Nathan Peterman to Start this Week.

26CornerBlitz

Just now, dubs said:

I get your point, but I hardly think that Bills QBs over the last 17 years is a good benchmark they should measure anything going forward against. 

I never said it was. But the only way seeing the most winning we've seen during the drought is a raw deal for fans is if the fans wanted to lose more. That statement is one of the silliest implications I've seen, but not surprising considering the source.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Any concern?      

dodging shoe thrown at me.  

I'm well past ready for a change.  This will be exciting to see how the new toy works out.  

concerns? sure. he is a rookie making his first start. one never knows exactly how one will perform once put under the microscope. we shall see. i am cautiously optmistic.

18 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

5-4 isn't terrible. He had some pretty nice games in those five wins. Miami is bad, Colts are bad, Chargers are beatable. I want this ridiculous playoff drought to end. Trusting the process means nothing until the playoff drought has ended.

The problem is McDermott doesn't believe he had the best chance to beat the Chargers ( a MUST win game) with Taylor at QB. The Chargers were going to play Tyrod the same way as the Jets and Saints. Tyrod is simply never going to be a pocket QB that throws on rhythm, finds the open man, or even throws WRs open. IF they had been able to retain Kromer and were running the GregRoman offense, Taylor would probably be doing better. We all know that's not what happened. The current staff was never married to the idea of Taylor, but were using him as a low risk placeholder QB. The possibility was there that Tyrod could surprise, but I doubt this staff was betting on that happening. He is what he is, and this was always likely to happen, it was just the when not the if. I like that McD is actually trying to win a football game, not worrying about being criticized . He's doing what he believes gives the team the best chance to win, rather than watching the ship sink on the 2017 season because it's the " safe play". 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

The problem is McDermott doesn't believe he had the best chance to beat the Chargers ( a MUST win game) with Taylor at QB. The Chargers were going to play Tyrod the same way as the Jets and Saints. Tyrod is simply never going to be a pocket QB that throws on rhythm, finds the open man, or even throws WRs open. IF they had been able to retain Kromer and were running the GregRoman offense, Taylor would probably be doing better. We all know that's not what happened. The current staff was never married to the idea of Taylor, but were using him as a low risk placeholder QB. The possibility was there that Tyrod could surprise, but I doubt this staff was betting on that happening. He is what he is, and this was always likely to happen, it was just the when not the if. I like that McD is actually trying to win a football game, not worrying about being criticized . He's doing what he believes gives the team the best chance to win, rather than watching the ship sink on the 2017 season because it's the " safe play". 

I hope it works. The O line could get Peterman killed.

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

i think you nailed it.  

5 minutes ago, No Cease Fires said:

If they didn't want TT they should have made this move in the preseason. Another inept decision from yet another inept Bills regime.

Yes, with Cardale Jones and Nathan Peterman as our QBs. 

7 minutes ago, No Cease Fires said:

If they didn't want TT they should have made this move in the preseason. Another inept decision from yet another inept Bills regime.

Or Peterman wasn't ready week 1, but now he is and they think he's the best option at QB. 

Throwing a rookie to the wolves week 1 before having some time to learn what it is to be NFL player would have been a disaster. 

1 minute ago, Heitz said:

Confused as to why everyone now loves Greg Roman - didn’t his O suck until Lynn took over? 

Everything has sucked for the last seventeen years or else we wouldn't be having a 52 page thread about a quarterback change.

I don't get the love for Roman, or any of his predecessors, or for Taylor or any of the quarterbacks that came before him (except Flutie, he was the last good one).

If Peterman is good, then great, we make the playoffs and we build around him. If he sucks, then we get our franchise guy in the first and then we shed the cap space from Taylor's contract. Win-win.

Just dreaming and having a little fun here...

IF ALL GOES WELL in the next few weeks with NP as the QB (maybe we dont beat KC and NE but if the offense actually is producing and we are still in the playoffs convo or in the playoffs as we currently are)...wouldn't it be fun to see some TT package plays? I know this is a pipe dream because Uncle Rico couldn't even involved these types of plays when TT was actually the QB...but humor me.

TT comes in for a few plays a game when we run a KC/PHI style read option...while still having the ability to throw. Less of a "we are scared of TT getting hurt" mentality because he isn't the QB1 anymore. Defenses would have to game plan for the WCO run by Peterman and some type of read option/college spread offense with TT in the game. Could be used situationally, or sometimes in the red zone...man I think it would be tough for a defense/DC to game plan for and then stop. Would add an extra element of the offense heading into the playoffs...would be real nice to see. 

On a related note...why dont we really see NFL offenses regularly use their weapons in unconventional ways. We are seeing SOME of this with KC/PHI offenses, and the way Oakland has been using that one WR. We saw GB use Montgomery at RB but that was more out of need. Is it because the NFL is too old school to really be innovative anymore? It's disappointing to see a waste of unique skill sets (like having TT sit on the bench for the rest of the season when he is a dynamic athlete that could create headaches if he isn't the QB1)..

Ok, carry on...

More then likely they thought Peterman wasn't ready and they thought they could get Taylor to be something he wasn't.  This is still a scary proposition throwing a rookie against a defense that is second in sacks.  

Another ballsy call by McD.  It worked fairly well with the trades before the season and I was doubting of those moves.  I'm going to wait to reserve judgement on this one.

Taylor is the best quarterback we have had in a long time  but, I do see how Taylor is the square peg in the round hole with this offense and Denison has failed to use Taylor appropriately and Peterman may be a better fit for what they are trying to do.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Confused as to why everyone now loves Greg Roman - didn’t his O suck until Lynn took over? 

No.  Roman was scapegoated by Rex and the CoT.

3 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

not my argument here but I have to jump in....you CAN make the playoffs with a losing record IF all the other wild card teams have worse losing records....for the record 

Which hasn't happened in at least 17 years, if not more.

6 minutes ago, Jeebus said:

More then likely they thought Peterman wasn't ready and they thought they could get Taylor to be something he wasn't.  This is still a scary proposition throwing a rookie against a defense that is second in sacks.  

Another ballsy call by McD.  It worked fairly well with the trades before the season and I was doubting of those moves.  I'm going to wait to reserve judgement on this one.

Taylor is the best quarterback we have had in a long time  but, I do see how Taylor is the square peg in the round hole with this offense and Denison has failed to use Taylor appropriately and Peterman may be a better fit for what they are trying to do.  

Nice to see a thoughtful, intelligent post on the whole thing.

On 11/15/2017 at 12:59 PM, ctk232 said:

I'm certainly hopeful and want nothing for this kid to succeed both as a Bills fan and an NP supporter. I like the kids attitude. But he's young and just simply doesn't have the reps or experience yet to not throw a pick or two. But I don't think what we saw in NO can be fully translatable - defense wasn't giving effort, nor did they prep for him and his timing/decision making. No one can honestly outside the preseason, but I don't know that that was a good trial balloon. He did make some great throws that we can hold onto for support, but it's going to be a lot more than just fitting throws. TT has left us hungry for a real passing game.

My issue is if the OL doesn't show up, he'll need to continually throw quick. This may or may not turn into an issue, but with Bosa and Ingram coming at him this isn't an easy first NFL game, nor the pressure of the circumstances looming around him. I wanted him to have a genuine chance and this has the potential to be much more detrimental to his development than not.

But here's to hoping. 

Yeah rookies tend to turn the ball over more. But while it is likely he may throw an int, it's also very possible he won't. I've seen all of his college games, living in ACC country. He is a gamer. The way he went into Clemson and beat the future champs, shows me that moments don't get too big for him. I'm hoping this translates to moments like this, his first NFL start.  I think he and Zay will be good connection. They seemed to have good chemistry at the senior bowl and in preseason. The NFL sample size is very small, but it is encouraging. Only time will tell.