did with Thomas and that is what the Chargers did with Allen yesterday too.  So we need to find a better nickel but the outside guys and the safeties are still playing okay... though Poyer apart not quite as well as they were early.  

Being an older team like they are has always confounded me. They must get anybody who is young, and has a chance to improve like Milano, on the field. Agree with you.

Not sure who your QB is, but I would like to either draft Josh Rosen or trade for Andrew Luck(assuming health). I know it is a pipe dream, but we still could end up with the fourth pick and have some ammo.

• Like (+1) 1

This team has HUGE holes at every roster level.

Quarterback....YUCK

Running Back....AGING

O Line.........HORRIBLE with NO young depth

WR....TALL but injured

TE.....OVERPAID and injured

D-Line....HORRIBLE, OVERPAID and NO young depth

LB.......YUCK with NO young depth

D-Back.....ONE promising young player, and the rest on borrowed time and often injured

Please tell me where I am wrong.

5 hours ago, corta765 said:

Realistically this off season they should fill in the draft QB, DT, MLB, and OT. Figure in FA they get SLB and CB, they are left needing OG/DT/NCB plus your RB in Shady's mold although these days you can find RB's in rounds 4-6 #kareemhunt so I wouldn't overdraft for that unless its Barkley. That fills a decent amount of the needs while still needing some help but thats similar to everyone. To me the big key is who the QB is and fixing the middle of the defense which is being run/passed over badly.

For the record I have zero clue if the needs I have filled or happen its just best case hypothetical bs...

I could agree with all those moves but most of all I really hope McDerm has the stones to can Dennison. Dont want him grooming our next 1st round QB.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

This team has HUGE holes at every roster level.

Quarterback....YUCK

Running Back....AGING

O Line.........HORRIBLE with NO young depth

WR....TALL but injured

TE.....OVERPAID and injured

D-Line....HORRIBLE, OVERPAID and NO young depth

LB.......YUCK with NO young depth

D-Back.....ONE promising young player, and the rest on borrowed time and often injured

Please tell me where I am wrong.

Nothing really.Its a shame how this team has gone the last couple years

I hope they spend their top picks on QB and O line talent. Everything else is secondary to that. Competition for the top QBs will be crazy. At least half will end up failing but we need to take a shot at one and give him the best possible O line to help him & the offense succeed.