Nathan Peterman to Start this Week.

26CornerBlitz

"Let's start with Tyrod

Tyrod Taylor is getting a bit of a raw deal here. This is the second time he's been benched. The first was by former general manager Doug Whaley, who didn't want to trigger Taylor's injury clause last season. Now, McDermott is benching him after convincing Taylor to restructure his contract and take less money. 

Taylor hasn't been the Bills' biggest problem over the last few seasons. Far from it. However, the inconsistency was too much to deal with. He topped out as an average to slightly above average quarterback and the Bills wanted more. It's tough to fault them, but it's also fair to wonder what Taylor could have been this season in an offense more suited to his skill set and with some better receivers than he worked with."

11 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I'm very curious to see if our receivers can get more yards after the catch with Peterman. 

The Bills were ranked dead last - #32 - in YAC in both 2015 and 2016. 

I wondered how much was on Tyrod's ball placement and waiting for a receiver to come open (which can allows a DB to jump the route and in turn not allow for YAC) but I was always quick to point out Greg Roman's offenses had usually been near the bottom of the NFL in YAC. So I was reluctant to put the blame on TT and was always quick to point out Roman's historic lack of YAC in his offense. 

Now the Bills are once again ranked the bottom of the NFL in yards after the catch (29th).

I guess this year you could put the blame on the receiving corps (although Jordan Matthews has been ranked pretty high in YAC (20-ish) in 2 of his 3&1/2 seasons. Lesean McCoy is also known for YAC and is usually ranked pretty high and Clay was pretty decent with YAC in Miami). But you have to start wondering how much blame TT deserves for it, with the Bills being on their 3rd OC with the same results... and Dennison's offenses have done ok with YAC in the past. His offenses have been ranked as high as #4 in YAC (which was not the case with Roman). 

I'm definitely curious to see if Peterman being able to throw the ball before a receiver breaks his route will have a positive impact on our receivers YAC. That has been something our offenses have been desperately missing. 

It's really a function of the roman offense.  He doesn't run much stuff over the middle because he hates turnovers.  A lot of out routes, and hitches.  They don't require throwing open, and you can't get any YAC.

Just now, JM2009 said:
"Let's start with Tyrod

Tyrod Taylor is getting a bit of a raw deal here. This is the second time he's been benched. The first was by former general manager Doug Whaley, who didn't want to trigger Taylor's injury clause last season. Now, McDermott is benching him after convincing Taylor to restructure his contract and take less money. 

Taylor hasn't been the Bills' biggest problem over the last few seasons. Far from it. However, the inconsistency was too much to deal with. He topped out as an average to slightly above average quarterback and the Bills wanted more. It's tough to fault them, but it's also fair to wonder what Taylor could have been this season in an offense more suited to his skill set and with some better receivers than he worked with."

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/11/7_thoughts_and_a_grade_for_bills_benching_tyrod_taylor_for_nathan_peterman.html

The QB change was a smart decision regardless of the outcome IMO..

Tyrod Taylor has been thoroughly evaluated and Peterman has not

While the odds may be against N Peterman becoming the next Bills franchise QB.  It can't be ruled out until he's tried and tested. 

So let the show begin...

32 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

The problem I have is that I think TT could have beat Miami and the Colts, and probably the Chargers which very likely would have got the sixth spot this year.

A QB that played in Dennison’s system better could have beaten Cincinnati and Carolina. Tyrod does not fit this system. I still think Tyrod could play well and be successful in an unconventional NFL offense but that’s not what we’re running. Ultimately we haven’t been scoring enough points. I know the defense sucked the past 2 games but the offense didn’t do enough for it to have mattered anyways. I think the defense will bounce back but I think the book is out on how to beat Tyrod in this offense and I’m guessing McDermott and Dennison saw the same thing.

39 minutes ago, Air it out Fitzy said:

What round was Tyrod drafted ?

6th 182 selection IIRC

25 minutes ago, JM2009 said:
"Let's start with Tyrod

The only ones that got a raw deal  were the fans.  

Sometimes a team needs a spark.  Maybe just maybe this is Tyrod's kick in the pants to perform better.  

20 minutes ago, Luka said:

Ah, you're one of those. Carry on then. :rolleyes:

Cmon dude it was a stupid comment. Every OC has a voice in his roster. He might not have final say but if he says 'hey i need a faster or better 2nd RB to win" chances are hell get more than 235 lb Tolbert.

15 minutes ago, Figster said:

The QB change was a smart decision regardless of the outcome IMO..

Tyrod Taylor has been thoroughly evaluated and Peterman has not

While the odds may be against N Peterman becoming the next Bills franchise QB.  It can't be ruled out until he's tried and tested. 

So let the show begin...

Yep.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A QB that played in Dennison’s system better could have beaten Cincinnati and Carolina. Tyrod does not fit this system. I still think Tyrod could play well and be successful in an unconventional NFL offense but that’s not what we’re running. Ultimately we haven’t been scoring enough points. I know the defense sucked the past 2 games but the offense didn’t do enough for it to have mattered anyways. I think the defense will bounce back but I think the book is out on how to beat Tyrod in this offense and I’m guessing McDermott and Dennison saw the same thing.

Exactly. He was never built to succeed in this offense. Im surprised they let it rock this long.

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

5-4 isn't terrible. He had some pretty nice games in those five wins. Miami is bad, Colts are bad, Chargers are beatable. I want this ridiculous playoff drought to end. Trusting the process means nothing until the playoff drought has ended.

2 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

not my argument here but I have to jump in....you CAN make the playoffs with a losing record IF all the other wild card teams have worse losing records....for the record 

That generally doesn't happen because the schedule design. These teams all beat up on each other. Someone has to win. This is why you never see a 7-9 team make the playoffs unless they win their division that way. 

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Unless the defense gets turnovers, they are in trouble. No pass rush and getting gashed on the ground for 500 yards in two games. Hopefully the turnovers begin again.

33 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Here's a hot take... I disagree with the decision, however I totally want Peterman to be awesome!

me too.

30 minutes ago, Luka said:

Ah, you're one of those. Carry on then. :rolleyes:

An intelligent poster with no agendas and some commonsense, yes, Marty is that.

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

That generally doesn't happen because the schedule design. These teams all beat up on each other. Someone has to win. This is why you never see a 7-9 team make the playoffs unless they win their division that way. 

remember when the seahawks did it years ago with 7-9?  did that win their division?

Edited by teef

18 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

6th 182 selection IIRC

The only ones that got a raw deal  were the fans.  

Sometimes a team needs a spark.  Maybe just maybe this is Tyrod's kick in the pants to perform better.  

The highest sustained success rate of any Bills QB this millennium is a raw deal?

6 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The highest sustained success rate of any Bills QB this millennium is a raw deal?

We can argue that every player cut this season got a raw deal.  

I have said this a number of times over the past 3 years.   New Coaches want their people.  Unless their name is Tom Brady your job in in jeopardy if you fail to produce.    

We expected more from "highest sustained success rate of any Bills QB this millennium"  as some would put it.  BTW ... when is a losing season a success story? 

Unfortunately for us all - Tyrod failed to produce. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I get your point, but I hardly think that Bills QBs over the last 17 years is a good benchmark they should measure anything going forward against.