A measured take on McDermott

Lots of hair on fire posting about McDermott around here today, so I figured I'd add some balance.

Let's start with the personnel moves, good and bad and see if we can dispel the myth that people let go or traded away are going to the playoffs BECAUSE of said people:

1) Watkins: 24 rec, 408 yards, 4 TD on an expiring contract. This move, while universally hated by a certain group of posters is proving to be a good one in my opinion. The guy would have wanted Julio Jones money, while proving to be completely not worth such money.

2) Woods: 47 rec, 703 yards, 4 TD. Unlike watkins, woods is ACTUALLY contributing to his team's success. Letting this guy go was in my opinion a questionable move.  He's a complete player and seems like the kind of guy that McDermott would want. Heart, and football intelligence.

3) Gilmore: 27 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 INT. Letting this clown go was a good idea. He's hardly contributing to his team's success.

4) Darby: 2 games played, 9 tackles 1 INT. Not really a key contributor for the Eagles, getting something for him was a good move.

5) Dareus: This one seems to really get peoples' panties twisted. Too early to say what the impact is. IF they're able to pick up star latouleleleleleile or whatever his name is, I don't think this will have a long-term negative impact on the team.

6) Gillislee: AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Now for incoming guys:

1) Benjamin: this one's a headscratcher for me. If the goal is a teardown to the studs, this move makes no sense.

2) Matthews: Honestly think this was just a throwaway, trading for a pick and an expiring contact for a guy in darby who, as noted above, really hasn't done squat this year.

3) Gaines: I like the guy, but he's brittle.

4) Poyer: resounding success.

5) Hyde: see poyer.

In all, the personnel moves, while controversial, seem to be a net positive. That being said, I think this team lost its sense of direction by winning some flukey games early. What this team needed was a complete insurance arson job, and to gain one of or THE best QB in the draft. I think these guys in charge need time to see what they can do, and I think it's utterly irresponsible to be calling for their heads in YEAR ONE.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The roster moves you listed are hard to argue with, I don't have an issue with those moves.

But the hair on fire reactions are due to the inept coaching. The D is god awful, the O scheme is laughable and the decision to start Peterman is one of the biggest missteps I can think of for any head coach.

So you have some good roster moves and pathetic coaching, when is it alright to panic or write McD off? 

• Like (+1) 1

It looks to me like we have a coach who is willing to make tough (and sometimes unpopular) decisions.  He's no bluster, all action.  Compare that to Ryan who was all bluster no action.  Give the guy time, way too early to judge.

1 minute ago, Buddy Hix said:

The roster moves you listed are hard to argue with, I don't have an issue with those moves.

But the hair on fire reactions are due to the inept coaching. The D is god awful, the O scheme is laughable and the decision to start Peterman is one of the biggest missteps I can think of for any head coach.

So you have some good roster moves and pathetic coaching, when is it alright to panic or write McD off? 

Why?

48 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Lots of hair on fire posting about McDermott around here today, so I figured I'd add some balance.

Let's start with the personnel moves, good and bad and see if we can dispel the myth that people let go or traded away are going to the playoffs BECAUSE of said people:

1) Watkins: 24 rec, 408 yards, 4 TD on an expiring contract. This move, while universally hated by a certain group of posters is proving to be a good one in my opinion. The guy would have wanted Julio Jones money, while proving to be completely not worth such money.

2) Woods: 47 rec, 703 yards, 4 TD. Unlike watkins, woods is ACTUALLY contributing to his team's success. Letting this guy go was in my opinion a questionable move.  He's a complete player and seems like the kind of guy that McDermott would want. Heart, and football intelligence.

3) Gilmore: 27 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 INT. Letting this clown go was a good idea. He's hardly contributing to his team's success.

4) Darby: 2 games played, 9 tackles 1 INT. Not really a key contributor for the Eagles, getting something for him was a good move.

5) Dareus: This one seems to really get peoples' panties twisted. Too early to say what the impact is. IF they're able to pick up star latouleleleleleile or whatever his name is, I don't think this will have a long-term negative impact on the team.

6) Gillislee: AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Now for incoming guys:

1) Benjamin: this one's a headscratcher for me. If the goal is a teardown to the studs, this move makes no sense.

2) Matthews: Honestly think this was just a throwaway, trading for a pick and an expiring contact for a guy in darby who, as noted above, really hasn't done squat this year.

3) Gaines: I like the guy, but he's brittle.

4) Poyer: resounding success.

5) Hyde: see poyer.

In all, the personnel moves, while controversial, seem to be a net positive. That being said, I think this team lost its sense of direction by winning some flukey games early. What this team needed was a complete insurance arson job, and to gain one of or THE best QB in the draft. I think these guys in charge need time to see what they can do, and I think it's utterly irresponsible to be calling for their heads in YEAR ONE.

If the Bills were not looking like a potential playoff team, I don't see the Benjamin trade. 

I agree with everyth8ng in the OP, except I think the Dareus trade may end up like the Peters trade where he's elite for a decade and we got a 6th that will be cut before next season.

I also realize he did not want to be here and we had no choice, but it still sucks.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

This coach and GM need a minimum 4-5 years.

If we do another 2 year switcheroo, I'll lose my ****.

Schwart's defense, Roman's offense, and the team could be good. They had all the pieces, and all they had to do was that.  Blowing it up just buys the coach an excuse for an extra year. Winning is very tough to do and usually comes down to luck and opportunity, not your stupid coaches X's and O's. If you have it, take it.

McD knowing only one way to play football is a very bad sign.

Edited by rant_and_go_returns

Here is my take on him based on results.

Took a bottom 10 defence into a bottom 5 defence. Probably the worst defence if you take away the first 2 games. Congrats McD, it was impressive to one up Rex.

Took an above average offence to bottom 5 in the league because his hire of that idiot Rico. Once again, well done McD.

Preparation and gametime decisions seem to get worse by the week. 

Overall what has he done besides getting 3 or 4 fluky wins?

No he's not going to get fired this year because pegula isn't going to eat another big contract. But I still think if it's this bad for another 6 weeks, they should.

So far he gets an F in my book. Completely in over his head and on top of that, he has most likely lost the locker room

Good take Joe. I agree with most of that. I don't know how this regime will turn out but they haven't even really had their own draft yet. People should give them at least another year or two to see if they turn this ship in the right direction. Most people thought this team would suck and tank. They over achieved. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure how many here have own, run, managed businesses but this is the exact same.  Trying to build a winner in one year is almost impossible in the situation McD was put in.  You make moves for the future, moves for now, and moves for transition.  Its a huge juggling act and sometimes things dont work out, but you do have a goal...or process.

I wanted to see NP have a great game, just because TT was so cautious and boring to watch.  I dont think there was any downside to the trial, if NP is awesome he starts again, if he stinks TT comes in for relief and see what motiviation he has. In my book TT came back and started throwing the ball like he should have all season.  Maybe sitting for a bit set the tone. 

Its not over yet, though I think our chances are almost nothing to get to the post season, and then we have zero chance of winning that game IMO if our D is non existant and we revert to pop warner offense again.  

The point is rebuilds take time, and I think McD is the guy, though the OC needs to go.

• Like (+1) 1

Gotta stick with this rebuild for better or for worse, we just can't keep switching every 2 years.. That is getitng old and isn't working. This one needs to play out over the next 5 years.

I'm depressed

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Why?

Because Peterman has no business on an NFL field, and the fallout from that decision had been severe and threatens to undermine McD's coaching tenure.

How can the team have faith in anything McD says now? How can the Pegulas feel good about giving so much power to a guy who misjudged a players readiness and talent so badly?