Are we able to get anything for Tyrod?

The Tomcat

39 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

He's a gimmick QB that can't or won't do anything from the pocket. He's been figured out. Just like RG3 et al. 

I disagree with that. TT has proven himself to be an average QB over 2.5 years. If you even want to say slightly below average i'll grant you that, but he doesn't suck.

RG3 was amazing his first year and sucked after that because defences started to catch on to what he was doing. Remember in 2012 the offence that Washington ran with him was almost brand new at the time, and was pretty much a college playbook. D coordinators simply were not prepared for it that first year.

TT if anything got slightly better the 2nd year, and probably stayed the same this year which is a problem because it wasn't good enough.  He also stayed the same or even slightly regressed this year because it was a new offensive system that does not fit for him.

TT needs a simple offence tailored towards him for him to be successful. You can say he is limited, but he's not a gimmick QB like RG3

Edited by billsfan11

5 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I disagree with that. TT has proven himself to be an average QB over 2.5 years. If you even want to say slightly below average i'll grant you that, but he doesn't suck.

RG3 was amazing his first year and sucked after that because defences started to catch on to what he was doing. Remember in 2012 the offence that Washington ran with him was almost brand new at the time, and was pretty much a college playbook. D coordinators simply were not prepared for it that first year.

TT if anything got slightly better the 2nd year, and probably stayed the same this year which is a problem because it wasn't good enough.  He also stayed the same or even slightly regressed this year because it was a new offensive system that does not fit for him.

TT needs a simple offence tailored towards him for him to be successful. You can say he is limited, but he's not a gimmick QB like RG3

I think 20-18 was pretty decent for this team. If people think the Bills have had more than average talent since the Pegulas bought the team, they haven't. The roster this season is probably a little below average. Maybe Peterman provides a needed spark.

2 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

I think 20-18 was pretty decent for this team. If people think the Bills have had more than average talent since the Pegulas bought the team, they haven't. The roster this season is probably a little below average. Maybe Peterman provides a needed spark.

Well said, I agree

1 minute ago, JM2009 said:

...he'll get a job......the NFL is ripe with mediocrity and clubs willing to SIGNIFICANTLY overpay for it.......some of these 1st round picks in the last 8-10 years wouldn't even be UDFA's yesteryear......the free fall of QB quality, THE most important position on the field is mind boggling.................

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...he'll get a job......the NFL is ripe with mediocrity and clubs willing to SIGNIFICANTLY overpay for it.......some of these 1st round picks in the last 8-10 years wouldn't even be UDFA's yesteryear......the free fall of QB quality, THE most important position on the field is mind boggling.................

There's really a famine of good starting NFL QBs after the ones we are used to retire.

Edited by JM2009

1 minute ago, JM2009 said:

There's really a famine of good starting NFL QBs after the ones we are used too retire.

....when Eli, Palmer, Brady ,Big Ben, Rivers, etc retire (all closer than we think), the Old Guard will be gone and then see how uglier the position gets.....Rodgers will carry on .....Luck's career is in jeopardy thanks to the Indy Clusterf*^k that has destroyed the kid.........hell we could see the likes of Jimmy Pickle, Victoria Bradley or even a comeback by Brady "Still In The Green Room" Quinn return to prominence.....maybe Jeff George, Vinny T or Cunningham are resurrected......paging JP Losman......

Taylor is a good QB.  He is not a great QB.  He is a good fit for a team with a strong defense and a good running game.  He can move the chains and not turn the ball over.  He throws a good deep ball.  He does not "throw receivers open" and he does not "throw to a spot."  He is not a great passing QB and he cannot "make all the throws."  His elusiveness and running ability picks up a lot of first downs and compensates for his unwillingness to release the ball before a guy is open.

Thus, I think he is a good QB, but he is limited.  He is good in a system that is designed to work with his skill set.

He played very poorly last Sunday and took too many sacks against the Jests.

I'll go there - if Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer can be Super Bowl winning QBs, so can Taylor.  But he has to be in the right situation.  Maybe with a different OC, it might work, but we have who we have and it isn't working.  The current Bills team is not the right situation and the team is making the right move to see what Peterman has.

We will not get any compensation for him because the trading deadline has passed and teams already know that we will be moving on from him in the offseason.  Might someone give us a 6th or 7th before the cut deadline to secure his rights?  Maybe, but we are not getting compensation to the his value as a player (a starter in the right environment and a solid backup in pretty much any environment).

I'm supportive of the move to Peterman, but I am not supportive of those on this board who want to crap all over Tyrod.  Why?  What benefit do they gain from it?  Tyrod is a classy guy who is a good team player, works hard and gives his all.  Yes, he gets paid to do those things, but many others get paid to do those things and don't.  Go ahead and crap on the guys who beat their wives, are lazy, knowingly take drugs when they know they risk getting suspended, etc.

I wish Tyrod well. 

Go Nate!  I will be there Sunday and look forward to him getting the ball out quickly to his big WR's and forcing the Chargers to take the 8th man out of the box, which will open up the running game for Shady!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Since we're past the trade deadline for this season, we're talking about an offseason trade.  Buffalo would need to pay a sizable bonus to retain Tyrod.  Other teams know that.  For a team to consider a trade to acquire Tyrod, they would really need to covet him a lot, enough that they would not want to risk losing him to another team in the free agent signing competition, because it will surely be known that if Buffalo can't trade him, they will let him walk in free agency rather than pay a big bonus.

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

It's very similar if not identical, though RG 3 ran even more than Taylor. I'm recalling a Redskins game after which Steve Young referenced himself when he was younger and said he believed RG3 was in the same situation. He has talent, but needs to learn that you have to make plays from the pocket to have NFL success. This is precisely the issue with Taylor. Tony Romo, Rhonde Barber and Sean Payton have all made comments about this in recent weeks. Taylor just doesn't make plays  from the pocket often enough to stop D coordinators from defending him. Believe what you wish, but Taylor is a gimmick QB until he beats teams passing from the pocket. That's what the NFL still is about today. 

CafeParts: Coffee Hopper
Part No.: 12909 (more info)
Description: Coffee Hopper
Price: $129.99clippy.svgIth 
Edited by Boatdrinks

3 hours ago, PABillsfan23 said:

What’s this value you speak of?  A bad QB with a 18 million salary next year along with a 6 million bonus on the 3rd day of the new year.  

No team is giving up anything for him 

Not when you can have Tom Savage or Brock Osweiller.

26 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It's very similar if not identical, though RG 3 ran even more than Taylor. I'm recalling a Redskins game after which Steve Young referenced himself when he was younger and said he believed RG3 was in the same situation. He has talent, but needs to learn that you have to make plays from the pocket to have NFL success. This is precisely the issue with Taylor. Tony Romo, Rhonde Barber and Sean Payton have all made comments about this in recent weeks. Taylor just doesn't make plays  from the pocket often enough to stop D coordinators from defending him. Believe what you wish, but Taylor is a gimmick QB until he beats teams passing from the pocket. That's what the NFL still is about today. 

Respectfully disagree.

Over .500 QB for 2.5 years is not a gimmick in my opinion. He stayed consistent throughout.

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

if Dareus can only get a 6th surely taylor should get a 7th or likely outright released?

I'd guess likely outright released.  Other teams will know we're done with Tyrod and that we will want to release him to free up some cap space.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Maybe our definition of gimmick is also different. Here are RG3S stats.

2012 he went 9-6 as a starter.

After that? 6-19. That to me is a definition of a gimmick QB who was figured out.

TT's stats. 2015- 8-6 record- 3025 passing yards, 20 TD, 6 INT

2016- 7-8 record- 3023 passing yards, 17 TD, 6 INT

2017-5-4 record- 10 TD, 3 INT (Not enough games to show yards but they are down of course)

Pretty consistent compared to having one great year, then completely falling off the wagon like RG3.