ESPN Claims Taylor claiming racial motivation for benching?

oldmanfan

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I'm kinda desperate. At this point I think the only things I couldn't overlook would be if he was some kind of terrorist or the leader of North Korea.

And new Bills QB Kim Jong “The Un” is tearing up the league much to the chagrin / excitement of the Bills fan base!

Playoffs or WWIII, you tell me!?! :beer:

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Agree with this 100%.

But he didn't actually play the race card or say anything, so you two are using this thread to fume over a completely unrelated political issue.

May as well yell at some clouds while you're at it.  You're angry, we get it.

Edited by Hurricane Marv

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Haven't thought of it that way. EJ Manuel is probably the best black comparison to Bortles. Bortles is probably a notch above EJ in talent level, but still not immune to heavy criticism.  Bortles has certainly received far more opportunity than EJ ever did. But again, Bortles is a little better than EJ I think, still a bad QB though.

Bortles > Taylor

18 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Kind of a generalization, wouldn't you say?

Yeah, it was offered as a generalization.  I figured you'd be able to tell because I didn't get granular, or bust out charts and graphs.

Did you take any other issue with my statement in which I claimed a major media outlet falsifying a report is an example of why people don't trust the media?

50 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Yeah, it was offered as a generalization.  I figured you'd be able to tell because I didn't get granular, or bust out charts and graphs.

Did you take any other issue with my statement in which I claimed a major media outlet falsifying a report is an example of why people don't trust the media?

I think the generalization is 'no one', not the reason why.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

He may just be sticking up for the people who do trust the media anymore.

It's a strange point to make given the common understanding of the phrase isn't literal, but sure.  I'm sure that there are people out there who trust certain media outlets despite their willingness to engage in blatant fabrications. 

4 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

you know, I've never been racist, still not, never will be but it's getting really tiring hearing these players play the race card.

It doesn't seem to be Taylor saying it.  If I were guessing, some combination of picking up Sal's radio show where apparently he 2x said it's racism, and an old interview where TT said black QB in general were held to a different standard - that is different than "playing the race card" though I understand that distinction can seem thin -

Edit: it was Schopp not Sal

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
correct mistake

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It doesn't seem to be Taylor saying it.  If I were guessing, some combination of picking up Sal's radio show where apparently he 2x said it's racism, and an old interview where TT said black QB in general were held to a different standard - that is different than "playing the race card" though I understand that distinction can seem thin -

I mean Tyrod did play the race card. He isn't held to a different standard. We expect all QBs not to suck regardless of race. While he didn't blame race for his benching he did still play the race card in the old interview and should never have said that incorrect statement.

Just now, Kmart128 said:

I mean Tyrod did play the race card. He isn't held to a different standard. We expect all QBs not to suck regardless of race. While he didn't blame race for his benching he did still play the race card in the old interview and should never have said that incorrect statement.

I kind of disagree  - can you work with me a minute?

There's a significant difference between saying overall, a group is held to a different standard, and attributing a specific occurrence to membership in that group.

Example: overall, it can be shown statistically that successful Asian admittees to Ivy League schools have 120 pts higher SAT scores than their Caucasian counterparts.

That implies that in fact, they probably are being held to a different standard - at a guess, preferential admission for athletes and legacies.  There's a broad pattern.

But if one specific Asian applicant says "I was denied admission because I'm Asian", that's playing the race card and it doesn't follow at all from the general pattern.  Maybe that specific applicant wrote a sucky essay, or maybe plays squash and violin in a year where they're oversupplied with both and looking for bowling and oboe.

So it could be true, overall, that Black QB are held to a different standard, scrutinized more carefully, criticized more readily.  (I don't know if it is, work with me here).

Then at the same time, even with that broad pattern, Tyrod Taylor got benched due to performance issues (which he did).  Pointing out the broad pattern he believes he's observed, is not the same thing as playing the race card with regard to his specific circumstance.

6 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

What did Schopp say

I didn't hear it but several here said he twice attributed Taylor's benching to racism

• Like (+1) 1