Serious questions about McD now

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I know we have a response function now, but OMG I laughed so hard my fam came in to see if I was dying.

This is perfect.  That's exactly McWrestler's streak

AHA!  That's the missing piece.  I didn't know enough about Oakland's personnel to tell if there was a reason why the Bills without Dareus had a good rush D that week.

Do you know if he was missing in Oak's previous poor rushing games?

I'm not saying Oakland has a great running game, but it's not like SD does either. It doesn't help when your best running back is out, however.  No, his numbers aren't great this season, but he's had some good games. Against a sieve D like Buffalo's though, he would likely have put up 100 if the team had decided to feed him the rock. In his last two games, he had 14 carries/57 yds and 2 strong TDs against Miami, and 11 carries/67 yds against NE.  Also, they only ran it 14 times against Buffalo, which in retrospect was a huge coaching error by Del Rio given what we know now.

Edited by dave mcbride

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm not saying Oakland has a great running game, but it's not like SD does either. It doesn't help when your best running back is out, however.  No, his numbers aren't great this season, but he's had some good games. Against a sieve D like Buffalo's though, he would likely have put up 100 if the team had decided to feed him the rock. In his last two games, he had 14 carries/57 yds and 2 strong TDs against Miami, and 11 carries/67 yds against NE.  Also, they only ran it 14 times against Buffalo, which in retrospect was a huge coaching error by Del Rio given what we know now.

Also Oakland had also already installed their gameplan prior to the trade.

People make light of the % of snaps Dareus played but when he was in there he made it very difficult to run on the Bills and OC's seek paths of lesser resistance when game planning.

29 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Having had the opportunity to watch Ron Rivera go through the  first time HC growth process in Charlotte, I hate to tell some of you but it takes years.

Is he good? Beats the heck out of me but my gut feeling is, with the right OC and the right players the potential is there.

There were people on this board calling for Ryan to get more time at the end of last year.

These guys haven’t even run their own draft yet and it’s already time to can him? I think that is pretty hasty.

I’m definitely ready to give McBean all of next year before even suggesting this is a failed experiment. If at this point next year they have had an above average draft and the picks are showing the growth one would hope to see by the second half of the season, I’ll be ready to have more patience .

Ron Rivera inherited a 2-14 team and won 4 more games in is first year.

SM inherited a 7-9 team, traded away 3 of the best players who were 25 & younger,  benched his qb when they were 5-4, and the team looks worse than last year. 

Not exactly apples to apples. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Also Oakland had also already installed their gameplan prior to the trade.

People make light of the % of snaps Dareus played but when he was in there he made it very difficult to run on the Bills and OC's seek paths of lesser resistance when game planning.

I honestly didn't think that the Dareus trade would make much of a difference at the time. He only had one sack before he was gone. But Dareus' best skill set was stuffing the run or at least forcing opposing rbs to run around him where others would make the tackle for minimal gains. Dareus was never going to be a monster sacker of QBs, just too heavy.  I remember back in 1990 seeing Bruce Smith out on the town at the Late Show in NF and I couldn't believe how huge the guy was. He was a man mountain. Dareus outweighs Bruce by 70lbs!! and is almost the same height 6ft3!  They now have a more space (literally) in that defensive line because Washington is much smaller than Dareus. Its looking like a bad move by Beane and Co now because they really didn't have a plan B. In addition the late round pick they got for Dareus  was not acceptable.  It just further adds to the questions surrounding this regime's competency.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I know we have a response function now, but OMG I laughed so hard my fam came in to see if I was dying.

This is perfect.  That's exactly McWrestler's streak

AHA!  That's the missing piece.  I didn't know enough about Oakland's personnel to tell if there was a reason why the Bills without Dareus had a good rush D that week.

Do you know if he was missing in Oak's previous poor rushing games?

?

Coming into that game the BeaSt was averaging 1.5 yards per play.

16 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Its pretty scary how things turned out for Nathan Peterman in his first start but I am really concerned about what this debacle of a game exposes about McD and Beane.  A few observations/questions trying to understand today's disaster.

1.If you benched TT in reaction to a pathetic offensive performance vs The Jets and Saints then I can kind of understand the rationale to a point but TT has had some good games this season why give up on him when you are still in a playoff position? That shows a scary lack of poise and patience in a HC.

2. What scares me much more is that either McD or Beane thought Peterman was ready to start. He looked absolutely in over his head. The fact that they believed he could succeed when he was that inept is stunning. If you watch Peterman’s mechanics in that game he is basically telegraphing where he is throwing the ball to allowing the dbs time to get there. He is not sensing the blitz and overthrowing his receivers.  Totally nervous and not ready. If they actually believed he was ready they must be delusional or intensely bad judges of talent.

3. If you benched TT to light a fire under him to perform down the stretch well I guess you got his attention, but to do it when the playoffs are in sight? Really bad idea. 

4. Did they bench TT because they were afraid as Vic Carucci said that he would lead them into the playoffs and they don’t see him as part of the future?  So they would actually deny us the chance at the playoffs to further their "process" .  Then McD and Beane are truly evil and against anything this fan base holds dear.

5. If they benched TT because they wanted to distract from a horrendous defense effort then they are simply morons.

6. Why in the hell if you are putting a rookie in to start do you not work with Dennison to call the simplest game plan ever. McCoy should have been used non stop, simple passes to keep the defense honest. It seemed to me that Dennison’s game plan was a little too much for Peterman to accomplish and once they were down it put Peterman into an impossible position.

7. If you knew how bad our O line has been in the last 2 weeks with an elusive mobile QB then why the hell would you put a less mobile pocket passer in?? That was suicidal. Beyond stupid. Peterman tooks some incredible hits that led to at least 2 of his INTS. Once again this seriously questions McD’s intelligence.

The bottom line is that this game has exposed McD and Beane in multiple ways and they have egg all over their faces. Although I was skeptical, I thought McD was an upgrade on Rex’s gong show. Now I am not so sure. It seems like he could be just as much as a fraud.

No. 7 nails it for me.  If you are a coach and objectively look at the film and get that you need to change the QB to a more stationary passer and do not feel the need to address the OLine being less competent than a blocking sled, then you are just terrible at what you do.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

?

Coming into that game the BeaSt was averaging 1.5 yards per play.

Stats in pro football reference say different.  He did have a couple bad games, including v. Den with 1.33 Y/A, but otherwise, apparently incorrect

Edit: that's not to say Oak has a great run game, even with Lynch playing.  But he is their best back, and he is good for more than that still.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

15 hours ago, wppete said:

McDermott is an awful coach. We have seen enough of him all his scripted talk nonesense. He has to go.

This is a clear overreaction. This team has some of the worst talent I've ever seen, the right side of the O-line is beyond worse than the bottom of the barrel and we have no D-line at all. McDermott has put together some terrible game plans this season. This team has been on a 3-year plan to win and the FO mismanaged the season when we started winning. Now we're going to have to tank the rest of the season just to keep a top 2 QB in our sights.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I've been critical of SM but I think he could be a good coach.  I just think he has too much power and no one to check him.

i honestly believe him and Whaley would have worked really well together.  Perhaps Whaley could have told him instead of trading Dareus for a 6th in the middle of a playoff run that they should wait until the offense.

But We are trusting SM with far too much for a first time head coach.  

I don't know about Whaley.  I was tired of the whose decision was it? follies that seemed to be endemic.

But I'm deeply concerned about McWrestler and Mr Beane's player personnel evaluation judgement at this point.

5 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

This is a clear overreaction. This team has some of the worst talent I've ever seen, the right side of the O-line is beyond worse than the bottom of the barrel and we have no D-line at all. McDermott has put together some terrible game plans this season. This team has been on a 3-year plan to win and the FO mismanaged the season when we started winning. Now we're going to have to tank the rest of the season just to keep a top 2 QB in our sights.

I don't get wanting to lose, now or ever, because the draft is no guarantee, and if you don't have the right coach to develop those players, then it doesn't really matter how you well you draft.  Keeping players engaged and wanting to be part of the team because of good coaching and gameplanning, while you develop younger players is a good path out of a playoff drought, but losing to gain draft position is the biggest red herring in sports, especially football where you've got to coach and coordinate 53 players and over 24 starters (including Special Teams).  One player at QB can certainly change things some, but it's not going to cure bad coaching, bad line play and a lack of talent around the QB.  One or two drafts aren't going to fix everything either, especially when players may have completely checked out of being a part of the organization after nose diving at the midpoint of the season.

All I'm going to say is - 

It's not just one game. It's been a series of questionable moves, culminated by the last two which finally BLEW UP in their faces: Dareus trade, and starting Peterman against the best pass rushers in the league.

So, what this does is put into doubt the quality of the football minds that are guiding this franchise, their evaluation process, their JUDGEMENT.  Because both the HC and GM are rookies, and the owners just FIRED the prior two I don't think they fire these two at the end of this year. They are going to get at least another year, if not two more. So we are potentially looking at 2 or 3 years of Beane and McDermott at the very least.

And that is potentially disastrous for Bills for the foreseeable future.

Edited by CanadianFan

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

McBean have also traded way our best talent on this team. Its all McBean doing. they need to go.

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

I honestly didn't think that the Dareus trade would make much of a difference at the time. He only had one sack before he was gone. But Dareus' best skill set was stuffing the run or at least forcing opposing rbs to run around him where others would make the tackle for minimal gains. Dareus was never going to be a monster sacker of QBs, just too heavy.  I remember back in 1990 seeing Bruce Smith out on the town at the Late Show in NF and I couldn't believe how huge the guy was. He was a man mountain. Dareus outweighs Bruce by 70lbs!! and is almost the same height 6ft3!  They now have a more space (literally) in that defensive line because Washington is much smaller than Dareus. Its looking like a bad move by Beane and Co now because they really didn't have a plan B. In addition the late round pick they got for Dareus  was not acceptable.  It just further adds to the questions surrounding this regime's competency.

I remember the Late Show :lol:

Yeah.......they have made a lot of poor roster decisions.

The salary cap excuse is weak..........they weren't critically crippled for cap space as it's depicted........they just went overboard.

In any event........everyone has a process until they get punched in the mouth.

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ron Rivera inherited a 2-14 team and won 4 more games in is first year.

SM inherited a 7-9 team, traded away 3 of the best players who were 25 & younger,  benched his qb when they were 5-4, and the team looks worse than last year. 

Not exactly apples to apples. 

He was 6-10 the first season and only won 7 in his second.

He was BIG TIME on the hot seat here at the end of his second season and many thought he was as a lock to be fired.

He was Ultra conservative those first couple years and the team kept losing close games because of it, as well as, the teams slow starts.

Maybe you remember him gifting us the EJ comeback game when Tolbert was killing us on the final drive. Instead of going for it on 4 and 1 he kicked the field goal( Tolbert would have gotten it) and EJ brought us back for the TD.

He was catching the same kinda grief you guys are giving McD that season.

Season three he became “ Riverboat Ron” and started to gamble a lot more. IE : He grew and evolved.

So, now for the snark: I guess a bunch here would be happy with 6-10 and 7-9.

Not me and I don’t hate a rookie coach for throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. Guns blazing Brothers!!!

This regime is terrible. Boneheaded decision after boneheaded decision. 

There's no way that McDermott hasn't completely lost this team. They got rid of player after player this offseason.  He benched their only decent QB for a 5th round rookie disaster. It's like they were winning too much so they decided to tank. 

Then, to come out today, and say Peterman did some "darn good" things, not commit to Tyrod, not take responsibility for making a terrible decision, but say that you are evaluating? Seriously? 

I realize probably the worst thing you can do is make a knee-jerk reaction to a coach and not let them establish their systems, and the Bills have done that WAY too much, but when you lose the team 11 weeks in on a decision like this, I think it's time for a change.

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

Coaches have to take decisions. Sometimes they work..sometimes they don't.  Sean felt that TT was not inspiring his team as the leader.  He was throwing 3 yards when you had a 3rd and 10.  Yesterday, TT was sharper because he understood that he had to take risks.  When he took risk it paid off as well as bombed (the fumble return for TD).  The issue with TT has been that he needs his WRs to be open before he throws.  That does not cut it 

TT is the best QB on this team now. But he is not enough to win a championship, especially with this team that has so many holes.  At the end talent and hard work wins championships.  We need to improve the talent.  The coaches then mold that talent to have a single work ethic and that is what takes them to the next level.

Revisionist history to fit your narrative that most TT haters use. All u need to know is 5 picks vs none and TT won the second half, 17-14, with the same BS OL line and no Benjamin - and same D. He needs to have WRs open before he throws so HE DOESN'T THROW 5 PICKS !!!

The fumble was clearly because Dennison refuses to play to TTs strength which is throwing while rolling the pocket in and obvious throwing down.

He picks up the 3rd down there with his legs if no ones open as often as with a throw.

As soon as folks can see that's good and not bad - with this O-Line, the better.

The rest of the NFL gets it.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, SoTier said:

They didn't "inherit" a tire fire, they created it.  Zach Brown, Ronald Darby, Marcel Dareus, Mike Gillislee, Stephon Gilmore, Marquise Goodwin, Sammy Watkins, and Robert Woods all left, via trade or FA, on their watch.

:huh:Did they? -Or did Pegs do that when he let Schwartz walk for the Ryan Brothers?

-Beane didn't start the fire... It was always burning since the world's been turning.