Thanksgiving Meal: Whatcha Cooking?

Jauronimo

30 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Brewery is open year round, my friend. I know you're a fan of the oat sodas.

Very good  tidbit of information.  Maybe I'll swing in there when I visit for lunch or drive her to work in bad weather.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

17 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Steamed, broiled, grilled? Details man, need details.

Strictly boiled for me. So the process: we go out to the beach Saturday night around 9:00PM and dive around until around 3 or until we've got enough. They go straight into the coolers with enough ice to last until Thursday which actually keeps a fair amount of them alive and pretty much 100% are fresh. If I see a nice fish I'll get it too while we're at it but it's pretty much just a lobster mission. Then drink a few beers until the sun rises, head home, and put the coolers in the garage and check the ice daily, refilling and draining as necessary.

Game day prep is just a quick hose off at around 8:00AM Thursday morn and make sure the flesh hasn't started to get gooey, which it won't if you've checked the ice regularly. Fire up the propane burners (three of them) under the tank which is just a repurposed stainless steel potting media bin, holds about 1000 gal of water or 5 yards of seedling mix. I usually fill it maybe half full, put a little salt and vinegar w/ the water, and bring it to a boil which takes about 45 mins...it's a big setup but we're cooking them all at once. Our lobsters here aren't much over two pounds each max, so figure cooking them for about 12-15 mins. Pull up the grate which makes retrieving them from the water A LOT easier (learned the hard way lol), set down on the table which has the accompanying 2 gallons of melted butter w/ 1 lb of crushed garlic and garlic-less butter for those who don't care for it aka idiots, get a bunch of napkins ready, and voila best Thanksgiving meal ever.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Strictly boiled for me. So the process: we go out to the beach Saturday night around 9:00PM and dive around until around 3 or until we've got enough. They go straight into the coolers with enough ice to last until Thursday which actually keeps a fair amount of them alive and pretty much 100% are fresh. If I see a nice fish I'll get it too while we're at it but it's pretty much just a lobster mission. Then drink a few beers until the sun rises, head home, and put the coolers in the garage and check the ice daily, refilling and draining as necessary.

Game day prep is just a quick hose off at around 8:00AM Thursday morn and make sure the flesh hasn't started to get gooey, which it won't if you've checked the ice regularly. Fire up the propane burners (three of them) under the tank which is just a repurposed stainless steel potting media bin, holds about 1000 gal of water or 5 yards of seedling mix. I usually fill it maybe half full, put a little salt and vinegar w/ the water, and bring it to a boil which takes about 45 mins...it's a big setup but we're cooking them all at once. Our lobsters here aren't much over two pounds each max, so figure cooking them for about 12-15 mins. Pull up the grate which makes retrieving them from the water A LOT easier (learned the hard way lol), set down on the table which has the accompanying 2 gallons of melted butter w/ 1 lb of crushed garlic and garlic-less butter for those who don't care for it aka idiots, get a bunch of napkins ready, and voila best Thanksgiving meal ever.

*frantically hits up hotwire.com*

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Big spread as always.

20 lb. bird

Roast leg of lamb

Lasagna

Eggplant parm

Sausage and meatballs

Stuffing

Mashed potatoes

Sweet potato au gratin

Caramelized butternut squash

Green bean casserole

Broccoli and cheese

Macaroni and cheese

Mashed potato pizza skins with bacon

Chicken wings

Stuffed mushrooms

French onion soup

Fresh baked bread

Salad

Ice cream cake

Pumpkin pie

Apple pie

Blueberry cobbler

Cranberry chutney

9 layer dip

Various crackers, cheeses, meats, chips and dip

Just an appetizer for Marcell Darieus.

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Wtf Have I been doing with my life? I feel like bum eating turkey.

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Wtf Have I been doing with my life? I feel like bum eating turkey.

Don't get me wrong I'm going to eat the crap outta some turkey, this is just a once or twice a year thing me and a couple of buddies do. Thanksgiving always seems like a good time, plus the women appreciate it. Total win-win.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Don't get me wrong I'm going to eat the crap outta some turkey, this is just a once or twice a year thing me and a couple of buddies do. Thanksgiving always seems like a good time, plus the women appreciate it. Total win-win.

Do you dive? My father in law is a diver.  He's down in St. Kitts or St. Lucia right now. Wants me to get into it, but I'm lacking time and money.

Going out for the first time. Long story, but we got one  who insists on making the meal getting too old, and one who insists that all dishes be done before we eat and arguments always follow. 

Gunna suck not being home, but its for the best

Edited by plenzmd1

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Do you dive? My father in law is a diver.  He's down in St. Kitts or St. Lucia right now. Wants me to get into it, but I'm lacking time and money.

Yeah, although I do a lot more fishing than diving lately...you talking freediving right? It's pretty cheap to get into, mask/fins/wetsuit if it's cold/spear/gun...could get some good gear for less than a grand.

2 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Big spread as always.

20 lb. bird

Roast leg of lamb

Lasagna

Eggplant parm

Sausage and meatballs

Stuffing

Mashed potatoes

Sweet potato au gratin

Green bean casserole

Broccoli and cheese

Macaroni and cheese

Chicken wings

Stuffed mushrooms

French onion soup

Fresh baked bread

Salad

Ice cream cake

Pumpkin pie

Apple pie

Blueberry cobbler

Cranberry chutney

9 layer dip

But.......what if people are hungry? How can you get by on just that? 

We go 100% traditional. I do 99% of the cooking, but the wife insists on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I’m just fine with that! The irony is my first Thanksgiving at her parent’s house freaked me out. She’s Lebanese and her mother kept bringing in kibi, grape leaves, tabouleh, labne, etc. I’d never SEEN any of that crap before!  She eventually carried in a turkey that had been cooked about a day too long. 

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Traditional at my house as always, but it's still great.

Turkey

Mashed Potatoes

Stuffing

Cranberry Sauce

Green Beans & Bacon

Home made Parker House Rolls (Yum Yum)

Apple Pie

Pumpkin Pie

Vanilla Ice Cream

You forgot the creamed onions.  ?

Similar menu at my place; wifey has some great recipes and usually has a new spin on one or two dishes.

Add plenty of good wine and that’s all I need.

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

You forgot the creamed onions.  ?

Similar menu at my place; wifey has some great recipes and usually has a new spin on one or two dishes.

Add plenty of good wine and that’s all I need.

Creamed Onions? No thanks

Although we might have A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving as an appetizer.

Popcorn

Toast

Pretzel Sticks

Jelly Beans

22 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Big spread as always.

20 lb. bird

Roast leg of lamb

Lasagna

Eggplant parm

Sausage and meatballs

Stuffing

Mashed potatoes

Sweet potato au gratin

Green bean casserole

Broccoli and cheese

Macaroni and cheese

Chicken wings

Stuffed mushrooms

French onion soup

Fresh baked bread

Salad

Ice cream cake

Pumpkin pie

Apple pie

Blueberry cobbler

Cranberry chutney

9 layer dip

I am coming over to your place, wow what a spread!  Well done sir.

23 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

How do you people manage to cook all these different dishes, and keep them all warm until chow time?  Do you have like 12 ovens in your home?  Do you use crock pots?

Two ovens, a turkey fryer, and a 6 range burner, and lots and lots of chafing dishes.

3 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I am coming over to your place, wow what a spread!  Well done sir.

Thanks.  I host for a large group.  The bigger trick is getting everyone to carry food out with them so I'm not stuck with all the leftovers.  I stock up on to go containers and make everyone fill at least 2 of them before they are allowed to leave.