Thanksgiving Meal: Whatcha Cooking?

Jauronimo

Smoked turkey (brined 24 hours and smoked over apple and hickory for 3 hours--finished in the oven)

Sweet potato casserole with pecan crumble 

Citrus-based cranberry sauce 

Roasted Brussels sprouts 

Traditional stuffing

My wife is making pumpkin and apple pies, and I'm sure my dad's girlfriend will make some kind of unseasoned dish that's tantamount to eating air.

Also, gotta have the costanzo rolls.

Edited by thebandit27

I do not know whole list but my wife (who is Chinese) is cooking a duck and a fresh one (with head and feet she warned me) for Thanksgiving.  I like turkey fine but family doesn't and I do like duck better.  I know some yams, some corn,  probably some biscuits and not sure what else for there are only three of us and we do not eat that much.

25 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I do not know whole list but my wife (who is Chinese) is cooking a duck and a fresh one (with head and feet she warned me) for Thanksgiving.  I like turkey fine but family doesn't and I do like duck better.  I know some yams, some corn,  probably some biscuits and not sure what else for there are only three of us and we do not eat that much.

Very nice on the whole duck! As I mentioned, we are going out and wife has already said no turkey for her! 

If i had option, i would be 100% duck over turkey

30 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Very nice on the whole duck! As I mentioned, we are going out and wife has already said no turkey for her! 

If i had option, i would be 100% duck over turkey

Is this one of those iPhone auto-corrects?

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

How do you people manage to cook all these different dishes, and keep them all warm until chow time?  Do you have like 12 ovens in your home?  Do you use crock pots?

We have a GIANT single oven and six burners. We did a 23 lb bird plus a slightly smaller bird last year, at the same time. But I really want a double oven plus a warming drawer. You need to be able to handle different temps at times. Probably use the smaller side 98% of the time, but I want that option. (The big old thing takes a long time to heat up.) 

I have permission to be house shopping, and that would be on the list. I wouldn’’t even consider a place if it didn’t have gas. This is my first house with a gas cooktop, and there’s no going back! 

Oh, and we find ways to use the grill to keep things warm. Having a grill hooked to the natural gas of the house is awesome! You never run out half way through cooking chicken. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

We have a GIANT single oven and six burners. We did a 23 lb bird plus a slightly smaller bird last year, at the same time. But I really want a double oven plus a warming drawer. You need to be able to handle different temps at times. Probably use the smaller side 98% of the time, but I want that option. (The big old thing takes a long time to heat up.) 

I have permission to be house shopping, and that would be on the list. I wouldn’’t even consider a place if it didn’t have gas. This is my first house with a gas cooktop, and there’s no going back! 

Oh, and we find ways to use the grill to keep things warm. Having a grill hooked to the natural gas of the house is awesome! You never run out half way through cooking chicken. 

If I was house shopping, I would want a house that 100% needs a kitchen remodel, cause I have very definite ideas on how I want mine configured, and ain't no house prolly gunna have the way i want. So I would not worry about the gas line in the kitchen, just that gas CAN get to the kitchen with a remodel.

Learned so much from our kitchen redo about 8 years ago, one of the keys being fancy, expensive  Euro appliances and plumbing suck, and for the most part good solid middle of the road appliances from solid American manufactures prolly the way to go!  

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Not only do I not have a gas range, but I've got one of those glasstop ones.  Hate it.  Once it dies, I'll switch to gas in a heartbeat.

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

If I was house shopping, I would want a house that 100% needs a kitchen remodel, cause I have very definite ideas on how I want mine configured, and ain't no house prolly gunna have the way i want. So I would not worry about the gas line in the kitchen, just that gas CAN get to the kitchen with a remodel.

Learned so much from our kitchen redo about 8 years ago, one of the keys being fancy, expensive  Euro appliances and plumbing suck, and for the most part good solid middle of the road appliances from solid American manufactures prolly the way to go!  

The appliance repair guy (he’d know) told me Viking is nothing but a fancy name and a giant price tag. But a gold mine for him! Wolf is a little better. We have Thermadore, and it’s terrific for me. I believe you. 

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Not only do I not have a gas range, but I've got one of those glasstop ones.  Hate it.  Once it dies, I'll switch to gas in a heartbeat.

My mother had one of those, and we rented a place for a year with one. It was so hard to clean it made me not want to cook!  

We had figured out how to run a gas line into our kitchen in Florida, which would have made it my dream house. Even bought the cooktop. Then we sold the house and moved to Atlanta before ever putting it in.  :wacko:

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

How do you people manage to cook all these different dishes, and keep them all warm until chow time?  Do you have like 12 ovens in your home?  Do you use crock pots?

We have two ovens (and 8 burners). You (generic you) make anything that is cold the day before (like cranberry, pies, etc).

When we serve for larger dinners (16+) Hubby cracks out the warming trays, three server crockpots, etc. We used to use chafing dish fuel with chafing dishes but moved on when the warming trays become nicer, cheaper and easier to use.

18 hours ago, Augie said:

The appliance repair guy (he’d know) told me Viking is nothing but a fancy name and a giant price tag. But a gold mine for him! Wolf is a little better. We have Thermadore, and it’s terrific for me. I believe you. 

My mother had one of those, and we rented a place for a year with one. It was so hard to clean it made me not want to cook!  

We had figured out how to run a gas line into our kitchen in Florida, which would have made it my dream house. Even bought the cooktop. Then we sold the house and moved to Atlanta before ever putting it in.  :wacko:

We have a built in Wolf oven, as well as a six burner Wolf range/ oven. Both are great. Have a Wolf microwave, it sucks. 

Real pain ain’t in da nads is the Bosch dishwasher. I️ almost do more dishes by hand that thing sucks so bad. Problem is custom front to it, so not easy to replace. 

Faucet from France sucked as well, both in kitchen and bathroom. Really can’t repair them, and both chit the bed within 5 years. 

And Gug, I️ had those ceramic electric burners here , and once we got into what it was going to take to get gas, we ended up doing the whole damn kitchen!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

We have a built in Wolf oven, as well as a six burner Wolf range/ oven. Both are great. Have a Wolf microwave, it sucks. 

Real pain ain’t in da nads is the Bosch dishwasher. I️ almost do more dishes by hand that thing sucks so bad. Problem is custom front to it, so not easy to replace. 

Faucet from France sucked as well, both in kitchen and bathroom. Really can’t repair them, and both chit the bed within 5 years. 

And Gug, I️ had those ceramic electric burners here , and once we got into what it was going to take to get gas, we ended up doing the whole damn kitchen!

Really? I love our Boch DW. SUPER quiet. You don’t even know when it’s on, and it does a fine job. We had one problem with it, and the repair guys said most problems come from putting in too much detergent. All you need is about a tablespoon. 

On 11/16/2017 at 5:18 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Lancaster 

I'm in Reading!!

Pretty traditional.  Mom coming down from Buffalo this year.

Roasted Turkey

Brined Turkey Breast

Stuffing

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Creamed Peas & Carrots

Brussel Sprouts

Gravy

Rolls 

Apple & Pecan Pies

Edited by Philly McButterpants

5 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Going to add a few new simple vegetables this year: (1) green bean almondine; and (2) roasted broccoli. 

Other than that, we’re going to have standard stuff:

1) 20-pound turkey

2) stovetop stuffing (I insist on only stovetop, not the homemade stuff; everyone gets mad at me)

3) twice baked potatoes

4) broccoli and green been cheesy casserole 

5) stuffed mushrooms (stuffed with clams)

6) sweet potato casserole, topped with a pecan crumble

7) homemade rolls

8) assortment of pies 

Jesus Christ!  The "glycemic load" on this !@#$er of a meal has to be through the roof!

I love it!  Maybe I will stop by JR... I promise not to take a bite out of the decorative fruit & then complain. 0:)

:D

we do the traditional thing...two turkeys, on in the over and one deep fried, but we also have a mix of italian dishes and comfort foot.  we'll have baked ziti, antipasta, an egg plant dish, then off to the side, homemade mac and cheese, twice baked potatoes, etc.  my wife is always into making one or two signature drinks, but that tbd. 

33 minutes ago, teef said:

we do the traditional thing...two turkeys, on in the over and one deep fried, but we also have a mix of italian dishes and comfort foot.  we'll have baked ziti, antipasta, an egg plant dish, then off to the side, homemade mac and cheese, twice baked potatoes, etc.  my wife is always into making one or two signature drinks, but that tbd. 

Did you type this with your elbow?

1 hour ago, TheElectricCompany said:

All standard stuff, but it's time to put the new kamado grill to the test with a 12 lb spatchock bird. 

Only thing different we do is creamy pearl onion & cheese mix. 

As long as its perfect, Mrs Electric is happy! 

Which kamado, and what temp and planning time are you going to use?