To everyone who was so adamant that the Bills start Peterman

Billsfan1972

17 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Troy Aikman

Drafted: No. 1 overall by the Dallas Cowboys in 1989.

First start: Loss (28-0) to the Saints in Week 1 of 1989; 17 of 35 (48.6 percent) for 180 yards, zero touchdowns, two interceptions, two sacks and a passer rating of 40.2.

Aikman -- whom I helped scout and draft 

Alex Smith

Drafted: No. 1 overall by the San Francisco 49ers in 2005.

First start: Loss (28-3) to the Colts in Week 5 of 2005; 9 of 23 (39.1 percent) for 74 yards, zero touchdowns, four interceptions, five sacks and a passer rating of 8.5.

Smith is very smart, but it took time for that to translate to the NFL gridiron. He had a horrifically bad rookie year, taking 29 sacks and throwing 11 picks in just nine games (seven starts) while posting a sub-40 passer rating four times. Smith didn't find the end zone until the final game of the season, a 20-17 win over Houston. He seemed reluctant to throw downfield and didn't break out of checkdown mode for years.

It wasn't that Smith, who was neck and neck with Aaron Rodgers in my pre-draft scouting as a prospect, lacked talent. I think a key factor was that he just didn't get as lucky as other guys did in terms of the kind of coaching he received as a rookie. When Jim Harbaugh arrived in 2011, he turned Smith into a good quarterback, and the signal-caller has continued to thrive with the Chiefs under Andy Reid. Just look at his numbers since '11: 38-15-1 record with a TD-to-INT ratio of 71:23.

Fran Tarkenton

Drafted: No. 29 overall (third round) by the Minnesota Vikings in 1961.

First start: Loss (21-7) to the Cowboys in Week 2 of 1961; 8 of 24 (33.3 percent) for 117 yards, zero touchdowns, two interceptions, three sacks and a passer rating of 15.5.

Tarkenton's first official start paled in comparison to what he accomplished in his true debut the week before, when he came off the bench to complete 74 percent of his passes for 250 yards and contribute five touchdowns (four in the air and one on the ground) to a 37-13 win over the Bears -- the first ever victory for the Vikings franchise. The rest of his season was a bit rockier, as he went 2-8 in 10 starts while posting a TD-to-INT ratio of 18:17 over 14 games. He had mixed results over the next few years before being traded to the Giants in 1967. This, he recently told me in a conversation on the phone, is when he turned his career around, installing the offense himself and calling the plays in New York as a 27-year-old quarterback; he credits himself as being the person most 

Urrr, shouldn't you have a link and an attribution here?  I really don't think you want us to think you think you'll be selling us on your pre-draft scouting and drafting of Aikman, Aaron Rodgers, and your convos with Tarkenton

Links and attributions, do the Right Thing

6 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If Peterman had any one of those debuts he would be starting this week and wouldn't have been benched at halftime. Even 1-8 with an injury. Those crappy games are the equivalent of Phil Simms in the Superbowl relative to Peterman's implosion. 

Peterman didn't play a full game & he wasn't a high draft pick either

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Peterman didn't play a full game & he wasn't a high draft pick either

All the more reason he shouldn't have been started.  However I'd be worried about Dallas right now if I was a Dallas fan.  Dak was a low pick and their backup is a rookie UFA.

11 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No three weeks and hasn't scored 10 points in any game........  He'd be done in Buffalo..... 8 Ints & 3 fumbles last 3 games.

Lets see, Taylor 3 points vs Carolina and the Saints, 16 points vs Cinci with a 23 yd touchdown drive and a 2-yard field goal drive. Awesome 3 game output there!

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

All the more reason he shouldn't have been started.  However I'd be worried about Dallas right now if I was a Dallas fan.  Dak was a low pick and their backup is a rookie UFA.

Damn, I am sure the fans in New England and Seatle want their started booted cause of where they were picked. You are Scott are truly special.

On 11/20/2017 at 9:37 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

And that anyone saying otherwise knew nothing about how bad Tyrod is and the stupidity of all the experts who don't watch the Bills.......

Explain away.......

Pretty much everyone knew - based on what we saw in preseason - that Tyrod was the best on the team at least at that time. Many probably hoped Peterman had improved as much as McDermott implied but it was wildly doubted even by folks like me who hope Tyrod isn't here next year.

Few were adamant he start Peterman.

Plenty thought it pretty likely before the end of the season. 

As for explaining, not much to explain. We should be valuing long-term results over what happens this year in my opinion and that of plenty of others. I figured Tyrod offered the best chance to win games this year. Again, most did. Can't speak for others but I personally didn't care about this year. It was obvious that we weren't going to compete for a championship this year, pretty much from last season. 

They tried to middle it by rebuilding but not totally, trying to win in the future and now. And yet each of those two goals hurt the other. Tyrod was the best QB on the roster. We still should've dumped him in my opinion to save cap money and because he isn't ever going to be a franchise guy. Instead we kept him and now we have five wins and may come up with two or three more, which will hurt our chances of getting one of the best QBs in the draft.

12 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Anyone watching Dak Prescott today?  Putrid the last 3 weeks (2 home), much worse then Tyrod with much better talent.  They have an undrafted rookie that they should start next week......

One of the many differences being Dak is in his second year, not his seventh. I don't know whether Dak is good enough. I seriously hope not.

But I believe that we know about Tyrod. Who by the way had a terrific run game beside him all of last year too.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Lets see, Taylor 3 points vs Carolina and the Saints, 16 points vs Cinci with a 23 yd touchdown drive and a 2-yard field goal drive. Awesome 3 game output there!

Damn, I am sure the fans in New England and Seatle want their started booted cause of where they were picked. You are Scott are truly special.

Are you that daft?  We are talking 3 games in a row........  8 Ints & 3 fumbles.....  I was pointing out just how bad Dak is, the league probably has caught up to him and he has a much better team & receivers.

Obviously Dallas hoped they had the second coming of Tom Brady (and the exact same situation).

Dallas I think misses Romo about now.

Hope too Dak becomes a serviceable QB.  A star the jury is still out on.

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Are you that daft?  We are talking 3 games in a row........  8 Ints & 3 fumbles.....  I was pointing out just how bad Dak is, the league probably has caught up to him and he has a much better team & receivers.

Obviously Dallas hoped they had the second coming of Tom Brady (and the exact same situation).

Dallas I think misses Romo about now.

Hope too Dak becomes a serviceable QB.  A star the jury is still out on.

so let me get this straight, as long as Taylor has an okay game interspersed with bad games no need for him to be replaced?

Okee  Dokey!

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

so let me get this straight, as long as Taylor has an okay game interspersed with bad games no need for him to be replaced?

Okee  Dokey!

Again Dak is three in a row (2 at home).

No when  I don't see play calling or a game plan that looks anything more then pedestrian and predictable, I won't put all the blame on Taylor.  

Heck give the Bills OC & credit vs. LAC.  At least they tried to be aggressive and the results with Peterman were as expected.  

Again unfair to ask him to process and be at all prepared (not because he only had 3 days before someone uses that tired argument) because he is a 5th round rookie and they just are not ready........

Edited by Billsfan1972

18 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No three weeks and hasn't scored 10 points in any game........  He'd be done in Buffalo..... 5 Ints (all last 2) & 3 fumbles last 3 games.

House and plenzmd1 are typical of fans that don't follow the rest of NFL but think Taylor must be awful.

Dak has looked like a system QB fish out of water.......he loses one or two key players and he's totally hamstrung.........but Taylor?  He keeps getting talent subtracted and he's expected to get BETTER by these clowns.:lol:

Marcus Mariotta is an example of a "franchise QB" that has been awful this year.........3 year starter.......8 TD's and 10 interceptions........very inaccurate throws........but off the top of their heads I'm sure they would have have assumed he was having a great year.

Who are all these QB's that are better than Taylor?

When you say that they get to stuttering..........then "it doesn't matter cuz Taylor isn't good enough".:blink:

Point out that Peterman WAS historically bad......worst performance in half a century of NFL QB play..........and plenzmd1 says "well Taylor was historically bad" when in no way was that the case.:lol:

How about fielding a good defense for a season AND at least temporarily building your offense around his strengths a bit?   Doesn't have to hinder the next QB.   I am sure the next QB would like a guy who can actually get separation and track a deep ball and catch it on a 9 route once in a while.:doh:

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

House and plenzmd1 are typical of fans that don't follow the rest of NFL but think Taylor must be awful.

Dak has looked like a system QB fish out of water.......he loses one or two key players and he's totally hamstrung.........but Taylor?  He keeps getting talent subtracted and he's expected to get BETTER by these clowns.:lol:

Marcus Mariotta is an example of a "franchise QB" that has been awful this year.........3 year starter.......8 TD's and 10 interceptions........very inaccurate throws........but off the top of their heads I'm sure they would have have assumed he was having a great year.

When you say that they get to stuttering..........then "it doesn't matter cuz Taylor isn't good enough".:blink:

Point out that Peterman WAS historically bad......worst performance in half a century of NFL QB play..........and plenzmd1 says "well Taylor was historically bad" when in no way was that the case.:lol:

How about fielding a good defense for a season AND at least temporarily building your offense around his strengths a bit?   Doesn't have to hinder the next QB.   I am sure the next QB would like a guy who can actually get separation and track a deep ball and catch it on a 9 route once in a while.:doh:

Just because Peterman's first outing couldn't have gone worse doesn't mean Taylor's performance against the Saints wasn't historically awful. It was the worst performance by a Bills QB at home that I have ever seen. He deserved to be benched. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for Peterman. But he'll get another opportunity starting with the Colts game in a couple weeks.

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Just because Peterman's first outing couldn't have gone worse doesn't mean Taylor's performance against the Saints wasn't historically awful. It was the worst performance by a Bills QB at home that I have ever seen. He deserved to be benched. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for Peterman. But he'll get another opportunity starting with the Colts game in a couple weeks.

That's an exaggeration.  Was it terrible?  Yes however 9-18 a few drops and a deflected int s no where near that bad.  How about 300 yards rushing by NO.  You're ignoring what really happened.

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That's an exaggeration.  Was it terrible?  Yes however 9-18 a few drops and a deflected int s no where near that bad.  How about 300 yards rushing by NO.  You're ignoring what really happened.

Not an exaggeration at all. In a game where the defense is getting gashed, Taylor decides checking down on 3rd and long multiple times is the best strategy. He didn't even try. I'd rather see five interceptions in a half any day than 56 yards passing with checkdowns in a blowout. At least when someone throws multiple pick it shows he's trying to make plays.

Which performance would you consider worse?

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dak has done more in one season than Taylor's done his whole career.     

I'd chill on the Dak slander, until Tyrod accomplishes anything beyond 5th pro bowl alternate. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Not an exaggeration at all. In a game where the defense is getting gashed, Taylor decides checking down on 3rd and long multiple times is the best strategy. He didn't even try. I'd rather see five interceptions in a half any day than 56 yards passing with checkdowns in a blowout. At least when someone throws multiple pick it shows he's trying to make plays.

Which performance would you consider worse?

He hit Thompson on a long pass on third and 1 that would have gone for 40 yards and he dropped it.  Was only 17-3 at he time.  

Another time in the first half Tolbert was stuffed again on third and1.

Yep Tyrod's fault.