A measured take on McDermott

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

I’m already seeing signs from this coaching staff that tells me they won’t get us anywhere either. Keep blabbing about process and wanting to win now and in the future. It’s all just meaningless coach speak. The results speak for themselves. Is anyone going to pretend like we have a clear direction at this point? 

Or perhaps they know they need a top flight qb to compete in this league and the best way to get one is to not win games, if we don't have one the organization will just continue too piss in the wind

Those trying to judge McDermott or this front office after a mere 10 games simply do not understand the Process.  The Process was never going to bear fruit this year.  There are too many hold overs from the previous regime.  Too many vestiges of the old way of doing things.  Until all these people are purged and replaced with new people who are born into the Process, uncorrupted by the old ways, the Process cannot truly take hold.  The Process will take at least a generation and cost thousands of lives, but it will be glorious.  We must not lose sight of the goal and in the meantime maintain our patience and focus on the first of many 5 year plans in this Great Leap Forward to winning.

#Process

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Those trying to judge McDermott or this front office after a mere 10 games simply do not understand the Process.  The Process was never going to bear fruit this year.  There are too many hold overs from the previous regime.  Too many vestiges of the old way of doing things.  Until all these people are purged and replaced with new people who are born into the Process, uncorrupted by the old ways, the Process cannot truly take hold.  The Process will take at least a generation and cost thousands of lives, but it will be glorious.  We must not lose sight of the goal and in the meantime maintain our patience and focus on the first of many 5 year plans in this Great Leap Forward to winning.

#Process

"Some of you may die.........but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make."

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BILLriant said:

Or perhaps they know they need a top flight qb to compete in this league and the best way to get one is to not win games, if we don't have one the organization will just continue too piss in the wind

Then why not cut Tyrod and start Leterman from day 1 if the plan was to tank?

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Then why not cut Tyrod and start Leterman from day 1 if the plan was to tank?

For the small chance that he had simply been poorly coached and could develop into a franchise QB. It's hard to argue against that train of thought. If you see a QB with good mobility and who doesn't throw picks you wonder "If we coach him up properly, could he actually develop as a passer?" Once they realized he is what he is, they made the move to replace him. Unfortunately, the guy behind him is simply not ready to be an NFL QB. 

7 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

It's not as simple as saying, "he played a rookie QB for a half." The Bills were in a playoff spot, the Bills have the longest playoff drought in pro sports, the performance of said rookie was the worst performance ever by a QB.

The decision was ridiculed nationally before the game, and after the game the coverage has been rightfully brutal...the Bills instantly reverted to the laughing stock of pro sports.

And the decision will become a footnote, as I expect McD to become. This team has quit on this coach after 10 games, maybe McD can bring in all new players and succeed but I wouldn't bet on it. Again, how can you have any faith in a coach who misread the situation so severely? Peterman's performance should be raising red flags about McD's ability to gauge anything related to football....and I haven't even discussed his historically bad D, which is supposed to be his strong suit.

McD is here for the foreseeable future, so I hope he is capable of turning things around. But when you consider all the evidence (team quitting, worst D I have ever seen, thinking Peterman is even an option), I just don't see it. We shall see...

Sorry, I see nothing of the sort.

Might they have and may they still squeak into the playoffs? Sure, could happen. If that's what you're in this for then god bless.

3 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

For the small chance that he had simply been poorly coached and could develop into a franchise QB. It's hard to argue against that train of thought. If you see a QB with good mobility and who doesn't throw picks you wonder "If we coach him up properly, could he actually develop as a passer?" Once they realized he is what he is, they made the move to replace him. Unfortunately, the guy behind him is simply not ready to be an NFL QB. 

So then the plan wasn’t to tank? I figured that already. If this team really wanted to guarantee a top pick they could have done that. Now we are just going to get our usual mediocre season where we win enough games to not have a top pick but not enough to make the playoffs. Literally the worst case scenario and the one thing I didn’t want to happen.

Edited by Bangarang

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

So then the plan wasn’t to tank? I figured that already. If this team really wanted to guarantee a top pick they could have done that. Now we are just going to get our usual mediocre season where we win enough games to not have a top pick but enough to make the playoffs. Literally the worst case scenario and the one thing I didn’t want to happen.

I dunno what they honestly were thinking beyond "let's see what we have on this roster and get what we can for who we can." They could have been shopping him around quietly for all I know. 

5 hours ago, joesixpack said:

it isn't :blink:

And come on man. Whaley was TERRIBLE.

Yep. Whaley is responsible for the lack of talent on this team, and McBeane are getting hit with a lot of collateral damage this year from cleaning his mess up.

5 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I dunno what they honestly were thinking beyond "let's see what we have on this roster and get what we can for who we can." They could have been shopping him around quietly for all I know. 

Gotta find out what you have in guys like Vlad Ducasse, Jordan Mills and Mike Tolbert right? 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I mean Tolbert was clearly a "process" guy that was brought in to help change the culture and get people to fall in line with McD. Come on, now you're just spoiling for an argument. 

Theres that magic word again, culture. You know what fixes a team’s culture? Winning football games. If having a bad player in Tolbert is part of fixing the culture then this team is for sure not going anywhere. For years this team has trotted out bad players that were supposed to help fix the culture but it never gets us anywhere. I can deal with growing pains because we have a young roster learning to play together. What I can’t take is bad play from trotting out washed up or garbage veterans because they are good locker room guys but otherwise dont contribute anything to actually improving the product on the field.

Edited by Bangarang

9 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

Bottom line... the team quit in three consecutive games. That is on the coach.

Actually its on the players themselves. They were the ones that decided to quit. This is obviously jmho of course. 

I have heard more players from more teams use "process" in their postgame chats with the media.  It's not indigenous to McDermott.  I do agree the winning could fix a lot of things.  In fact, the Bills winning to get to 5-2 fixed a lot of thoughts that this teams was tanking, the team had enough talent, etc.  Well...the problem is the Bills could not afford to lose ANYBODY to injury.  Once the injuries started hitting the team, the reality of how fragile this roster is hit.  And...the Bills had to rely on more of those old veterans to pick up the slack.  Those old veterans were available and they came relatively cheap, though.  Before the Bills will be in a position to add some younger veterans in addition to their draft picks, they need to free up cap space.  The move of Dareus was for just that reason.  

Beane and McDermott inherited a mess.  They likely knew it would get messier before it got better.   

11 minutes ago, Rico said:

Yep. Whaley is responsible for the lack of talent on this team, and McBeane are getting hit with a lot of collateral damage this year from cleaning his mess up.

When was the last time a Bills personnel department brought in LESS talent in one year than the McD regime has?:doh:

Forget trades and what they lost..........what have they done in the draft, UDFA and free agency?   5-6 players?   What is this a 10 year plan?:lol:

They filled the back of their roster with old special teamers and don't even have anything in development.

35 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Sorry, I see nothing of the sort.

Might they have and may they still squeak into the playoffs? Sure, could happen. If that's what you're in this for then god bless.

The D quit yesterday...

I suppose we will see if the rest of the team does too in the coming weeks.

11 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

No! Fire him now! Everyone deserves death!!

That hat was a literal LOL

10 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Here is my take on him based on results.

Took a bottom 10 defence into a bottom 5 defence. Probably the worst defence if you take away the first 2 games. Congrats McD, it was impressive to one up Rex.

I can only laugh when people say things like “if you took away XYZ games”, as if they didn’t happen...

10 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

But the damage of that Peterman decision has the potential to cast a shadow over everything McD does from here on out.

I disagree - how many of these players will even be here next year?  In two?  

25 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

The D quit yesterday...

I suppose we will see if the rest of the team does too in the coming weeks.

I agree w Cripple Creek - I don’t think they quit, I just think they’re not that good...